Hair Loss Plus Huge Appetite

Hello,

Our new girl Ava has extremely bald thighs. She is also missing quite a bit of hair on her neck (not just where a collar would sit), but more from her chin on down the front of her chest. She has thinning hair at her temples (base of her ears) and I see numerous spots on her body where the hair is very thin.

She turned 3 on January 1st. I believe she raced until October or November 2011, until she had a few seizures in the kennel. I think she was placed into a foster home in December 2011 and we’ve had her since February 25, 2012, no seizures in either home.

She also has a RAVENOUS appetite, mostly food, but we’ve caught her with a screw and nail with a plastic cap (furniture caster). She is a gatherer (taking various things to the back of her crate – shoes, clothes, etc), but she doesn’t chew on these.

She is very tall and lanky and surfs kitchen counters with ease – she’s had her mouth eating a bowl of cereal in the 2 seconds it took to put the milk away. She doesn’t knock the bowls off the counter, she eats out of them standing on her back legs (leaning with her front paws of course :0). Each night I fill 3 bowls of kibble for the dogs’ breakfast…she’s managed to eat the top bowl a couple times without hardly a sound. I started moving the bowls farther back in the corner of the counter – at first she whined because she couldn’t reach them, but she figured that out last night. Now they go into the cupboard overnight.

Her daily food that WE :0 give her is 1.25 – 1.50 cups of dry kibble around 6:45am, 2 cups of kibble around 4:30pm and then a few treats before bedtime.

Could the hair loss and huge appetite be a symptom of any medical issues, thyroid maybe or am I over-reacting? We’re getting her chipped next week and will discuss her hair loss and appetite with her vet. I was just curious if others think these were common or does is sound like something else could be going on?

Thanks!

Kim & Ava

Kim, (Herman), Pixie (NK Mary Ann), Kitten, Sammie, Darcy and Scout

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

Some of these guys run a tad shy with hair. I know many many healthy hounds with a hair coat you described. Also she may be blowing her track coat at this time.

As far as the appetite- perhaps you are not feeding enough- is her weight stable? There are conditions that can promote a incredible appetite- diabetes, intestinal parasites, epi....even some medications (pheno).

If her weight is stable you might try increasing her caloric intake and see if that helps satisfies her appetite.

Of course a full exam and blood work should be performed.

No, I don't think you're over-reacting, I'd ask for a FULL set of Thyroid tests and also an X-Ray/MRI looking at the area of the brain around the Pituitary gland. If the dog has steroids too long as well that will max the appetite.

Hope nothing abnormal shows up and your dog is soon back to normal.

Add: Check for Cushings too

Edited by JohnF

Her counter surfing is very normal for a new hound and will continue until you make her stop. Also, prevention (by keeping your counters clear of all edibles) will also help decrease the activity. Greyhounds can be VERY opportunistic and will generally eat anything they can reach. Lining your counter with penny cans or a scat mat will creat a deterrent that you don't have to be around for.

Her hair coverage also sounds normal. It may grow back or it may not. There *could* be a medical issue, but more likely it's just the way she is. You can try giving her melatonin, as several people have had success having hair grow back.

Make sure you have her thyroid checked, though. Low thyroid can cause hair loss (but it's not a reason to mdicate in the abcense of diagnostic evidence). High thyroid can cause increased appetite and an inability to hold weight. I don't think either is your dog's problem, but it's something to check out.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Could be a low thyroid, could have other issues but, it sounds like you have only had her for about 2 months or so and she is probably still settling in and nervous and worried that someone will remember to feed her.

I would hold off on any tests for the balding until you get a better overall picture of her and she settles down a bit. Do you know if they were treating the seizures with any medicines?

Puffy belly? Peeing a lot, &/or accidents in her sleep? These are signs of Cushings.

If everything checks out normal with thyroid & adrenal system, consider that the pup may not be absorbing the calories in the food. Daisy had that issue with one food that contained an ingredient she was allergic to.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

The lack of hair sounds totally normal to me. She may grow some more after a while, or she may not.

I have found over the course of a lifetime of dogs that most dogs will act like they're starving all the time! It's just part of their nature.

Have you had her to the vet for a checkup or "well dog" visit?

I think all new dogs should have a urinalysis, fecal exam, and routine blood work just as a baseline if nothing else.

Is her coat smooth and relatively soft? We've had two dogs with thyroid problems, and both of them had very coarse fur when their thyroids went bad.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

She sounds totally normal for a young dog recently off the track and in spring. She probably recently blew her track coat, add spring to that, add active young dog, you often get some baldness. I don't think Joseph had a scrap of hair on his butt and thighs for @ 2 years after he came home.

I wouldn't be able to leave food out unattended on the counter -- not with any dog I've owned, greyhound or other. It would be g.o.n.e. the minute I left the room if not sooner.

I wouldn't bother with thyroid testing -- she doesn't have symptoms of either hypo- or hyper- (the latter is quite rare in dogs, unless they're getting excess thyroid medication).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest sirsmom

If she's drinking a LOT of water as well I would have her tested for diabetes or cushings (pretty young for that though)

Thank you all!

We had a dog with Cushings and hope it's not that! I don't think it is though - no puffy belly, she drinks normal, she doesn't go out sometimes when the other dogs do and she seems to be able to hold her pee longer (maybe from being at the track??) and has no accidents at all. I think she may have put on a couple of pounds since we got her, you can see her ribs, she looks good!

