Stopped Drinking - Why?

My Bella (6yrs old) suddenly stopped drinking, she use to guzzle her water down. Now, she started having some pain issues while getting up from bed or going down the stairs (last week), my vet figures it's a pulled muscle and prescribed metacam and rest. Now the thing is, I'm pretty sure Bella stopped drinking a day or two before going on the metacam (the bf or I usually fill her bowl, and can't figure out when she stopped). Right now I'm mixing some ensure with water to get her to drink, as well water in her kibble (she's eating fine). Tried different bowl, places, bucket, bottled, tap etc. I will call the vet tomorrow morning.

So I'm wondering, do pain(crying when getting up) and not drinking water indicate a certain illness?

Here's the neck/back pain theard:

http://forum.greytal...-or-back-issue/

Edited by Yamaha_gurl

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

If she isn't moving around as much, she won't be as thirsty. Wouldn't worry unless she's dehydrated (tacky gums, skin over shoulder stays tented up rather than snapping right back when you pinch up a bit, extremely bright/dark and scanty urine).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Since she's your only dog, or at least I think so, start measuring the water out to see how much she actually is drinking. It may be that bending her neck down to drink from the bowl is causing her pain so she's drinking less for this reason. If you feed kibble you can add extra water to her food and that will help to make sure she gets what she needs. I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Try setting her water bowl on something so she doesn't have to bend down to drink. Bending down may be putting pressure on the muscles that are injured. You can also add some chicken or beef broth to it (low sodium).

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Have you checked to see if she's dehydrated? It's been hot here so she should be drinking more not less. If she's not dehydrated though, I wouldn't worry. Have you seen the frozen popsicles. Maybe you can substitute this for her fluid intake.

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I'd say no, she isn't dehydrated...gums a tad bit tacky, but she's peeing like normal. She just drank some canned salmon water, so that's good. Still though, she use to guzzle her water, now I have to encourage her...I'm just thinking it might be related to the neck pain...

Sounds like you are doing the right things; adding water to her food, ensure, etc. I don't know about you but when I'm in pain I don't always eat or drink like I normally do. I don't know of anything that pain and not drinking would indicate. On the other hand if she were drinking too much and peeing a lot I'd be worried about diabetes. Good luck.

A year ago Spencer went on what people then called a "water strike" after he had a dental. It's apparently not entirely rare, but no one seemed to know why it happens.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Thanks for the info everyone. Greyhead, I have read about some dogs not wanting to drink after surgery. I have also read about a herniated disc and that being brought on BY being dehydrated...could it be that the neck pain was caused by her not drinking? Hmmm. I'm googling like a crazy woman! lol I'm making sure she is getting tons of water...salmon water, tuna water, water in her kibble, even bought some puppy food (added water).

If you stuff her with water, you run the risk she'll bloat.

RELAX.

If she isn't dehydrated, she's drinking as much as she needs to. Really.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest zombrie

If you stuff her with water, you run the risk she'll bloat.

RELAX.

If she isn't dehydrated, she's drinking as much as she needs to. Really.

Yup... I wouldn't panic.

If she's still not drinking tomorrow and if she seems dehydrated, you might ask the vet if you can bring her in for some sub-q fluids. We did that with Spencer -- gave them at home, actually, cuz we know how -- and that was enough to rebalance him that he started drinking on his own. You can try to relax, but I couldn't after the first day. ;)

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Agree...if she's not dehydrated I wouldn't be too worried.

She may be getting enough with the extra liquid on her kibble.

I'd elevate her bowl very high...put it on a plant stand or a small table... so she does not have to bend over AT ALL to drink.

Make sure it is very fresh water.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg

Guest LindsaySF

Since she's your only dog, or at least I think so, start measuring the water out to see how much she actually is drinking. It may be that bending her neck down to drink from the bowl is causing her pain so she's drinking less for this reason. If you feed kibble you can add extra water to her food and that will help to make sure she gets what she needs. I hope she gets to feeling better soon.

Agreed. I would assume drinking less water might be due to neck pain, and/or she's just less active in general due to not feeling 100%. Keep an eye on her urine and check for dehydration, but if she's not dehydrated then I wouldn't worry.

Guest LindsaySF

As mentioned above, possible neck pain from bending to drink, or the pain causing her to be less active in general, could be the cause of the decreased water consumption.

Guest KsFrets

Our male Magnus crashed trying to go through a door at the same time as one of our fosters. He stopped eating and drinking, and yelped when he woke up from a nap and tried to get up. He normally drinks from a bucket and eats from dish on the floor. We had to elevate his water and food, and he began drinking and eating again. It took a couple weeks before he was back to normal and drinking from the floor bucket again. He obviously had neck pain that stopped him from getting low enough to drink from the bucket. We massaged his neck and shoulders a lot, and he loved it. When massaging I also feel for fevered muscles, swelling, tender spots, or anything that's different from one side to another.