Sunscreen

Sunscreen  

35 members have voted

1. 1. do you use sunscreen on your grey?

If it's that sunny / hot, I keep the hounds out of the sun as much as possible. I've not had a circumstance thus far that necessitated any additional protection.

I have 3 dogs with totally bare bums and wouldn't be opposed to sunscreen if I saw an issue. We just got Omie and he has a hairless scar on his back which would be much more affected by the sun than a rear end so we'll be watching it to see if it does anything funky.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

My thinking is that if they spent most of their pre racing career outside 24/7 there probably isn't anything in pet life that would require the need for sunscreen...except maybe a white dog that being dragged around all day at a GH event with little or no shade.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Greytluv

I keep mine out of the sun as much as possible, but my IG has a no fur on her nose and it's really pink so I put zink on it every morning.

I did use sunscreen wit Dude. He had NO hair at all on his neck-chest-tummy-butt, and tended to get very red in the sun. He would lay out in the full sun all day if I let him. We got spray on baby suntan lotion and it worked pretty good for him. All my other dogs hve more hair AND more sense!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

I keep mine out of the sun as much as possible, but if we do go out in the sun I do use sunscreen, mainly on the skin above their noses and on any bald bits. Mine are both white and both have had pre-cancerous skin growths removed, so it's especially important to protect them from the sun.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

I keep mine out of the sun as much as possible, but if we do go out in the sun I do use sunscreen, mainly on the skin above their noses and on any bald bits. Mine are both white and both have had pre-cancerous skin growths removed, so it's especially important to protect them from the sun.

I was just going to mention.. White dogs in the sun a lot are more prone to cutaneous hemangiosarcoma.

I was just going to mention.. White dogs in the sun a lot are more prone to cutaneous hemangiosarcoma.

Yes, mine have both had cutaneous hemangioma, which can progress to cutaneous hemangiosarcoma if left. The path report also said they would be more prone to squamous cell carcinoma.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

My guys are likely to have heat/stress issues long before they've been outside long enough for me to worry about sun exposure. Extended stays outside are always in the shade until the heat drives us back into the air conditioning.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest poofmagk

What does sunburn look like on a greyhound? I've noticed their bellies becoming darker and spots becoming more visible, is that sun related? Just curious.

Guest tinams8

I wondered about this with my vizsla who has a skin graft of belly skin onto the outside of her upper leg, so it doesn't have much hair. the vet said sunscreen was a good idea, but I would have to babysit her and constantly remind her not to lick it off. So I scrapped that idea and I try to put her inside if she is insisting on lying in the sun. Lucy hates the heat so I haven't worried about her too much. Top of the nose seems like a good idea, though. How do you keep them from licking it off?

I wondered about this with my vizsla who has a skin graft of belly skin onto the outside of her upper leg, so it doesn't have much hair. the vet said sunscreen was a good idea, but I would have to babysit her and constantly remind her not to lick it off. So I scrapped that idea and I try to put her inside if she is insisting on lying in the sun. Lucy hates the heat so I haven't worried about her too much. Top of the nose seems like a good idea, though. How do you keep them from licking it off?

I put the suncream most of the way along the top of the muzzle where the fur is thin and rub it in well. They do make a few half-hearted attempt to lick some of it off but I don't think it tastes very nice and most of it stays on. I use an organic natural sunscreen without the toxic chemicals that most sunscreens contain. I only put sunscreen on mine if they're going out for a walk so they don't really get the opportunity to lick it off and once we're on our walk they forget about it. As soon as we get home (before I take their leads off) I wash it off. Mine don't hang out in the garden unsupervised so I don't have that issue - would be difficult to stop them licking it off in that scenario. Mostly we avoid the sun so I only have to do this occasionally - having to do it several times a day for two dogs would be a bit of a pain!

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We also have a Greyhound with hemangiosarcoma. (As mentioned, aggressive blood cancer caused by direct sun.) Surgeon couldn't get clear margins around subcutaneous mass, so this cancer continues to travel through blood vessels damaging the body.

Light colored dogs are considered at greatest risk, but so many Greys have thin fur, bare thighs, or bare abdomen that sunscreen could help those hounds too.

I believe every year that Greyhounds are protected from direct sun improve their chances of avoiding sun related cancers. Since greyhounds are temperature sensitive anyway, it often works well to let them have outside time in early morning or later evening anyway. (Sun exposure from about 10:00 AM to 5:00 PM is most damaging.)

"Epi-Pet Sunscreen" is the only "FDA approved" sunscreen for dogs.

30+ SPF, includes coat conditioner.

Dries quickly (not greasy).

Dispenser distributes from all angles (including upside down for belly/groin).

Water resistant. (Tested effective for 80 minutes in water.)

Reapply every 2 (to 4?) hours.

Per manufacturer: Spray sunscreen directly on dog including belly/groin. Do not spray face directly. To treat face/muzzle, spray into human's hand first, then rub sunscreen on muzzle, nose, and ears.

Non-toxic to dog if dog licks product.

http://www.epi-pet.com/sunscreen.aspx

Also sold at Amazon, etc.

(Not for use on cats.)

I use sun screen on my dogs when i know we will be outside all day --- and that is in the fall/winter/spring months... Living in Arizona, we don't do much outside in the summer! B)

I typically will use a baby sunscreen, sfp 15-25 ,, anything higher than that seems crazy and sticky and feels yucky. i put it on their chest, stomach, legs, nose. My angel Peppy was a white boy and almost bald ., so he always got completely covered.

AND I alway give them a Bath after a day in the sun with sun screen on them. just makes me feel better so they must feel better too, right. :P

lorinda, mom to the ever revolving door of Foster greyhounds

Always in my heart: Teala (LC Sweet Dream) , Pepton, Darbee-Do (Hey Barb) , Rascal (Abitta Rascal), Power (Beyond the Power), and the miracle boy LAZER (2/21/14), Spirit (Bitter Almonds) 8/14

Guest FastDogsOwnMe

Um... only on the... balls!

Zoom (show Whippet, not neutered) has pink testicles, and yes, they burn at the beach :omg

I always look around first to make sure no one is watching before I apply it :hehe

Generally no. It would be different if they were lying outside in the sun all day, but usually they're inside.

Tiny did routinely bake himself in the dog run and developed a melanoma on his belly, which came as a surprise because I (duh!) didn't know that dogs got skin cancer from sun exposure like people do.

Riley is mostly white with pink skin, so if we were going to be out all day in intense sun I would apply some sunscreen to his snout and bald spots.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg