Chinese Medicine? Benefits?

I took Passion to a holistic vet back in May. She suggested that I switch her kibble to a turkey based. I forget why- something about Passion needing cooling foods because she's having seizures. She gave me a sheet of foods to feed and not feed.

She's been on this kibble for about a month but should I see any difference? And if so, what would I see?

She has not had any seizures but she's also on phenobarb. The reason I ask, I'm thinking of switching her back to a chicken based.

Anyone know anything about Chinese Medicine?

I want to do whatever I can for Passion. I've switched to another holistic vet and she does not practice Chinese Medicine so I can't ask her.

Thanks

And a picture....just cuz'

217651_10150958089032583_243537645_n.jpg

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Kari the only experience I have with chinese meds for a dog was for my Lab, Heidi. She started having seizures after she had her yearly shots at age 7. After a year of occasional seizures (maybe one to two per month) the vet suggested Chinese meds before trying phenobarbitol. They worked, she never had another seizure after going on the chinese meds. She lived happily until her passing at age 14+. So for my limited experience with Chinese meds, I'm a believer.

Tin and Michael and Lucas, Picasso, Hero, Oasis, Galina, Neizan, Enzo, Salvo and Noor the Galgos.
Remembering Bridge Angel Greyhounds: Tosca, Jamey, Master, Diego, and Ambi; plus Angel Galgos Jules, Marco and Baltasar.

I started Fletcher on acupuncture in May(?) and she gave him a pain reliever and something for back end weakness, both Chinese medicine, and the combination has really helped. He does not have seizures though, so I can't help you there. She did say something about his front being to warm and his back being too cool, and gave me some foods that would be good to feed. I've added more fish, but some of the other stuff he wouldn't eat.

I want to do whatever I can for Passion. I've switched to another holistic vet and she does not practice Chinese Medicine so I can't ask her

It's complicated and I don't understand 1% of it and have been using a vet who practices eastern medicine since around 1996.

Not sure why you switched, but it might be to your advantage to use the other vet also and see if they can come up with a treatment plan. Is the new vet IVAS?

Edited by Burpdog

Diane & The Senior Gang

Burpdog Biscuits

I want to do whatever I can for Passion. I've switched to another holistic vet and she does not practice Chinese Medicine so I can't ask her

It's complicated and I don't understand 1% of it and have been using a vet who practices eastern medicine since around 1996.

Not sure why you switched, but it might be to your advantage to use the other vet also and see if they can come up with a treatment plan. Is the new vet IVAS?

I think I mentioned I didn't really care for the first vet. She never came back in the room after she put the needles in so none of my questions got answered.

I switched to a vet closer to my house and recommened by a friend. She has a greyhound and spent a long time talking to me.

=============================================================

I'm not asking about acupuncture or medications- just kibble.

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

This is the food list- I want to know if GTer's believe in this food chart and does it help.

http://www.herbsmith...sp#coolingfoods

The vet wanted me to feed duck but Passion has had pancreatisis so that's why I went with turkey. I could go with white fish but she doesn't like the NB white fish and sweet potato.

Now I remember :) I know you are not asking about acupuncture, but it helps to know the vet you are using re background.

I'd have to ask my vet and she just left my house....I'll email her.

She was certified in Medical Acupuncture from Colorado State University in May 2009.

Edited by Wonder

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

we consulted with a holistic vet for Rainey as well, said Rainey was "sticky" and also "damp" -- she put her on an herb combo (mix of qing ying tang and ban xia bai zhu tian ma tang) as well as a pro-biotic and some enzyme. The herb stuff was SO nasty she didn't want to eat her food (and she was a total food hound!). I don't know if they helped, I don't think anything would have helped her at that point.

at one point (like 11/2010) this is what she was getting on a daily basis (found it in an old email!):

5:15am:

• 2 zonisamides
  • 1 Keppra
  • 1 amoxicillin
  • 2 doxycyclines
  • ¼ baby aspirin
  • ¼ teas pro-biotic stuff
  • 1 scoop pro-enzyme stuff
  • ½ teas mix of Chinese herbs
  • Scoop of food and pumpkin
  • Green beans

1:15pm

• 1 Keppra

• Green beans

6pm

• 2 zonisamides
  • 1 amoxicillin
  • 2 doxycyclines
  • 1 scoop pro-enzyme stuff
  • ½ teas mix of Chinese herbs
  • Green beans

9:15pm

• 1 Keppra
  • green beans

at the end of 11/2010 we added a thyroid med as well as Pentoxiylline (vascular med) and after 12/31/10 we added Pheno to that mix too. I honestly thought the Pheno was really the only thing that helped the seizures, she went the longest without having one once we did that. However, we started to wean her off the Zonisamide on 3/1/11 and she started having them again :( so maybe the combo of Zoni and Pheno was the best. We let her go on 3/8/11.

I guess I didn't really answer your question, sorry! The herbs can't hurt so I would go for it. She's only had the 1 seizure, right? With Rainey they didn't want to put her on meds until she had at least 3 (hoping the first was a one-time thing).

Looking through my old emails to her Neuro, other things he suggested was:

there is a hill's b/d diet that contains very high levels of anti-oxidants for nervous system support (b/d actually stands for "brain diet"). this diet has been clinically shown to have benefit with dogs dealing with cognitive dysfunction and aging brain changes. now i know rainey has had issues with pancreatitis, so i'll need to look into whether this diet would be problematic for her, but i would not expect it to be (it's not a high fat diet).

what i would recommend would be utilizing medications aimed at cognitive dysfunction, such as clomipramine or selegiline. i do not know if they would have any effect on the main symptoms you describe, but if you would like to try one of these, we can see what happens...the major downside is that these medications are not expected to work instantly, and we often will have to treat for multiple months (usually start at a low dose, and increase after 1 month if signs are not controlled...)

just throwing his suggestions out there. Passion doesn't sound anything like how Rainey was, and the Pheno will hopefully prevent any more seizures. Continuing to send Passion, you and Thunder many prayers and hugs!

ETA: found this when I did a search on the herbs I mentioned above: http://www.aompress.com/book_vet/pdfs/Sample_01.pdf

Edited by RaineysMom

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I guess I didn't really answer your question, sorry! The herbs can't hurt so I would go for it. She's only had the 1 seizure, right? With Rainey they didn't want to put her on meds until she had at least 3 (hoping the first was a one-time thing).

I don't want to do herbs, just want to know about kibble.

She's had 2 seizures that I've witnessed. Not sure how many when I haven't been home :(

You did a ton for Rainey Kim! I hope realize that :grouphug

Kari and the pups.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

I don't want to do herbs, just want to know about kibble.

She's had 2 seizures that I've witnessed. Not sure how many when I haven't been home :(

You did a ton for Rainey Kim! I hope realize that :grouphug

ah...sorry! I don't have any advice there -- other than in all the reading and education I got on seizures, rosemary is a suspect in seizure activity, and the Canidae we fed her had rosemary extract in it -- I think most if not all do, as a preservative. I don't know that it "causes" seizures, but maybe makes a dog that is predispositioned to them have them more easily...but what do I know. Maybe see if you can find one that works that doesn't have rosemary in it possibly.

and thanks :( I still feel like I failed her but I know she's in a better place now :kiss2:angelwings

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

i personally use acupuncture and chinese meds for myself. basically the philosophy is to get to the root of the problem, not to treat the symptoms. my acupuncturist always describes it as unpeeling an onion, getting down to the core. for certain things it works well, the responses are not as immediate and it may take longer, but once you have changed the path of energy (chi) and gone thru the healing of the herbs things improve. it doesn't work for everything. sometimes you need a dose of western meds to get a response, it's time, patience and consistancy.

from what i have experienced often the herbs can upset your system, start slowly and increase the dosage. dogs have supersensitve systems and seem to respond pretty quickly. my acupuncturist uses a human grade formular for her shepard w/ bad hips. on the formular she's a normal dog, off- a cripple. most acupuncturist do not like to mix e&w meds.

i hope this has helped a tad.