Dog Door Advice

Guest lovnmygreys

Guest dmgaudre

Hi everyone,

We are getting ready to adopt our first two greyhounds and need to install a doggie door. We are renters so will be getting one that fits into the sliding glass door. What size dog doors does everyone use for their greys? We've done a lot of research but are still having a hard time deciding which size to get. Thanks for any advice!!!!

Deanna

Fabulous to get two at once!

Greyhound Gang has a free Greyhound Guide, which is good reading for adopters.

Dog Doors.

I say don't skimp on a dog door. They get a lot of action, and a good one will last longer.

They don't need to be wide - skinny and tall is best. They are installed about 6 inches off the ground, and need to be tall enough for a greyhound to walk thru it without having to bend at all.

I've had them for 25 years, and I love them - as do the dogs.

It's been a while so I don't remember the site I ordered from. But it was free shipping, and a perfect patio door for tall, skinny dogs.

Claudia & Greyhound Gang
100% Helps Hounds

GIG Bound!

Guest dmgaudre

I know, we are so excited to get two! We started with the idea that we were only going to get one, but we both work during the day and new he/she should have a friend. We ended up getting two greys that have been fostered together so they are already greyt friends!!!!!

Thank you for the link to the Guide, I will check it out!

I've helped adopters install sliding-door-dog-doors a couple of times. They are somewhat adjustable, and on both we had to move one of the sliding panels down, to make the bottom step-over taller and the top of the door higher. The dogs do better with stepping over than crouching down to go through. But, it also makes a difference if there is a step down from the door level to the outside surface. That puts coming in at a different angle than going out. So, you may have to fiddle with a bit. Width doesn't matter as long as it is wide enough for the dog to go through. Taller is definitely better.

Pam

GPA-Tallahassee/Southeastern Greyhound Adoption

"Fate is unalterable only in the sense that given a cause, a certain result must follow, but no cause is inevitable in itself, and man can shape his world if he does not resign himself to ignorance." Pearl S. Buck

We have this door from Patio Pacific. # 12 size. All of my 7 hounds have used it. Smallest girl 25 inches at the shoulder, largest boy 31 inches at the shoulder. No problems with any of the, We wanted the Endura flap being in the Northeast. Been very happy with this door.

Edit to add link. Okey dokey. Google Patio Pacific. Won't let me add a link.

Edited by gazehund

This is a good website to find out information about pet doors: http://www.petdoors.com . Clever name, huh? :) Their FAQ page gives a lot of advice about measuring, rise, flaps, etc. One thing to be careful of with greys is that too large of a flap can allow people in, AND make it difficult to use the slider yourself. So take a hard look at the measurement page so you can figure out what you really need.

77f6598d-2.jpg

My blog about helping Katie learn to be a more normal dog: http://katies-journey-philospher77.blogspot.com/

Guest dmgaudre

Thank you for the tips everyone! We're looking at a 10 x 15 inch with a 12 inch rise which would make the top of the door at 27 inches. Anyone have one that size? We live in the desert where it is super hot and the larger the door the larger the electric bill!

I have the Patio Pacific with the endura flap, too. It has worked very well. I don't remember if it is the 12 or 10, though. I had to use angle brackets to permanently brace it within the slider track. Two of my dogs tried to go through at the same time (don't ask) and ripped the door out and drug it across the patio. Maverick needed stitches, but neither one are afraid of the door, thankfully. I have also found that my extra-large sister is unable to pass through the remaining opening to go outside. She is the only person who has been unable to go through.

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Ours is a 10x19 with a 9" rise, which puts the top just about the same as yours -- 28" total height, compared with your 27" total. I think 10" is wide enough for greyhounds. Your 27" height should be okay unless one of yours is extra tall. I read somewhere that the top of the door should be about shoulder height on the dog. I used to have a giant male who was almost 32" at the shoulder, but my current crop tops out at 28". Your 12" rise should be fine now, but you may want to reconsider when your dogs get older and may develop orthopedic or coordination problems.

