Osteo Thread V

Guest snakes

For us cold compresses and leaving a tight (not too tight) sock/bandage (i used a cut up part of girls tights) on it helped. It really depends why there is swelling, our situation was vasculitis.

• Replies 948
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I alternated warm and cool with gentle massage when Pinky had swelling due to fluid buildup.

For other swelling I've also wrapped with Ace bandage (not too tightly of course). Be sure to include the toes or they will swell of course.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Kyle, I need to get some new Pinky pics...we're going to go see my parents this weekend so I'll try to get some pics of her in their big yard :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

It has been a bumpy two days with Macho. We are trying to up his meds, but part of me is sad that we may be rapidly approaching time to say goodbye.

He isnt really eating. He will take a few bites then head butt the food and try to cover it with his blankie... Sometimes he will then go ahead an eat, sometimes only if we hand feed him.,. And this AM nothing worked to get more than a couple bites.

Attitude wise he is himself but thats not a factor for me (it does seem a small factor for my partner to whom macho seems to be her other half)

He did ok outside, and my partner doesn't think we are there yet. I, however, feel we are so close. Part of me wants to just make that call, but I am determined to see if we will pull through with up'd pain meds. Part of me also feels that doing that is just prolonging it. It doesnt help that we have people telling is what they think we should do - thereby making me second guess what kind of mom I an to him.

Sigh, trying to do right by him. This so stinks!!!

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)
Jimmy (Blu Too James 06/26/2014, Gotcha day 09/12/2015)
, a shepard mix named Tista, some cats, and some reptiles.

It has been a bumpy two days with Macho. We are trying to up his meds, but part of me is sad that we may be rapidly approaching time to say goodbye.

He isnt really eating. He will take a few bites then head butt the food and try to cover it with his blankie... Sometimes he will then go ahead an eat, sometimes only if we hand feed him.,. And this AM nothing worked to get more than a couple bites.

Attitude wise he is himself but thats not a factor for me (it does seem a small factor for my partner to whom macho seems to be her other half)

He did ok outside, and my partner doesn't think we are there yet. I, however, feel we are so close. Part of me wants to just make that call, but I am determined to see if we will pull through with up'd pain meds. Part of me also feels that doing that is just prolonging it. It doesnt help that we have people telling is what they think we should do - thereby making me second guess what kind of mom I an to him.

Sigh, trying to do right by him. This so stinks!!!

oh no :( :( :( I am so sad to read this :( :(

my heart is going out to you, your partner, and to Macho :( :( :( I will pray the adjustment helps!!! :hope :hope :hope

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

I'm sorry you're having to second guess yourself about your decisions for Macho.

Be sure you're giving him Pepcid 30 to 40 minutes before his meals and other meds. If his major meds are upsetting his stomach, that may be why he doesn't want to eat. Sometimes, scary symptoms are the things that can be tweaked most easily.

And what you can do--for you, for your partner, and for Macho--is go ahead and think through what you'll need to do when it is time. How do you cope if it's a weekend and your vet is closed? Is there an ER you can get him to? And will that ride be too much for him and for you and your partner? (If you need to, Google "in-home euthanasia" and add your zip code. I had friends who had to call around early on a Sunday morning.) Get stuff straight in your head so that when it's time you can pay attention to Macho and not have to be figuring out what you need to do next.

Some vets will offer to make a permanent impression of Macho's footprint for you as a keepsake. If that's really important to you, though, you might want to do it yourselves now. (Do it for all your dogs--and the cats. Then it's a little less directed at Macho.) There are little kits in pet stores. If you're going to have Macho cremated and his ashes returned to you, decide if there's something like a favorite toy or blanket you want to send with him. You can discuss all this with your partner now, if you want, or just have the ideas in your head so that you're ready to do whatever you need to then. I lost my first girl unexpectedly, and was scrambling around making decisions. Her collar and tags got lost. When I thought to ask about them, it was too late for anyone to figure out what had happened to them. When I lost my second girl, I could see it coming a few days in advance, and I had worked out a few things in my head.

I know it's rotten to have to be thinking about things like this. Just know that it'll be worse if you're scrambling around frantically at the last minute and you don't think of something then that's going to be important to you guys later. And, oddly enough, it does help at the end, when you're having to decide whether it's time for Macho, to have thought yourself through each step. To know you don't need to rush to make a major decision before the vet's office closes because you'll know how to reach a vet after hours if you need one; to know that if you do need a vet in a hurry, you already know who to call.

Take care of yourselves---and of your boy. Lots of pictures, and some favorite treats.

We'll be thinking of you all.

Edited by KF_in_Georgia

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Thanks!

We already have selected an in-home euthanasia vet. One of our friends has used her and loves her and says she makes the process so easy and calm. We know we want him to leave us in familir surroundings and also so our other dog and cat can say bye also. I already sent her our info so all we have to do now is just call. She is 24/7 because she knows you can't always plan for the time.

I didnt think about the toy! Not sure what I want to send him with - a squeaky? A ball? Both?

We are taking tons of photos and i think i will definitetely do the footprint. My partner is deciding on a memorial tattoo for our artist to do for her- but the footprint is a must!!!

Thank you for the advice. It is no fun but you are right. It helps to have as much planned as possible so less to worry about.

Hoping we pull through and have a bit more time, but who knows.

