Let's Talk Joint Supplements

Guest LindsaySF

Guest LindsaySF

In the past, when I've given my dogs joint supplements I've given them Cosequin. It was what my vet recommended, and it's well known. Now I've been doing some reading and there are aaaaall sorts of joint supplements out there, all different ingredients, and I'm a little lost. :blush I also read here on GT about some people buying horse products instead to save money, or just giving human glucosamine tablets.

So I wanted to ask.... If you use a joint supplement, which one? What do you use it for? (Pre-existing injury, diagnosed condition, general arthritis prevention, etc). What ingredients do I want? Glucosamine and chondroitin obviously, but what about MSM, Mussel, Boswellia, Vitamin C, Hyaluronic acid, etc? Do I need those too? What mg? Can you give too much of something and cause problems?

I've been giving Cody (~ 10 years old) Cosequin DS Plus tablets. Each tablet contains:

Glucosamine HCl....................... 600 mg

Sodium Chondroitin Sulfate....... 300 mg

MSM.......................................... 250 mg

Manganese................................ 5 mg

I started Andy on "ArthAway" powder at the recommendation of his physical therapist. I had never heard of this product before but she sells it at her facility. (Andy had an old hock injury, x-rays show severe osteoarthritis). The container gives the guaranteed analysis per ounce, but the analysis per 1.5 tsp is below. (The recommended dose for Andy's weight per day).

Glucosamine............. 750 mg

Chondroitin................ 311.25 mg

Vitamin C................... 528.75 mg

Hesperidin................. 521.25 mg

MSM.......................... 264.75 mg

Creatine.................... 150 mg

Vitamin E................... 8.25 IU

Yucca........................ 120 mg

Hyaluronic acid.......... 7.5 mg

Teagan is turning 8 in August, but he hasn't aged gracefully, and could probably benefit from a joint supplement too. Would I pursue a different product for him than Andy? Or giving him the same thing would be okay?

Any advice or thoughts are welcome. Thanks! :)

~Lindsay~

I've given a bunch of different supplements over the years. Currently I am giving the girls (8 & 10) Springtime's Joint Health and Fresh Factors, as a support/preventative. Neither one has any arthritis or other health issues, but both raced before they became broodies, so I figure it can't hurt :dunno Fletcher (10) has pretty bad arthritis, and started having problems starting about 6 yrs old. Currently he is on Arthrisoothe Gold and Fresh Factors. I switched to the Arthrisoothe Gold because it has Green Lipped mussels, Boswellia, and Yucca as well as the usual stuff. I get it from Amazon. I have arthritis myself, and know that boswellia, at least, does help.

btw, Fletcher is a racing school drop out, never raced

edited to add, Arthrisoothe Gold: (per tablet, he takes 2/day)

glucosamine 500 mg

msm 500 mg

chondroitin 200 mg

green lipped mussel 200 mg

boswellia serrata 90 mg

yucca schidigera 90 mg

vitamin C 60 mg

type II collagen 32 mg

zinc 7 mg

hyaluronic acid 6 mg

vitamin E 60 IU

Edited by Remolacha

Given that I also take Glucosamine/Chondroitin as a human and it eases some of the 'fire' from knee problems, I imagine it goes some way to helping dogs too even though its effectiveness is often cited as being little better than a placebo in human trials.

What I do think helps though is Vitamin E which works with Zinc metabolism in new cell growth.

My last dog, who had a shoulder injury that couldn't be operated on, was on the Glocosamine Chondroitin and Green Lipped Mussel, and also on Meloxicam for many years (dosed conservatively to hold back kidney problems from developing until late old age).

Three of mine get a supplement BID that I buy at Costco, Glucosamine/MSM combo, 1500mg each component, 375 tabs for ~$19.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Currently using Springtime's Advanced Joint Tabs; DGP pills; & Duralactin BID on Momma. She also gets Longevity. I am sold on the Springtime products-have actaully observed unbelievable results over the years with Fresh Factors. Recently impressed with the Duralactin as well. This keeps her off the chemical NSAID's that might have unwanted side effects. If there is a flare up most of the tiem it can be handles by Traumeel drops or other homeopathics prepared by my holistic vet. Again this protects her form the side effects of the chemical NSAID's.(By the way, I am not against "synthetic chemical" pharmaceuticals. I am actually a chemist. That is why I respect what they can do good and bad and use them as a last resort.)

Solid Gold Healths Yucca formulation is also effective for short term acute injuries.

I have been feeding equine products to my dogs for several years.

Our vets support this idea and the equine products are cheaper than the canine ones.

Our GSD was on Cosequin for a number of years and was active until she was into her 14th year.

I used to feed Cosequin powder to both horses and dogs.

However, it is not available here in Canada any more -- only from the vet and it is twice the price as in the US.

So, after having wonderful success with 'Recovery EQ' with one of my horses, I have switched Nixon on to that.

Currently I am only giving the Recovery to Nixon. He is 7 and had over 130 races.

I am not giving Ruby (5 and did not race as much) or NIgel ( just turned 4 and was a racing drop-out) any joint products at all.

'Recovery' does come in a 'canine' version, but the manufacturers and my vet have confirmed that the equine version is the same product. Different packaging. More money.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

I use Springtime Fresh Factors and original Joint Health (not the formula with Boswilia, which they won't take)for all of mine. I also give them a human brand multi-vitamin every day (without iron) and they get 1200 mg of Fish Oil (human capsules) twice a day. Seems to work well for my pack.

Mom to Melly and Dani

Greyhound Bridge Angels - Jessie, Brittne, Buddy,

Red, Chica, Ford and Dodge.