Bringing Home My First Greyhound; Tips And Advice, Please?

Guest kelsosaurus

Guest kelsosaurus

After researching many breeds, I concluded that a greyhound seems like the perfect fit for my household. However, I've never owned one and would really like some advice and tips for bringing one home. :) I'll be going to pick up my new girl, a retired racer, in 5 days.

Here's the only picture I managed to snag of her that wasn't too blurry whenever I went to visit:

14943510150952803694933.jpg

I have no other dogs. Thanks in advance!

Guest poofmagk

Congrats! We are also new to the greyhound world and I'm sure you will get lots of great advice here. In general I would say routine, consistency, and patience seem to work well as a lot of issues seem to work themselves out over time. Adoption groups and greytalk are very supportive when questions arise. Lots of belly rubs may be expected :).

Guest widowcali

One helpful thing would be to purchase the Dummies Guide to Adopting a Retired Racing Greyhound (I can't remember the exact title and my greyhound ate mine)

That book will answer a lot of your questions. Your group will also be very helpful. Many of them have a "new parent" resource where a volunteer will check in with your periodically to make sure everyone is doing okay.

Remember that your new baby may be fresh off the track, so being a house dog is just as new to her as being a doggy momma is to you.

You don't need to invest lots of money into making your home "greyhound friendly." Go to your local thrift store and get a couple of thick quilts for baby to sleep on. Not many of them, fresh off the track, know what a doggy bed is. So the quilts will work until she gets her bearings. Get a couple of good quality toys (kongs are always helpful, and something that squeeks).

Make sure you know what the adoption group has been feeding her so you have that food on hand. If you want to change, introduce the new food slowly. The adoption group I got Wid from fed Science Diet, which is an okay food. But the smell made me want to hurl, so I had to switch. You may also want to get a tin of pumpkin and a container of Plain or Vanilla flavored yogurt. Those seem to help with any tummy issues. Some folks phase that out when the dog gets settled, some folks keep it as a standard part of the diet.

If you don't already have one, start researching vets. Your adoption group might have one that they like to work with. Or you can get referrals from other adopters in the group. Make an appointment, once baby comes home, for a get acquainted visit.

The very most important thing to me is not to lose them. A collar with tags should be worn at all times, so you have something to grab if she starts heading out the door. And all family members and friends need to be indoctrinated about keeping doors and gates securely closed.

It doesn't appear that she has been fostered, as neither of mine were, so it's all going to be completely new to her. We were told to keep "eyes on the dog" for the first 24 hours. The most dangerous thing, I think, is glass, which she'll know nothing about. Many people, in addition to showing the sliding doors to the dogs, put decals on them as a reminder that they are solids!

Congratulations! She looks like a sweet girl.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Patience time patience time patience time patience time patience time patience time patience time

Oh, and be sure to be really patient and give her - and yourself - lots of time to adjust. :P

We have a lot of new adopters jump right on here and say "My dog is Xing, and I'm freaking out about what to do about it" (or words to that effect) and the dog has only been in their home for a week. That's NOT enough time. The dog you bring home will likely take some time to settle in and settle down, and her true personality will emerge as she becomes comfortable and begins to trust you.

If you're going to be leaving the dog for work, you'll need to begin "alone training" right away. Be diligent and consistent. This is true for all the house rules. Greyhounds learn rules very fast if there is consistency in application. They sincerely (for the most part) want to please their humans, and any mistakes can be hard on them. Some are sensitive to your tone of voice to the point they will wilt if you speak harshly to them - and the opposite can also be true!

Be extra careful when approaching your dog when she's sleeping, either on her own bed, or the furniture or people bed (if she'll be allowed those priviledges). Greyhounds have NEVER had to share their personal space with ANYTHING so the can sleep startled quite aggressively, especially in the beginning. Always call their name from a few steps away, and make SURE they're awake and not sleeping with their eyes open, before touching them. Some get over it and some don't and you won't know which you have until you do. Many people do not allow a new dog any furniture priviledges for a few months.

The most important thing is to really be patient and take the time to enjoy this new facet in your life. Greyhounds are really wonderful companions, as you'll soon see!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

It took my first greyhound about 8 months to truly come out of his shell. So give her time to settle. A required reading when we got our first was Retired Greyhounds for Dummies. It answered a lot of questions and gave us stuff to think about for when our guy got here.

