In All Day Or Out All Day?

Guest chimni

Guest chimni

On Monday I'll be starting my new job and Sofia will be on her own for 8 hours at a stretch for the first time since we adopted her. Up until now, one or both of us has always been home at lunch to let her out, feed her, etc. So, she's never been in her kennel for more than 4 hours.

For those of you who work and don't have the freedom to come home for lunch, what works best for you?

We could just let her roam free in the house. She's been with us for about 1.5 years now and hasn't had any accidents or chewed anything up since we first got her... but maybe being alone with the cats for 8 hours would be too much for her.

We could let her roam free in the back yard... except that it's been 100+ degrees every day. She loves the yard, but the shade disappears at noon and everything gets really hot. We thought about getting a gazebo and putting it over her pool or a dog bed, but cheap gazebos seem to blow away/fall apart at the slightest breeze and no one would be there to fix things... and that could be dangerous.

Advice? Other options?

Here she is in the back yard in the morning when it's still cool out. Her highness quite enjoys things at this hour.

833945804_photobucket_198220_.jpg

833945804_photobucket_198218_.jpg

My husband and I both work 8 hour days. We put up a baby gate in the kitchen so Olivia can still walk around, play with toys (but she doesn't play with toys), snooze, whatever. This keeps her and the cat separate, the floor is tile and easily cleaned, and she can't destroy much (but she's not into that anyway). She had one accident early on in the routine, but never since. At first, I came home on my lunch breaks to let her out to do her business, but she never did when I let her out so I quickly stopped coming home.

At this point, I think I could trust her home alone for 8 hours, but as I'm a teacher, well, not an issue. But I know I will have to retrain her come August.

I would never leave her outside for 8 hours unattended. The dangers outweigh the benefit of not having accidents in the house.

If you can, you could start acclimating her to her new routine between now and then. Then it won't be such a surprise to her.

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

8 hours is a long time, to me. I know many dogs can successfully hold it that long or longer but it must get very uncomfortable. And some dogs cannot hold it that long, Summer being one of them. And what if something comes up and it becomes longer? Is there an agency or a friend or someone you could hire to drop by at lunch time, let her out, maybe take a walk with her? And no, I wouldn't leave her outside, not a good idea -- so many things could happen and you sure don't want to come home to an avoidable tragedy.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest IrskasMom

It's way to hot to leave her outside. Babygating is the answer . Put a comfy Bed in that Area where you put her and she will be fine.

My dogs go 8.5 hrs indoors just fine, always have, and they are seniors now. I would never, ever leave them outdoors unattended while I was away from home, it's simply too risky. I second the idea of starting your "away time" before Monday. In the end, Sofia is going to be fine, it's going to be more stressful for you worrying about her!

Sofia is one of the prettiest girls!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

I wouldn't let her stay outside. You can baby gate her in an area that is easy to clean if you're worried about accidents. If you leave her free to roam and are worried she'll get in to things muzzling her for the first few days to see how she does would be a good idea.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

I'd baby gate her into a room with a nice soft comfy bed and a bowl of water. Do you have a neighbor you would feel comfortable asking to let her out at noon? I have a neighbor who does this for me when I can't get home. She loves my dogs and I trust her.

In your situation I think indoors is better. Many, many working folk have dogs who stay in that long without issue. My dogs usually have someone home to let them out but when their "dog butler" has to travel they are stuck in all day while I'm at work downtown. We manage to make it work without accidents or destruction. They get plenty of outdoor time anyway, just not during the work day.

Her highness will be fine.

The notion that a dog can't be left alone for the workday is relatively new. If you can afford a dog walker, great. I don't happen to have the money for a daily dog walker, so I don't use one.

I'm on my second "my own" dog now; he's alone Monday-Friday for 9 hours. He does just fine. I do make a point of getting up early and getting in a good long walk no matter what the weather, but he's fine. My last dog was fine.

Doesn't sound like she needs to be crated at this point. I think I'd leave the crate up and the door open. To me a crate is a useful tool for housebreaking and for those dogs who find it comforting, but I would not be using a crate after a year and a half if my dog didn't have any issues.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest BrianRke

I wouldnt leave her outside. Its not a "controlled" environment and too many things could happen. Maybe block the cats in one part of the house, and her in another?

