Yet Another Recent Adopter

Guest OPointyDog

Guest OPointyDog

Hi all! I wanted to thank everyone for this amazing resource - I've been using it daily since we adopted our girl Zoe back in April. It's amazing how much collective wisdom there is on this board!!

Zoe (formerly Franchised: http://www.greyhound...chised&x=23&y=8) has been through a lot and yet has been a tremendous trooper and maintains a very cheerful, happy attitude. She loves everyone and everything, and people are constantly telling us how she's not at all what they expect a greyhound to be like. Though I think most people just haven't met one!

She was retired from racing at age 2 in November 2011 with a fractured hock, and they did surgery then to repair the break, and put in a pin and spring. Somewhere along the way either the surgery was done incorrectly or the hardware came out of the bone, and she was quite still quite lame when we got her in April. Our vet immediately thought she was way too lame for a dog who was 6 months post-surgery, so did x-rays and found the hardware was basically floating around in the soft tissue in her leg, and referred us to an orthopedic surgeon.

So we'd had her less than 2 weeks when she had corrective surgery to remove the implants in early May. The boards here and our local rescue group provided so much help at this point - we were frantic when she would not wear the e-collar so we ended up following the suggestion to put duct tape on the end of her muzzle, which worked perfectly!! The surgery went well and the hock is completely healed. She's currently in physical therapy to rebuild the muscles in the atrophied leg, and also to alleviate some of the pain/spasms in the hip and groin area. Her physical therapist described it this way - "imagine holding up one of your legs for 6 months and see how you feel!" Zoe has been amazing through the whole thing. So relaxed that she fell asleep during the initial evaluation at the therapist's office.

I need to add her to the "my dog is so bombproof" thread. She slept through the 4th of July. She roaches during her obedience class. She naps during her physical therapy sessions and during car rides. She loves her crate and zooms in there every night at bedtime - no signs yet of any SA. It's amazing to me that she has been through so many changes and just seems to roll with it.

She is such a joy - we are happy to have her in our home and in our lives.

Getting a bath when she got off the trailer....

7607446216_f29cb85d34.jpg

zoe2_sm by Abizeleth, on Flickr

Love these floppy ears!

7607446182_0074c4a8d6.jpg

zoe_sm by Abizeleth, on Flickr

Roaching!

7607446114_93aef11644.jpg

hmd_zoe by Abizeleth, on Flickr

So many toys...

7607446054_24ceeea6f4.jpg

zoe_toys_sm by Abizeleth, on Flickr

More roaching!

7607446004_c2f7d87eaa.jpg

zoe2_sm by Abizeleth, on Flickr

Edited by OPointyDog

lookit that face and ears! welcome to GT!

Steve, owner/photographer Crackerdog Photography, writer of ShutterHounds. Follow me on Instagram.
Alex (Sanja Black Eyes [1989-2003] - Sanja Superfrank x TH's Fandango), Nikki (Ein's Ardonis [1995-2008] - Farmer Wilson x Legs Polly),
Sadie (Carla Tar [2002-2014] - Coldwater Guv x Canatar), Katie (Leading Home [2003-2013] - Iruska Excalibur x Impress Me Much),

Bean ([2013-] - DJays Octane x O Ya Cranberry), and Billy Bob (O Ya Billy Bob [2011-2020] Dodgem By Design x O Ya Cranberry)
gallery_14296_2881_11695.jpg

Beautiful, beautiful dog.... welcome!

My last one, Angel, had a shoulder injury (small unfixable crack in the actual joint that healed rough) and she had a leg with an amount of muscle mass missing until we got her running again. They learn to cope remarkably well. Look: large.jpg

Congratulations and welcome! Zoe is so beautiful and great and thanks for all you've done for her. (Love your screen name too!)

I see she's a DK's Prime Time girl ... I know a bunch of them out here in Iowa (all brindles!). :)

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

Guest OPointyDog

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! We think she's gorgeous, too, but we might be a little biased. :)

We owe a lot to her foster family, who did most of the work with socializing her and teaching her some basic manners. Yay for foster parents!!

We did have to teach her not to chase our cats - always a temptation when they run, but after 3 months everyone is settling down pretty well. We have baby gates up and the cats have learned to leave the room when the zoomies start.

The other trial was 6 weeks of limited activity after the surgery. The orthopedist wanted us to leave her in her crate 24/7 except for short walks to relieve herself! I just couldn't see doing that to a 2 year old dog in a new home. Fortunately, both of us are college professors, so we were able to be home during the summer and watch her to keep her from chewing on the sutures or zooming around. Once she started to feel better, she was ready to run so keeping her from doing that has been hard! But we've been trying to introduce activity gradually to keep her from re-injuring her groin, hip and shoulder. I think the physical therapy is helping.

She definitely has a stubborn streak. She does not like to go for walks if we come back the same way we go out, so it's been interesting trying to find short loops in the neighborhood while we build up her stamina. If you try to take her in a direction she does not want to go, we end up with the dog statue pose - she digs in her heels and refuses to move until you change your mind! I sometimes feel terrible when she walks home so slowly and stiffly - like she's in terrible pain. But then we walk through the door and she grabs a toy and goes zooming around the house, and I know that it was all an act.

We're still adjusting to a young, energetic dog. Our last dog, Star, was almost 13 when she died of cancer and her last year or so she was very subdued. We think Star was half greyhound, half German Shepard, which is what drew us to the greyhound breed. Star was pretty remarkable but had a lot of issues (afraid of loud noises, afraid of storms, moderate SA) and a lot of health problems at the end. Though one of the great mixed blessings in Star's life was when she went deaf at about age 10 and then wasn't afraid of storms or noises anymore!

It's been a year and a half since we lost her to cancer and we miss her every single day. Zoe is definitely helping to ease the heartache.

Here's Star:

5046295552_b349d55da2.jpg

our star by Abizeleth, on Flickr

3121883596_4aa3f2d36a.jpg

Yes, of course I want to go out. Why do you ask? by Abizeleth, on Flickr

363830600_61ad55f58e.jpg

Star goes on a W-A-L-K by Abizeleth, on Flickr

And one more of Zoe:

7096286955_0b22ae64ab.jpg

Zoë by Abizeleth, on Flickr

Guest OPointyDog

I see she's a DK's Prime Time girl ... I know a bunch of them out here in Iowa (all brindles!). :)

Forgot to say, yes, she is! I was shocked when I saw that she has 2,225 registered half-siblings! And 7,699 aunts and uncles! Her father and grandfather were busy guys!

And JohnF, I'm glad to see that your Angel recovered so well. She looks fabulous on that beach! The orthopedist said that Zoe has quite significant arthritis in her bad ankle - so she'll likely always have a limp. We're just trying to help her live as pain-free as we can. She definitely WANTS to run, and we look forward to the day when she can.

Congratulations!

Zoe is clearly enjoying her retirement. I hope her leg feels stronger soon.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)