Too Skinny Two - Another Puppy ?

I'm having the "same but opposite" problem with my puppy Lilly as a_daerr is with her puppy Truman. Lilly will be 1 year old 9/24.

She is TAAAAALLLLLLLLL! Taller already than any of my other adult greyhounds by a few inches. All leg. About a month ago she weighed 67 pounds, and I imagine she's not gained much. She's beginning to get some muscle development, but her little chest still looks like the keel of a ship - I can span it with the palm of my hand.

And I can KNOT get her to eat with any sort of enthusiasm! I have to cajole and spoon feed her just to get 1/2 cup of kibble and a Beneful prepared meal (the only other thing I've found she'll eat) into her twice a day. Talk about picky! I'm about ready to throw in the towel and let her get good and hungry so she'll eat on her own. She's only moderately interested in treats, too.

She gets lots of exercise a day - two 30 minute full-out, play/run/wrestle sessions in the yard with Whiskey and Toni, and several shorter walks a day. She sleeps well, seems happy and healthy, and has no other health issues. Our vet thinks she looks fine. :dunno I've never had a Greyhound puppy, so maybe I'm just not used to their development. She is of Irish heritage, and her parents are big - 80 pounds or more for both of them.

I don't have a good full body photo, but I'll try and get one.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Hmmm.... I'm a bit of a meanie about feeding. I would never spoon-feed a dog. I think you're creating a spoiled brat. And - you DO have a baby- you're actually doing the "puppy thing" that most grey owners don't do.

Put the food down. Leave it for a reasonable amount of time. Pick it up. Next feeding time - food down, wait a reasonable time, pick it up.

If you are SURE there is not a medical issue with the dog - why in the HELL are you encouraging bratty behaviour? Food is food. You eat - or you don't. If you choose not to - you get hungry. Hungry sucks. I've dealt with periods of "finicky" behavior - they're cured quickly by no treats, no special add-ins. Yep, some meals were missed - the dog didn't die. She got hungry and learned to eat when she got food.

I have a teenaged DD that would eat nothing but popsicles if she was given that option. It's MY JOB to not give her that option. It's your job to put nutritrous food in front of your dog. It will NOT starve itself. It WILL eat.

I'm sure this sounds like I'm being harsh or criticizing - I'm not. I'm just telling it like it is. Quit allowing yourself to be played - unless you're willing to spoon-feed for the next 15 years.

You're not saying anything I haven't kicked myself about! :rolleyes She'll eat OK for a few days, then get super picky again and I panic! She's a puppy and looks with those puppy eyes..... I am so toast.

I was around a group of new pups with our foster group last weekend. They're only two months older than Lilly and they look like little adult greyhounds. Even though Lilly is at least twice as big as they are, she still looks like a puppy. At her first vet visit, the doctor said she would be eating 2 cups plus by now, and she's just not even close. For about 2 weeks in July she was "almost" eating that, but not so much now. I know about too much food - we had two Great Dane puppies - but with her I worry about the opposite - that she won't get "enough" food to develop properly.

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Ditto everything sobesmom wrote. :) I honestly believe that the vast majority of picky eaters are created. The more you coax and mix-in, the pickier she will get. Additionally, if you're constantly cajoling her to eat and making a big deal out of meals, it can make her stressed about mealtimes and even less likely to eat.

I adopted my whippet as a bit of a spoiled brat at 4 years old. For the first week he was here, he either didn't eat or picked at his dry dogfood, clearly wanting something better and trying to beg for or steal my food when I was eating. His food was put down for 10 minutes twice a day, and whatever wasn't eaten was taken away. By the next week, he was finishing his meal in minutes, just like all my other dogs.

At 11 months old, Lilly is done with the majority of her growth, but I wouldn't compare her to the other puppies since different bloodlines develop at different rates. I make the same recommendations for picky eaters regardless of whether they are underweight or overweight.

Edited by JJNg

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Ditto everything sobesmom wrote. :) I honestly believe that the vast majority of picky eaters are created. The more you coax and mix-in, the pickier she will get. Additionally, if you're constantly cajoling her to eat and making a big deal out of meals, it can make her stressed about mealtimes and even less likely to eat.

Well, to a certain extent picky eaters are created. My Mum created one with our first cat, who wouldn't eat when she first came home. Mum cooked her a frozen cod fillet, which she ate. She cooked her another one the next day ... and her fate was sealed. Throughout her life, that cat would NOT eat anything else, apart from tasty meat scraps from human plates supplemented by rodents and birds which she caught herself (we are in England where cats are indoor/outdoor pets). So be warned.

However, we now have a picky eater who will literally starve himself to a skeleton if not given something he likes, and drops weight frighteningly fast when he's unwell. He comes from a very matter-of-fact racing kennel where he was fed the same diet as all the others in the same way: food down, left 15 or 20 minutes, food taken away. Half the time he'd tip his dish over and be found lying next to it having eaten less than a half. He still tries to bury his food here if he doesn't feel like eating. This fussy eater was definitely not 'created'. ;)

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

If there are no medical issues you can actually feed her less to get her to eat more in the end. Give 1/2 a portion, is she eats it stick with that for a few days. She will be used to ending slightly more hungry and be looking for more food. Slowly add in a tiny bit more each time. If she stops finishing, go back to 1/2 a portion and start over. Of course you can't start this until you go through the your not going to eat, then fine skip a meal phase. A good hint it to increase exercise over this time too to make sure she's really hungry! Rainy held out for 6 days before we can to an understanding about her eating what I put down.

------

Jessica

Lilly was spayed at 5 1/2 months - yes, I know all the debates over earlier vs later, and this is what my vet and I decided on. FYI she was eating this way, or not, before was spayed.

Right now, Lilly is eating 1/2 cup of Nutra Nuggets and a Beneful Prepared Meal, twice a day. For what it's worth, it's the kibble she hates. I've tried several different ones with her - all the way from Canidae grain free to Purina to the local store brand. She would eat straight canned food, or plain chicken just fine, but that gets very expensive, and isn't complete nutrition. Plus, she needs the fiber from kibble. The four other dogs really like the NN.

Asked about spay because I think greys are a little leaner and taller when spayed early. My female puppy Bella was very long and very lean throughout her short life. She did fill out some but not like other greys. I had her spayed at 6 months. Do not have any experience with picky eaters.

Linda, Keeva and Jack

Chris, you know I am generally pretty firm with my animal keeping habits--but when Kramer was a pup, he worked me into a lather! But! He was sick ALL THE TIME. Every time we went to the vet, the vet said, "He's underweight" and I knew that. Stuff was coming out of every possible location for the first year of his life, poor guy!

Once he was healthy, he knew he had my number. I finally got tough about it, and started with the 15 minutes, here's your food, eat it go hungry. Took a week, and he might have lost a pound or two, but then he started to eat like a normal dog and never reverted.

If the vet thinks she's OK, and there aren't any health issues, you KNOW what you have to do!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Hmmm.... I'm a bit of a meanie about feeding. I would never spoon-feed a dog. I think you're creating a spoiled brat. And - you DO have a baby- you're actually doing the "puppy thing" that most grey owners don't do.

Put the food down. Leave it for a reasonable amount of time. Pick it up. Next feeding time - food down, wait a reasonable time, pick it up.

If you are SURE there is not a medical issue with the dog - why in the HELL are you encouraging bratty behaviour? Food is food. You eat - or you don't. If you choose not to - you get hungry. Hungry sucks. I've dealt with periods of "finicky" behavior - they're cured quickly by no treats, no special add-ins. Yep, some meals were missed - the dog didn't die. She got hungry and learned to eat when she got food.

I have a teenaged DD that would eat nothing but popsicles if she was given that option. It's MY JOB to not give her that option. It's your job to put nutritrous food in front of your dog. It will NOT starve itself. It WILL eat.

I'm sure this sounds like I'm being harsh or criticizing - I'm not. I'm just telling it like it is. Quit allowing yourself to be played - unless you're willing to spoon-feed for the next 15 years.

YES~ YOU SAID IT ....it's black and white, establish good eating habits...for dogs and kids alike! :chow

i put warm(sometimes) water(always) in the kibble and once a day salmon oil...THAT's IT! felix, who i got at 7 weeks, went thru periods of looking really skinny. he didn't fill out until he was 3. i wouldn't worry, most vets are used to lab and goldens who are down right chubby. a good medium protien food is what works for fast growing/slow filling out dogs. they need less protien(not the 28-33+% foods, 24% is more than enough. exercise will keep you saine, her energy and strength is just starting to grow- then she will eat better. NO SNACKS unless you are training. and i would use kibble, cherrios, bread or something like that right now. a chunk of cheese or a morsel of hot dog will send he out on a hunger strike as she waits for more. out smart her!!

as to kids, i remember marisa (dd)taking a cooler w/ an ice pack around which contained the chicken leg she wouldn't eat at dinner. she carried that around until she ate it. she resumed excellent eating habits...that was during the terrible 2s. oy- don't remind me.

Day one of Tough Love! She didn't eat breakfast (which is the hardest one to get her to eat), but did eat it for dinner. She's getting a tiny bit more than half her normal amount.

Guest LindsaySF

I catered to Chase and fed her whatever she wanted, but she was 14 and had health issues. For the other dogs I am a totally mean mom. They always eat. :)

I'd deworm her if you haven't recently. Teagan went through a picky eating / too thin phase when I first adopted him which I think was a combination of having worms, me catering to him, and not doing well with the kibble types I'd tried (grain-free ended up working better).

I'd be interested in seeing a photo.

Day one of Tough Love! She didn't eat breakfast (which is the hardest one to get her to eat), but did eat it for dinner. She's getting a tiny bit more than half her normal amount.