How greyt that you're getting two -- especially two that already like each other! Life is about to get fun!

Two of my dogs tried to go through at the same time (don't ask) and ripped the door out and drug it across the patio.
I am just waiting for this to happen. Milo HAS to go outside everytime one of the other dogs goes, and he EXPLODES through the door. So far, however, the main negatives have been Romie and Milo bringing in their fresh kills. Three squirrels and 1 rabbit so far this hunting season. Thank goodness they left the possum carcass outside.

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

Thank you for the tips everyone! We're looking at a 10 x 15 inch with a 12 inch rise which would make the top of the door at 27 inches. Anyone have one that size? We live in the desert where it is super hot and the larger the door the larger the electric bill!

I had a 10.5 x 15 with a 12 inch rise for many years. Worked fine for 80+ pound boys, a petitie girl (she'd put a rear foot on the bottom and hop through) and Poodle and the terrier who hop through like circus dogs. I got a new back door and the same size door last year but put it on a 9 inch rise as Bella was having mobility problems and there was no big boy. Then two months later came my pony Buddy and I had to put in a bigger door. I have a VERY gently used Ideal 10.5 X 15 through the door dog door I keep meaning to put on Craigslist.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Dragon

I can't remember what brand we have, but it has two magnetic flaps, which is GREYT for insulation. However, be warned, it was way harder to train the dog door than I thought. For some reason, I figured I'd throw food on the other side, they'd go through and get the idea...They did not. It took almost 2 months to fully train, with some backsliding (my girl likes to pretend she doesn't know how to do things when she just doesn't WANT to do them). Now they love it though! It makes our lives much easier, and less expensive, as we don't have to pay a dog walker to come everyday!

Guest dmgaudre

Thank you Dragon, luckily my greys use the doggie door without fail at their foster moms! (I am so lucky!!)

Hubcitypam...I wish I lived in Texas to buy that door from you!

I had a 10.5 x 15 with a 12 inch rise for many years. Worked fine for 80+ pound boys, a petitie girl (she'd put a rear foot on the bottom and hop through) and Poodle and the terrier who hop through like circus dogs. I got a new back door and the same size door last year but put it on a 9 inch rise as Bella was having mobility problems and there was no big boy. Then two months later came my pony Buddy and I had to put in a bigger door. I have a VERY gently used Ideal 10.5 X 15 through the door dog door I keep meaning to put on Craigslist.

What size is the new door, and how big is Buddy?

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

What size is the new door, and how big is Buddy?

The new door is 15 x 20. It is set on the previous 9 inch rise and works very well for all. I can't find my tape measure to tell you how tall Buddy is at the shoulder (will do tomorrow) but he is the biggest grey I've ever had.

Guest dmgaudre

Ours is a 10x19 with a 9" rise, which puts the top just about the same as yours -- 28" total height, compared with your 27" total. I think 10" is wide enough for greyhounds. Your 27" height should be okay unless one of yours is extra tall. I read somewhere that the top of the door should be about shoulder height on the dog. I used to have a giant male who was almost 32" at the shoulder, but my current crop tops out at 28". Your 12" rise should be fine now, but you may want to reconsider when your dogs get older and may develop orthopedic or coordination problems.

How greyt that you're getting two -- especially two that already like each other! Life is about to get fun!

Two of my dogs tried to go through at the same time (don't ask) and ripped the door out and drug it across the patio.
I am just waiting for this to happen. Milo HAS to go outside everytime one of the other dogs goes, and he EXPLODES through the door. So far, however, the main negatives have been Romie and Milo bringing in their fresh kills. Three squirrels and 1 rabbit so far this hunting season. Thank goodness they left the possum carcass outside.

Thanks for all of the info. We ended up going with the 10 x 19 with a 9 inch rise! Plus since we live in the desert with the 110+ temps we've had here the last week and a half we got the dual pane with the endura flap door! Now I can't wait for it to be delivered so we can pick up our babies! :-)

• 4 weeks later...