CONGRATS!!

Congratulations!!!!! She's lovely. I so agree with greysmom.....patience & time are all-important. You'll be amazed at how she changes over your first year.

One thing that helped me was consistency.....if it's a rule, it's ALWAYS a rule.

Enjoy, and feel free to ask anything, there's always someone here who's been there, done that.

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

The two biggest things I can think of, never give your greyhound a chance to escape. Be careful around doors and especially gates (lock if possible), baby gates in the house are your best friend because once your greyhound escapes, it could be days before it is found again, if at all.

Secondly, be patient, very patient. These greys take a while to adjust to home life from the track. Don't think your new dog doesn't like you or is depressed because it doesn't react to situations the way you think it should. Give her time to adjust to home life in her own time. Don't try and rush her. Research and learn everything you possibly can about the breed and home life.

Congratulations!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Usually, it's not a problem for a hound to adjust. But it can take some time. Be careful as everyone says about escapes. Loop the leash through your hand, and use an appropriate martingale collar. Don't open car doors until the hound is leashed firmly, etc.

Some hounds have a hard time being only dogs- that is a big shock to them after growing up on the farm with their families, then living on the track. So, give her time to get used to that if needed.

Most of all, take lots of pictures, remain calm (she'll sense that), and come here with any questions (and to your group, of course).

What's her racing name? She sure is pretty!

Guest kelsosaurus

That girl sure resembles a girl in the kennel at our group, is that Cornella????

It certainly is Cornella!!

Thanks, everyone. :)

Congratulations on your new girl. Lots of good advice already given to you.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is how sensitive greys are to a raised voice. It takes very little to upset or frighten a grey. Your grey has lived in a world where she is controlled so that pretty much whatever she does is OK. If your girl is doing something you don't want her to do Walk up to her, tell her "no" or "unh unh" and redirect her to what you want her to do such as give her a toy, or if it is a potty issue quietly but quickly take her outside and praise her as soon as she is finished with potty. I also let new dogs out very frequently and praise when they potty so they pick it up really quick.

Most of all enjoy and love her!

Another good book recommended to me by my adoption group is Cynthia Branigan's Adopting the Racing Greyhound. It's an easy read -- I read it about 3 times before bringing Olivia home. I was glad I did!

Qui me amat, amet et canes meas...et felem.

Olivia (RDs Merrygoround, b. 4/6/07, Gotcha 12/19/11

Chloe (PAR Candice, b. 5/22/08, Gotcha 12/18/12)

Guest twoskinnydogs

Kelsosaurus, I was with Julie when we picked Cornella up at the track in WV. You can't send messages yet but if you need anything after you get her call either Julie or Me.

Her racing name is UMR Cornella and came from Mud River Kennels in WV. Some of her littermates are still racing at Tri State and we will most likely get them too.

You are going to enjoy "Corn"ella, shes a fun and loving little girl.

Jason

Guest twoskinnydogs

Forgot to add.....she came from Tri State so all her race replays are available at trackinfo.com, search under her racing name to locate them...

There's this one page "essay" that floats around GT every once in a while that talks about the changes in a greyhound's life when he or she gets adopted, and it's told from the perspective of the greyhound. It's very enlightening and has been helpful for me, also a first time adopter. I can't find it anymore--could somebody please post it again?

Edited by christinepi

An important read for all greyhound owners: How Not To Become a Member of the Runaway's Club

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/119614-how-not-to-become-a-member-of-the-runaways-club/#entry1848133

4894718087_9910a46faa_d.jpg

Tricia with Kyle, our senior mutt dog 
Always missing Murray MaldivesBee Wiseman, River, Hopper, Kaia, and 
Holly Oaks Holly
“You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows.“          -Bob Dylan

Guest Snazzy_Chloe

Mark low windows and sliding glass goors with post-its so she learns that there is an invisible barrier there that could break her neck if she tried to run/jump thru it.