We have a dog door. I am out of the house 11 hours a day. Works fine for us and has for many years.

No, I have never found a dead groundhog in my couch. Just a pair of very much alive baby racoons who took a

wrong turn. :lol

:lol How did I miss that story? LOVE my dog door.

All I've had come in is one thunderphobic chow mix from across the alley that slept in my kitchen when it stormed then went home when it quit and Angel, another chow mix that would let herself in during storms and hop in bed with us.

Actually I have an almost brand new Petsafe large dog door that was only used about 2 months. The flap is 10.5 X 15 (several 85# greyhounds went through that model just fine in the past) -- then I got a pony in greyhound clothes. ;) I've been meaning to put it on Craigslist.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Wasserbuffel

We probably don't need to, but we crate Jayne while we're gone. She's usually in it for just 6 hours, because our schedules overlap, but we've left her for 8 without issue. We crate because she likes the crate and we might as well put her in it to keep her used to it, and it assures us that the accident prone little doofus won't cut herself on a pillow and bleed all over, or fall down/up the stairs (she fell UP the deck stairs once and needed stitches in both legs).

Guest ethan

I'm on my 9th and 10th greyhounds, have always worked every day and am away for 9 hours at a stretch and all my dogs have always done fine in the house. I don't have cats, but I would go with the babygate routine. Your yard looks very nice and I'm sure it is very comfortable for your grey but being outside all day is dangerous for many reasons and I would not recommend it. I know some owners who use a doggie door and it works for them. I'm sure your pup will do fine. All the Best.

8-10 hours for my boys to be bored in the house is all we usually push for. The longest Ryder has had to endure is 12 hours, and poor Kasey at one point 15. Not saying that making them hold it is a good thing (sometimes circumstances are beyond your control to get home - but if either of them would have gone to the bathroom in the house - I would hardly blame them! They can certainly hold it if they want to is all I'm saying, but every dog is different.)

I believe she should be fine out of the kennel in the house on her own during the day when you aren't there, however I am not sure if you know her behaviour outside of the kennel yet. IMO I would have tried to make a transition for her to lose the kennel and get roam of the house before starting a new routine this Monday. Not locking her up and suddenly not being home might be a double whammy for her all at once. I don't recommend leaving her outside. Certainly leave the kennel up but the door unlocked.

Make sure Sofia gets a nice long walk in the morning to do a full elimination, leave a little water for her to drink during the day until you know she can hold her bladder while roaming your house. A nice long walk when you get back and she'll love you forever!

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest maidmarcia

I have had to leave Licorice at home alone for 10 hrs. It's not ideal, but if he gets a good long walk before and a visit to the dog park after, he is more than okay. Lots of toys, a bone, the radio on.... All those things help.

Is there a way you can start smaller and work up? Have you left her inside the house, outside her kennel for 4 hours? Can you try that first? I used to come home at lunch and let Batman out. I was really stressed the first day I skipped lunch but when I came home, he was contentedly napping on the couch. We restrict his access to areas with only rugs and hardwood when we're out, but he's never had an accident.

8409816506_4027b1afc8.jpg

Batman (racing name CTW Battle Plan) adopted May 2011, passed away July 2017

Buffy (racing name CTW Bathsheba) adopted Oct 2012, passed away March 2022

Guest Maloy

I would keep her in all day.

I have a foster senior (11+) boy who will wait for 12 hours for his foster Mama to come home, even though my husband comes home an hour before I do. He loves his foster Dad but will wait for me no matter what my husband does to try and get him to go. He has free roam of the main floor and our 16yr old cat stays in the basement (her domain) because he does not do stairs.

They are amazing creatures and will adapt very quickly to your routine.

If she is used to being crated when alone right now carry that over and crate her for the first month or so of the transition. Then when she's comfy with that you can leave her loose in the house. Crating her for 8 hours isn't ideal but it's not going to hurt her if that's what she is used too. Just try not to make too many changes all at once. :)

My girls went from never being alone for more than 4-6 hours to suddenly moving to a new house and being alone for 9 hours on a good day, but 11-12 hours if BF or I get wrapped up in craziness at work last minute. I've been so impressed with their ability to adapt. I was ready to hire someone for a mid day turn out, but it's not needed. I have good puppers :beatheart

------

Jessica

We have a dog door. I am out of the house 11 hours a day. Works fine for us and has for many years.

No, I have never found a dead groundhog in my couch. Just a pair of very much alive baby racoons who took a

wrong turn. :lol

:lol How did I miss that story? LOVE my dog door.

All I've had come in is one thunderphobic chow mix from across the alley that slept in my kitchen when it stormed then went home when it quit and Angel, another chow mix that would let herself in during storms and hop in bed with us.

Actually I have an almost brand new Petsafe large dog door that was only used about 2 months. The flap is 10.5 X 15 (several 85# greyhounds went through that model just fine in the past) -- then I got a pony in greyhound clothes. ;) I've been meaning to put it on Craigslist.

I never told it Pam! Not much of a story but could be used for one of those eye glass commercials. :lol

I came downstairs one evening to go to the bathroom. I heard some bitty paws ticking around the kitchen.

I thought it was my two boy cats stalking each other as they often do. Went to the bathroom, came back out,

bumped into one of the "cats." Who growled at me. Turned on the light to say what the heck. Ohhhhhhhh.....you are

not a cat are ya? Okey dokey then, outside with you. Opened the door and they went their merry way. My two boy

cats were in the room. Up on top of the cabinets with eyes as big as saucers. Not one single dog even twitched.

We have had a dog door for the entire 18 years we have lived in our house. That was the only time we had visitors.

Edited by gazehund

Guest 2GreytsMom

Reading all these replies, it is so funny that they are all so different!!

My two have serious SA and love their crates! I say "kennel up" and they rush to their crates, tails wagging. We've been doing some alone training but it's moving really slow - they go crazy when I leave the house and my husband is still home!! My husband & I are empty-nesters so they get their crates in their own bedroom! They will go in there to sleep in the sun or just get away for some peace & quiet when we're home even.

At any rate, I crate them when we're at work between 6-8 hours a day and on occasion it's been as much a 10 hours.

We try to give them as much exercise as possible before and after work whether it's a walk or a run around the backyard and it works out fine.

I can't even imagine letting them out to do their business by themselves let alone all day!! That would be asking for major trouble at my house. Wiki is accident prone and I'm sure she'd injure herself - the delicate baby has had too many scrapes and bruises from rocks, bushes & Billy's rough housing.

Plus, they'll eat ANYTHING! poop, bugs, worms, leaves, grass... I shudder to think about what they'd do with the bunnies, chipmunks or squirrels!

Forget about the muzzle - they can manage to scrape them off on furniture, our legs or each other so I don't trust the muzzle to stay on!

I'm sure Sofia (love the name!) will be just fine! A little extra exercise and loving when you are home & she'll be happy!

Guest chimni

Thanks all for sharing your experience!

We've been leaving here alone in the house for 2-4 hours at a time over the past week and she's done just fine - ignores the cats, mostly naps, etc. We moved to a neighborhood with a strong sense of community, so we might actually have a couple of neighbors we could ask about letting her out once a day. Good advice!

Not one single dog even twitched.

We have had a dog door for the entire 18 years we have lived in our house. That was the only time we had visitors.

That's right up there with Heather's kamakzi kitten who came in the dog door and walked past an army of sleeping greyhounds to their bedroom. :)

It's amazing to me that it took Buddy weeks to learn the dog door but the two chows went to school on watching mine go in and out through the chain link fence.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest chimni

Queen Sofia is sitting here saying, "Peasant, this adds greatly to the comforts of my kingdom. Once you finish filling thee royal pool to the top, I may consider knighting you."

833945804_photobucket_198827_.jpg

Guest TeamLily

Thanks chimni (love the pool picture!!) for starting this thread and everyone for your posts. I am less concerned about accidents as we can work out only one carpeted room by closing doors, but I woulud hate to think all was well and come home to a destroyed couch.

If our girl is VERY calm most of the time, how likely is she to suddenly freak out and start destroying things? We've been putting her in the crate for up to about 3 hours so far with no fighting going in and no destructive behavior once she's in the crate. Thanks!