Ensure

Guest greybookends

Guest greybookends

I see where many use Ensure to help with an ailing hound who is not eating or is recovering.

First off no one here is sick or ailing. I do however have a a 14 yo and one who will be 13 in a couple of months. Would it be beneficial to give them some Ensure just to give their aging systems a little boost? Certainly Bill can afford to gain a pound or two or three but Daytona is a good weight and since she came to me with two toes missing on one of her back feet, she does walk with a limp and can on occasion be a little wobbly, so I do not need her to put on any extra weight.

I am just wondering if splitting a can between them two or three times a week would be helpful to them. I'm kinda being selfish here. I'd like to keep them happy and healthy for a very long time. :)

I have given my senior citizens houndies regular ensure before just because. Also I read somewhere there is a variety that contains something harmful to dogsbut the regular kind is good. I'm sure somebody here knows all about it. I just remember to only use the regular variety.

Edited by racindog

I think one type contains xylitol(sp?), which can be toxic to dogs.

Perhaps that's the ones labelled for diabetics?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

If your dogs are doing well without it then, I would continue with what you are doing.

Sometimes starting to use things like 'ensure" give you a false confidence that they are "getting all they need" and with that, you don't worry as much when they don't eat. To use once or twice to supplement if they are not eating that day - that's OK but, not to start as a regular filler. Just as a note, would you rather have them filling up on Ensure or on their regular food .... if they have the ensure they may not be hungry enough to eat the regular food.

I've always heard mashed potatoes work well too. :dunno

Good luck. Trying to get weight on an older dog is frustrating. :grouphug

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Ensure is mostly sugar. The first three ingredients listed by volume are: WATER, CORN MALTODEXTRIN, SUGAR (SUCROSE), CORN SYRUP. With 3 of the first 4 ingredients being a sugar that's just too much sugar IMHO. My senior galgo is not eating well and is underweight right now, so I'm struggling with finding something he'll eat that will give him some extra calories but I wouldn't consider adding sugar to do it. I hadn't thought about it, but the mashed potatoes sounds like a better option to me. He likes potatoes, so I think I'll try it. Good luck. It it so hard when they won't eat.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

How about giving tripe?

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

I have only used that when nothing else is working. It has been something that is easy for a dog to lap up and get some nutrients. I don't think I would use it as long as your dogs are eating.

For your purpoases I would look at some supplements maybe...I uses Fresh Factors from Springtime for my seniors and the Joint Support also. I think it makes a difference in mobility.

gallery_4518_2903_10272.jpg
Donna and...Lucy and Chubb
Rascal H 10/1/91-5/22/04 My best friend and Bounty Boon 1/23/99-6/25/07 My boy with the biggest heart
Cody 7/28/99-8/1/13 My boy that always made me laugh and Dylan 5/12/04-12/29/2017 The sweetest boy ever

Miss Mollie 1/1/99-1/30/15 and Pixie :heart:heart-10/10/2017 Lincoln :heart-2/14/2021

Guest greybookends

I was just thinking maybe as a supplement but if it's just mostly sugar I do not think it will be any extra benefit.

Afraid I have to respectfully disagree that Ensure is mostly sugar. We give Spencer (age 11-1/2, IBD, LSS) 1/3 to 1/2 bottle of regular vanilla Ensure per day just to add a few more calories. He can't process regular food as well as healthy greys, and I think as they get on toward 14 they can use more easily-digested calories even if they're eating regular food okay. Just my thinking. The other varieties of Ensure are too rich for Spencer or older dogs IMHO -- too much protein for their kidneys, too many fancy additives.

This formula has 40g of carbs, of which 23g are sugars, 9g of protein, and 6g of fat (only 1g of which is saturated). It also has omega-3's and lots of vitamins/minerals. So half a bottle is half of what I just listed, which is not a lot, but is a boost. And at age 14 I wouldn't worry if your pup became addicted! :lol We give in the a.m. if he doesn't want his regular breakfast, which he usually goes ahead and eats a short while later. If not, well, at least he got 125 calories to take out on his morning walk. And sometimes he gets another half-bottle at bedtime or as a snack during the day if he asks. We've at least gotten Spencer back up to a pound or two over his racing weight, so we're very pleased.

If you do decide to try Ensure, start slow, with maybe 1/3 bottle per day. It does tend to loosen the bowels a little bit at first, but that wears off as they get used to it and isn't any sort of problem at all if you start slow. Best luck, and scritches to your greyt old gal! ETA: And your fine boy!

Edited by greyhead
Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

Lori, I keep Ensure here to give as needed if someone goes off their feed, it can sometimes be the boost they need to get interested again in their regular meal, but I don't give it all the time. To add lbs to a senior, I learned that canned puppy food is terrific, and has helped us here.

13 and 14!!!

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.