Also you may need to teach her how to go up and down stairs as she may never have encountered them before. Gentle, positive words are appreciated, dog may want to retreat into her crate for security in the beginning. Have her sleep in the same room as you. These guys are used to a repetitive schedule where everything happens around the same time - they seem to thrive off of this - that is the first thing they learn from you; when will I be fed, watered, walked or taken outside next,Take outside 5-6 times a day in the beginning to prevent any accidents. They have had few or no toys in their previous life so that is an acquired taste that they have to learn which takes some time. Most of all have fun with your new pup.

Seems a bit overwhelming eh? All the "do this, don't do that"...take it one step at a time, you might even score and get a dog that is very easy to take care of. My Bella slept the whole car ride home, did her business at home, ate like a champ, and slept...all night long, her first night home. Ya never know, maybe she'll be like that too...an easy hound :)

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

I finally found the essay! Here it is:

This is an excerpt from a 1998 seminar given by Kathleen Gilley. It bears

remembering.

"What is your new adoptive greyhound thinking?

This breed has never been asked to do anything for itself, make any

decisions or answer any questions. It has been waited on, paw and

tail. The only prohibition in a racing Greyhound's life is not to get

into a fight----------------or eat certain stuff in the turn out pen.

Let us review a little. From weaning until you go away for schooling,

at probably a year and a half, you eat, grow and run around with your

siblings. When you go away to begin your racing career, you get your

own "apartment," in a large housing development. No one is allowed in

your bed but you, and when you are in there, no one can touch you,

without plenty of warning.

Someone hears a vehicle drive up, or the kennel door being unlocked.

The light switches are flipped on. The loud mouths in residence, and

there always are some, begin to bark or howl. You are wide awake by

the time the human opens your door to turn you out. A Greyhound has

never been touched while he was asleep.

You eat when you are fed, usually on a strict schedule. No one asks

if you are hungry or what you want to eat. You are never told not to

eat any food within your reach. No one ever touches your bowl while

you are eating. You are not to be disturbed because it is important

you clean your plate.

You are not asked if you have to "go outside." You are placed in a

turn out pen and it isn't long before you get the idea of what you

are supposed to do while you are out there. Unless you really get out

of hand, you may chase, rough house and put your feet on everyone and

everything else. The only humans you know are the "waiters" who feed

you, and the "restroom attendants" who turn you out to go to the

bathroom. Respect people? Surely you jest.

No one comes into or goes out of your kennel without your knowledge.

You are all seeing; all knowing. There are no surprises, day in and

day out. The only thing it is ever hoped you will do is win, place or

show, and that you don't have much control over. It is in your blood,

it is in your heart, it is in your fate-- or it is not.

And when it is not, then suddenly you are expected to be a civilized

person in a fur coat. But people don't realize you may not even speak

English. Some of you don't even know your names, because you didn't

need to. You were not asked or told to do anything as an individual;

you were always part of the "condo association"; the sorority or

fraternity and everyone did everything together, as a group or pack.

The only time you did anything as an individual is when you schooled

or raced, and even then, You Were Not Alone.

Suddenly, he is expected to behave himself in places he's never been

taught how to act. He is expected to take responsibility for saying

when he needs to go outside, to come when he is called, not to get on

some or all of the furniture, and to not eat food off counters and

tables. He is dropped in a world that is not his, and totally without

warning, at that.

Almost everything he does is wrong. Suddenly he is a minority. Now he

is just a pet. He is unemployed, in a place where people expect him

to know the rules and the schedule, even when there aren't any. (How

many times have you heard someone say, "He won't tell me when he has

to go out." What kind of schedule is that?) Have you heard the joke

about the dog who says, "My name is No-No Bad Dog. What's yours?" To

me that is not even funny. All the protective barriers are gone.

There is no more warning before something happens. There is no more

strength in numbers. He wakes up with a monster human face two inches

from his. (With some people's breath, this could scare Godzilla.) Why

should he not, believe that this "someone," who has crept up on him,

isn't going to eat him for lunch? (I really do have to ask you ladies

to consider how you would react if someone you barely knew crawled up

on you while you were asleep?) No, I will not ask for any male input.

Now he is left alone, for the first time in his life, in a strange

place, with no idea of what will happen or how long it will be before

someone comes to him again. If he is not crated, he may go through

walls, windows or over fences, desperately seeking something

familiar, something with which to reconnect his life. If he does get

free, he will find the familiarity, within himself: the adrenaline

high, the wind in his ears, the blood pulsing and racing though his

heart once again--until he crashes into a car.