Good job! I would take a picky eater over Truman anyday of the week! He gets into everything.

I came home from work last week, and he'd gotten into a 5-pound bag of flour. :headwall

Guest lanielovesgreys

I do worry with puppies that you haven't kicked all of the parasites. I probably over tested Laika, but she came back with worms 2-3 times. Persistent little buggers, although I can't recall which worm they were. But yeah, she was always all legs. I talked to another grey-puppy owner and he said he just couldn't get his boy to eat enough. Laika is 4 now and I'm just now starting to feel ok about her build. She leaves anywhere from 1/4-1/2 cup of kibble (I give her 2 cups per meal) almost always so I know she's eating as much as she needs.

All this to say, make sure it's not worms but yeah puppies can never seem to put on the pounds until they're 3+.

Update on day four:

Apparently my biggest problem was trying to feed her too much. Since I cut her food back by about a third to 1/2 cup kibble and maybe a 1/4 cup (two or three Tablespoons) of wet food, she is eating everything in her bowl! She just starts right in, and I don't have to spoon feed her the first few bites to "prime the pump" so to speak. Once she's gotten this new habit of "eating" down, I'll try an add a little bit more, but she seems to be keeping her weight, and she has the same energy level.

She did have worms after we brought her home, and we needed two courses of ab's to get rid of them. She's been clean for about 6 months and was just retested, so we're OK tht way.

Guest FreeholdHound

I know I am contributing to Harry's pickiness with his food. If he doesn't eat right away, I add some yogurt, if he still doesn't eat I take it away ( which kills me). My 13 yr old dughter was a micro preemie who was a challenge to feed & now a dog who twangs that same nerve! God's little practical joke!!!

Smaller meals and a bit more exercise seem to be the ticket for Lilly. I've been trying to get her a good lure poll session everyday. Those really tire her out FAST! ;) She's up to 2/3 cup of Nutra Nuggets and 3 TBLSP of a Beneful Prepared Meal. Though I actually think I could switch her back to our regular canned food and she would be fine. We'll stick with the BPMs for now!

Sounds like you're making good progress! Smaller meals, more exercise, and scheduled eat-it-or-loose it feeding works!

My goal would be totally kibble. Canned food for an adult grey is going to get really expensive, and a PITA. I don't know if any GT'ers feed a healthy young grey canned food. And there are good kibbles out there. And - AFTER you've established good eating habits - you can add in raw once in a while for variety and nutrients! My greys get raw whatever-is-on-sale-in-the-meat-counter once a week or so to supplement their kibble diet.

BTW- thanks for not getting totally offended at my first post. When I came back to this thread tonight and read it - I realized it looked kinda harsh. You obviously "got" that my intention was to get you to be ready to play hardball and fix your issue, and NOT to criticize.

Guest lbooras

Don't worry about how long and lanky she is right now. Friends of ours have a greyhound they got as a puppy and he is still all legs and very tall at 1yrs! They just develop differently if they don't race. Can't offer advice on the picky eating other than what everyone else has said. Some dogs also do not eat as much as others, she might be one of them for now.

Smaller meals and a bit more exercise seem to be the ticket for Lilly. I've been trying to get her a good lure poll session everyday. Those really tire her out FAST! ;) She's up to 2/3 cup of Nutra Nuggets and 3 TBLSP of a Beneful Prepared Meal. Though I actually think I could switch her back to our regular canned food and she would be fine. We'll stick with the BPMs for now!

I made Truman a feast for his birthday- cookies, cupcakes, muffins, meatballs, and even a turkey meatloaf. He gained two pounds!! The secret must be home-cooked goodies! :chow

Sounds like you're making good progress! Smaller meals, more exercise, and scheduled eat-it-or-loose it feeding works!

My goal would be totally kibble. Canned food for an adult grey is going to get really expensive, and a PITA. I don't know if any GT'ers feed a healthy young grey canned food. And there are good kibbles out there. And - AFTER you've established good eating habits - you can add in raw once in a while for variety and nutrients! My greys get raw whatever-is-on-sale-in-the-meat-counter once a week or so to supplement their kibble diet.

BTW- thanks for not getting totally offended at my first post. When I came back to this thread tonight and read it - I realized it looked kinda harsh. You obviously "got" that my intention was to get you to be ready to play hardball and fix your issue, and NOT to criticize.

The adults only get a spoonful on their kibble, just to make gravy, and that's my goal with Lilly too. A large can of Pedigree wet food costs $1.40 or so (not on sale), and will last 4 meals for five dogs, so that costing out seems OK to me. The Benefuls *are* expensive, so I'm hoping to transition her off them sooner rather than later.

On another subject, ev-er-y-one at my house LOVES the Beneful Prepared Meals and I'm going to use them when I have any sort of picky-eating or sickness going on. They really seem to spark their appetite and don't seem to cause any GI upset or bad poos. I wish I had tried them when Dude was going through chemo.