Mom to Macho (JS XtremeMachine 1/12/2007 -8/17/2012 ... Gotcha day 9/2/2011. I miss you BigMan)
Moonbeam (Ninos Full Moon 11/1/2009, Gotcha day 9/2/2012), Hattie (Kiowa Hats Off 4/14/2011, Gotcha day 10/13/2012), Keiva (JS Igotyourbooty 1/12/2007, Gotcha Day 1/8/2014)

Don't forget the pepcid!

Plus, you can ask you vet for a rx for Cerenia, which is also for nausea. It can help let them eat a bit more.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Oh! Yeah! Pepcid! I completely meant to say thank you about that and forgot :( i am sorry! Thank you all for the support and advice.

Guest cashie

Macho:( Its such a hard time. I can tell you that my decision was made simply by gut instinct. I looked at him and just knew. It's great that you have made plans ahead of time, it will definitely be easier for you. With that said, I hope he pulls through and has a better day tomorrow!:)

MachosMom, I am sorry you are feeling time is short. I agree with you to see how the up in pain meds does for him as this can take a few days. Then it's a matter of you and your partner deciding whether Machos quality of life is good or not. Nobody, and I mean nobody, should influence you or tell you what it is. You know your pup best and you will do what is necessary out of love for him. I do hope you have more time as every moment with these pups is so precious. Give him a hug from me.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

just checking in on Macho :( :( :grouphug

Kim and Bruce - with Rick (Rick Roufus 6/30/16) and missing my sweet greyhound Angels Rainey (LG's Rainey 10/4/2000 - 3/8/2011), Anubis (RJ's Saint Nick 12/25/2001 - 9/12/12) and Zeke (Hey Who Whiz It 4/6/2009 - 7/20/2020) and Larry (PTL Laroach 2/24/2007 - 8/2/2020) -- and Chester (Lab) (8/31/1990 - 5/3/2005), Captain (Schipperke) (10/12/1992 - 6/13/2005) and Remy (GSP) (?/?/1998 - 1/6/2005) at the bridge
"Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut." -- Ernest Hemmingway

Hi everyone! Its been a bumpy weekend. FINALLY seeing some improvement. Had to jog to keep up with him on the evening walk, and he chewed on a bone! Leg is still swollen but that is slowly going down. (well as much as it can really).

I hesitate to celebrate because I am afraid the next dip is around the corner, but one thing at a time, so I will celebrate the smile he gives me and trying to keep up with him for once!

Tomorrow night he has his best greyhound buds coming to see him! That will help his spirits :)

He has also decided that his meals must first be fed via hand and after a few bites eating from his special plate is okay. Whatever works is fine with me!!

Thank you all for your support. We are finishing plans for when the dreaded day comes but are hopeful that we have many more days of hugging him still to come. Cherishing each moment, even when the back of my mind is scared that the next will be goodbye. Love him so much!

(((hugs))) all around to all of you!

Great to hear Macho is feeling better!!!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

:wub: Macho! :wub:

I fed Dude his meals with from a spoon for months. Whatever works!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I'm starting to think I should put Sam's dinner in the trash can and let him fish it out. I think he'd enjoy it so much more if he thought he wasn't supposed to have it.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

glad to hear he's having good days!!! :yay :yay

I'm starting to think I should put Sam's dinner in the trash can and let him fish it out. I think he'd enjoy it so much more if he thought he wasn't supposed to have it.

I totally laughed out loud reading this!!! I think if we were in the pre cancer Macho days he would so go for this idea too!

So I haven't been posting much here, because Gia's journey through Osteo has been (thankfully!) uneventful. She's dealt with everything like a champ! However, I did notice the other day that on her remaining front foot, she's got a MONSTER corn, I'm assuming from shifting all her weight over to that foot. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but I'm a bit torn about what to do with it. If we leave it, it's just going to keep getting bigger (it's seriously freakishly large already, hanging off the side of her toe), but if we remove it, won't she be totally out of commission till it heals? I've got a vet visit on Monday, but I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.

So I haven't been posting much here, because Gia's journey through Osteo has been (thankfully!) uneventful. She's dealt with everything like a champ! However, I did notice the other day that on her remaining front foot, she's got a MONSTER corn, I'm assuming from shifting all her weight over to that foot. It doesn't seem to be bothering her, but I'm a bit torn about what to do with it. If we leave it, it's just going to keep getting bigger (it's seriously freakishly large already, hanging off the side of her toe), but if we remove it, won't she be totally out of commission till it heals? I've got a vet visit on Monday, but I was just wondering if anyone else has dealt with this.

Colleen -- I didn't realize you were the same Giadog from GPA with Gia! :(

can you post a picture of the corn? is it red and raspberry looking? I'm no corn expert by a long shot but I thought they mainly were on the very bottom of the pads? I was wondering if it was a histiocytoma, which Nube had a bought with last fall. It looked sort of like this, off the side of his back left foot:

Histiocytoma-in-dog2.jpg

If it's truly a corn, it shouldn't need time to heal once removed. The corn is sort of almost separated already, which is why hulling is basically just popping it out. I am wondering by your description though if it's really a corn too. Can you post a photo? Is your vet experienced in hulling?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

None of the photo hosting sites are cooperating with me right now. Hrmph. It doesn't look red or inflamed at all, it basically just looks like an overgrowth of paw pad (same color, texture, etc.), hanging off the side of one pad. I didn't realize that about corns, Neylasmom, that's good news (if it does end up being a corn)! Hopefully the vet will be able to figure it out on Monday.