As far as I know she was on NO medication for the seizures at the kennel, no steroids at all - and still isn't. I was told that the seizures may have been from being nervous in a kennel setting or possibly from some sort of spray from outside (weed killer/bug/??). She hasn't had any seizures since leaving the track/kennel and into a foster home in December 2011.

Blowing her track coat? That's sounds like a good answer! :)

We're taking Ava along when we take Sam for her shots next Wednesday. Ava will get a microchip and I guess we'll get the well exam blood work done so they have a record.

She has really settled in well, doesn't seem to have a shy/scared bone in her body. She roached within a few hours of coming home. She's very smart, sweet and is a cuddler. She plays well (a little rough outside though) with our other two girls. She's gentle with our cat.

I think she may have been muzzled a lot in her past and we've not used it all since her first week. I'm stressing to everyone to not leave ANYTHING laying around!

Oh and yes, her coat is very soft! She is shedding, you can pet her and the fine hair just comes out. The bald thighs don't bother me, I was just concerned when I noticed her neck, chest and at her temples and was hoping it wasn't anything medical.

Thank you everyone for all the information and suggestions! I think I'm just being a worried mom. :blush

Kim & Ava

Callie (Callie Walker), Ava (Lass Dance), July, Peanut, Kodi, Bailey, Kony, PJ, Scampie, Carlo & Casey waiting for us at the bridge

ETA--woops thought the pic above was from the OP. Same comment about the dog, however.

STUNNING dog!!! The light colored fur is a track coat that will blow out, leaving you with a sleek, beautiful, shiny black dog.

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

OMG.... sorry... I didn't mean to make it look like it was the OP's dog, just that it's what happens with major shedding.

That's Peggy a few months after we got her at age 18months; she's now rising 5 and becoming a 'Grey-er-hound'. She has a photo gallery if you follow my profile.

(JohnF, your pictures are beautiful!)

My Conor is bald from under his chin to his butt. I've had him almost 4 years & he hasn't grown a hair. tongue.gifI wouldn't worry about her coat. Counter surfing is a bad habit, but at least she's not eating the furniture (like my Keeva Bad Dog mad.gif).

Did you get Ava from Cora? Her story sounds familiar......

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Hi, hope it is just blowing the track coat

It looks pretty traumatic when it happens!

115132012.jpg

Ava's hair is smooth, she's just bald in spots. It's not that noticeable (she's red fawn and it kinda blends in), but when you pet her you feel baby soft skin. She is shedding, but it isn't coming out in clumps, just when you pet her all this fine hair goes everywhere.

Hi, hope it is just blowing the track coat

It looks pretty traumatic when it happens!

115132012.jpg

Sorry for the hijack -- but I can't help saying what a beautiful face!!

I agree, gorgeous dog and what an awesome picture with the scenery in the background!

ETA--woops thought the pic above was from the OP. Same comment about the dog, however.

STUNNING dog!!! The light colored fur is a track coat that will blow out, leaving you with a sleek, beautiful, shiny black dog.

That's interesting about the light colored - so Peggy is normally solid black? I was thinking a dark brindle. :blush

(JohnF, your pictures are beautiful!)

My Conor is bald from under his chin to his butt. I've had him almost 4 years & he hasn't grown a hair. tongue.gifI wouldn't worry about her coat. Counter surfing is a bad habit, but at least she's not eating the furniture (like my Keeva Bad Dog mad.gif).

I'm really not worried about her coat - as long as it's not a medical issue. Regarding the counter surfing, she's just inquisitive I guess... I came home this evening, threw my big purse on the floor and ran to the bathroom :blush and when I came out, Ava had her entire head down in my purse. I do have some packets of dry food that I bring home from work (because there's mice there!). She did get into them a week ago. She had all the packets in her crate, with some buried under her quilt (I guess for a midnight snack). She didn't eat them, just poked holes in all the packets with her teefers :chow She is training me to be a neat freak! :lol

Did you get Ava from Cora? Her story sounds familiar......

Why yes we did! After we lost Callie in December, getting another dog was the last thing on my mind. I think right before Christmas Cora sent me an email asking how we were doing and casually mentions she knows we aren't ready for another dog, but she's fostering a little girl now and if we were interested in her, she'd spoil her for us. As I'm reading I'm thinking no, we're not ready and then BOOM, there was Ava's picture at the bottom (called Dance at the time). <_< One look at that sweet little face and how could I say no. (Plus I didn't want her to NOT be spoiled!) Cora kept us updated, sending cute little stories about her and a few pictures. She even took Ava to her vet to make sure she was cat safe (which would of been the only reason we wouldn't take her). That Cora is such a sweetheart and obviously very wise. :kiss2

That Cora is such a sweetheart and obviously very wise. :kiss2

She's amazing & cares so much for these guys. I bet she did a happy dance herself when she realized she found a great home for Ava. smile.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

If you're getting her chipped and can afford it, get a blood panel done (inc thyroid panel). It's good to have a baseline. Make sure your vet know what values are normal for a grey. And get her stool cultured. Kevin was ravenous when we got him. SInce he was treated for hooks he's relaxed a lot about food. Good luck!

finalsiggy.jpg

Just a word of warning: I've learned that purses have to get tossed in the floor of the coat closet, then close the door.

The scary thing is that purses often have people meds. I know of a dog that got into mom's ibuprofen that way and got a fatal dose.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)