I can't remember what brand we have, but it has two magnetic flaps, which is GREYT for insulation. However, be warned, it was way harder to train the dog door than I thought. For some reason, I figured I'd throw food on the other side, they'd go through and get the idea...They did not. It took almost 2 months to fully train, with some backsliding (my girl likes to pretend she doesn't know how to do things when she just doesn't WANT to do them). Now they love it though! It makes our lives much easier, and less expensive, as we don't have to pay a dog walker to come everyday!

Hi - We just adpoted our first two Greyhounds. Wonderful Dogs! We already had a dog door which one uses with no problem. The other is somewhat timid and having a hard time learning how to use it. What steps did you use to train yours to use the dog door? Any suggestions would surely be appreciated!!! ThanksQ

Guest zoomiegrey

I have a beautiful grey named Mikie and would love to get a dog door for my sliding door. He's around 74cm (29"). I also have a miniature foxy cross.

Are there any dog door suppliers in Oz that would be suitable for greys? I found one reasonably priced one, but the large flap was only about 50cm (nearly 20"). To fit my boy, it would need to be raised to around 25cm (10"), making it quite high for my 13 year old foxy to get through.

I was also wondering whether a hard flap versus a flexible flap makes a difference, or whether either is ok?

I have a secure backyard for my boy, but would like a dog door to keep the elements out. My miniature foxy is my security alarm!

As stated above I have a 15 x 20. The bottom of the door is 9" from the floor (and I have a BIG boy). The previous door was a smaller door on an almost 12" rise. My 14 year old mini poodle has never had any trouble getting out either one. He simply puts both front feet on the bottom sill and hops out. I'd bet your foxy can do the same.

People here will advise you not to get a hard flap. Trudy's dog degloved a foot on one years ago.

Guest zoomiegrey

A 12" rise is quite high! Way to go mini poodle.

I thought Mikie might resist a hard flap more than a flexible one. I definitely don't want his foot degloved, or even the remote possibility of it.

Thanks for the advice. This helps me to research local providers.

If it helps my first two were Petsafe brand and the current one is Ideal. Both are lower end doors but work fine here in Dallas where there isn't too much cold weather. I believe a lot of people in harsher climates like Hale.

As far as Poodle going through a 9 or 12 inch rise when you think of it that is less than jumping on the couch (16"). In concession to his age he has a step to get in my bed now, but it is at least 14" . Like I said he just puts both feet on the door and vaults over. Barkley the carin/tsu mix cracks my neighbor up coming in from outside. He launches off the bottom porch step and literally flies inside like a canine cannonball. It's hilarious - only a terrier....

Edited by Hubcitypam

I have this one: http://www.entirelyp...doorlarwht.html

It even has a picture of a greyhound on it! I think it's 11 inches... not sure if these fit sliding doors.

Doggie doors make all the difference in housetraining. I'll never go without one again.

I was looking for one made for a patio door with the nice glass and shiney frame...But one for my greyhounds was going to run $300+

So, I got one, like the one on your link, which is made to be put into a regular door from Home Depot for $70. It's 13 1/2 wide by 23 tall. Spent $30 for a 3/4 inch think sheet of finished plywood and then cut out the opening. That way I could make my own height for the rise. Which is a 4in rise making the height a total of 27 inches. The hounds can breeze through with minimal bending down.

door1-1.jpg

I use a metal bar as my lock to the patio door. Now I just need to do a little staining and Thompson's water sealing on it and good to go..hmmm $300+ or $100...I pick B your Honour.. :lol

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

Guest zoomiegrey

Great suggestions. I am not a particularly handy woman (although I like to think I am), but I like the idea of making a custom size door for my boys. The suppliers in Australia charge anywhere from $180 to around $500 for sliding patio dog doors. Maybe I will put my brother-in-law to good use! We don't have a home depot here, but we have hardware suppliers that I should be able to get all the tools and supplies I need. Thanks for your help everyone! Much appreciated.

Cheers

Jacinta