Often, the first contact with his new family is punishment, something

he's never had before, something he doesn't understand now,

especially in the middle of the rest of the chaos. And worst of all,

what are the most common human reactions to misbehavior? We live in a

violent society, where the answer to any irritation is a slap, punch,

kick, whip, or rub your nose in it. Under these circumstances,

sometimes I think any successful adoption is a miracle.

He is, in effect, expected to have all the manners of at least a six-

year old child. But, how many of you would leave an unfamiliar six-

year old human alone and loose in your home for hours at a time and

not expect to find who knows what when you got back? Consider that if

you did, you could be brought up on charges of child abuse, neglect

and endangerment. Yet, people do this to Greyhounds and this is often

the reason for so many returns.

How many dogs have been returned because they did not know how to

tell the adopter when they had to go out? How many for jumping on

people, getting on furniture, counter surfing, separation anxiety, or

defensive actions due to being startled or hurt (aka growling or

biting)? So, let's understand: Sometimes it is the dog's "fault" he

cannot fit in. He is not equipped with the social skills of a six-

year old human. But you can help him."

Patience, while your hound adjusts. I was constantly surprised by Myka's changes in personality during the first few weeks, and then even the next 6 months. ;)

Camp Broodie with tuxedo Summer 12 and tuxedo Dio 6

Missing KC Kitty 2000-2016, Myka and part of my heart 2006-2020, and Saint YellBoy 2014-2020

Patience, while your hound adjusts. I was constantly surprised by Myka's changes in personality during the first few weeks, and then even the next 6 months. ;)

And then in the first year..... :-)

Congratulations! Have fun with her. Don't be suprised if you turn into one of 'those' dog people who think nothing of buying numerous jackets, collars and 'things' for your dog, shops obsessively for the right treats and does more research on the dog's diet than your own.

Congratulations! Have fun with her. Don't be suprised if you turn into one of 'those' dog people who think nothing of buying numerous jackets, collars and 'things' for your dog, shops obsessively for the right treats and does more research on the dog's diet than your own.

Oh dear gosh, you've just described me to a T. I honestly didn't even like dogs at one point, thought "all dogs smell, pee everywhere and bite" :omg

Greyhound Collars : www.collartown.ca

Maggie (the human servant), with Miss Bella, racing name "A Star Blackieto"

13380965654_dba9a12b29.jpg

The very most important thing to me is not to lose them. A collar with tags should be worn at all times, so you have something to grab if she starts heading out the door. And all family members and friends need to be indoctrinated about keeping doors and gates securely closed.

It doesn't appear that she has been fostered, as neither of mine were, so it's all going to be completely new to her. We were told to keep "eyes on the dog" for the first 24 hours. The most dangerous thing, I think, is glass, which she'll know nothing about. Many people, in addition to showing the sliding doors to the dogs, put decals on them as a reminder that they are solids!

Congratulations! She looks like a sweet girl.

On the topic of "losing" them....I think the best investment is a harness. I use a harness AND martingale collar to walk them. If she's relatively calm, i.e. not going to pull hard and yank the leash out of your hand, you can use a single leash with a splitter....This allows you to have the martingale for control and the harness in the event that she slips the collar. (This happened with one of mine - and I was extremely lucky. He had gotten scared of a dog that ran up to him.) I use the two with my other hound with two separate leashes - one tethered to me, the other in my hand...but he's a bit of a handful! :)

Best wishes...enjoy your hound!!!

Seems a bit overwhelming eh? All the "do this, don't do that"...take it one step at a time, you might even score and get a dog that is very easy to take care of. My Bella slept the whole car ride home, did her business at home, ate like a champ, and slept...all night long, her first night home. Ya never know, maybe she'll be like that too...an easy hound :)

Our first greyhound, EZ, was just like that! The perfect first hound.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Oh dear gosh, you've just described me to a T. I honestly didn't even like dogs at one point, thought "all dogs smell, pee everywhere and bite" :omg

Me too. My husband teases me about it, but I remind him that he's the one who insisted no dogs in the house, on the furniture or in bed with us. And then sleeps in on the weekends with bo0th of them roaching beside him. And is the one who tucks them in at night to make sure they don't get cold.