Dr. Radcliffe's Anesthesia Process

I attended Dr. Radcliffe's seminar at Sandy Paws last year and wanted to find out the name of the anesthesia he had mentioned using (he felt it would be less common because of cost, but I wanted to see if my vet has it or could get it if we need to do a dental on Zuri). Just thought I'd share what he sent back in case others are interested in using it to start discussions with their own vets. So here you go:

Greyhound anesthesia is a process;

1. Pre-anesthetic blood work.

2. 8 hour fast- (not 12)

3. IV Fluids 2.5% Dextrose/ .45 NACL or Normosol-R

4. Temperature taken pre-op, post-op, and every 30 minutes until recovered,

then every 12 hours until discharge.

5. Propofol is my anesthetic of choice for short procedures that are not

singularly painful.

6. Acepromazine and Butorphanol with Ketamine and Valium to induce anesthesia.

7. We use Sevoflurane as our gas anesthetic.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I attended Dr. Radcliffe's seminar at Sandy Paws last year and wanted to find out the name of the anesthesia he had mentioned using (he felt it would be less common because of cost, but I wanted to see if my vet has it or could get it if we need to do a dental on Zuri). Just thought I'd share what he sent back in case others are interested in using it to start discussions with their own vets. So here you go:

Greyhound anesthesia is a process;

1. Pre-anesthetic blood work.

2. 8 hour fast- (not 12)

3. IV Fluids 2.5% Dextrose/ .45 NACL or Normosol-R

4. Temperature taken pre-op, post-op, and every 30 minutes until recovered,

then every 12 hours until discharge.

5. Propofol is my anesthetic of choice for short procedures that are not

singularly painful.

6. Acepromazine and Butorphanol with Ketamine and Valium to induce anesthesia.

7. We use Sevoflurane as our gas anesthetic.

Does he say why the 8 hour fast and dextrose? I didn't know greys had issues with hypoglycemia (supposing that's the reason).... Just curious as I don't remember that from when I was at OSU, but I was more in on the surgeries than the anesthesia while I was there. Thanks!

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Nope, I cut and pasted his entire email, sorry.

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

As far as the fluids- thinks he was referring to lactated ringers solution (small amount of dextrose LRS)

I don't think LRS has dextrose in it unless you specifically add it in. I'm sort of confused by the way it's written; looks like the suggestion is to add dextrose to either 0.45 NaCl or Normosol-R. Also with the recommendation for only an 8 hour fast. Interesting. I'll definitely have to keep those in mind.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest Lucysmom

Dr.Radcliffe did surgery on our Beauty. He (I think)is the best Vet I have ever talked with. He spent about an hour with us going over everything. Answered all our many questions. Gave me a stack of greyhound books to take with me to keep me busy ;) Called the minute he was done. Let us come to see her. Told me not to worry, his kids are NEVER left alone. Always a crew there. And if I couldn't sleep, to come to the back door and knock and the caretakers would let me in to sit with her..The Dr. is phenominal!! I wish there was more Vets like him out there. When we went to pick Beauty up the next morning, they said Who?? Oh she already went home?? :eek One of the vet techs had fallin' in love with her lol.. And after another hour or so and all her goodies, she was finally released..He is an amazing man :)

Regarding the fasting, my vet says 8 hours only and a few sips of water early in the morning are OK. Procedures usually don't start until 9am.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I love this vet, I saw him in 2010 at Beach Bound Hounds. I could listen to him talk for hours. He is a wonderful vet. I love how he calls us parents to our hounds.

I saw him there too and I agree completely. He was great to listen to and had lots of wonderful stuff to share.

As far as the fluids- thinks he was referring to lactated ringers solution (small amount of dextrose LRS)

I don't think LRS has dextrose in it unless you specifically add it in. I'm sort of confused by the way it's written; looks like the suggestion is to add dextrose to either 0.45 NaCl or Normosol-R. Also with the recommendation for only an 8 hour fast. Interesting. I'll definitely have to keep those in mind.

Humm- you are correct-- looked under the wrong chart in Plumb ( looked at dextrose/electrolyte combo)-- still I do find it confusing the way it was written.

Edited by tbhounds

Another huge Dr. Radcliffe fan here. When I was getting nowhere (at great expense) here with my elderly whippet, I took him to Dr. R, who proposed a completely uninvasive treatment plan that returned Rickie to mobility. He just "got" all my concerns without my needing to voice them. I love him. At nearly 14, thanks to Dr, R., Rickie is more active than he has been for a couple of years. I can't say enough good about him.

We really prefer Propofol as an induction agent. Have had some rocky experiences with the others mentioned. In addition to temperature, BP and respiration are monitored here as well (I'm sure Dr. R does those things, just not in the list :) ).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

We tried to get him for Mountain Hounds but he was already booked for another sight hound event. He does a great seminar.

Someone asked where he is located. I don't have my notes but I think it is Wheeling WV.

Mom to Bella, Trinity, Cricket, DB, Dabber and Sidewinder
As well as Gizmo, Miles, Pumba, Leo, Toby, Sugar, Smokey, Molly, Jasmine, Axel, Billy, Maggie-Mae, Duncan, Sam (MH King 2019), Bambi, Stella, Bay and "Gerty the cat" at the Bridge

Yes, as someone already mentioned, he's in Wheeling. His practice is called Town & Country if anyone is interested in pursuing seeing him. I've taken my dogs to him for specific injuries I felt he would be better equipped to help with - it's about a 4 - 4 1/2 drive, but my family is in Pgh so I can work it into a trip to see them. I have honestly considered taking Z to him for the dental, but I need to see how the conversation with my vet goes before I make a decision.

He sees/treats the dogs who race at Wheeling, hence his level of greyhound specific knowledge.

While I respect Dr. Radcliffe and use an anesthetic protocol somewhat similar to his, there is no one right, or best, way to do anesthesia. With the newer drug options, there are a number of safe options for greyhounds, and the safest protocol is often the one your vet is most familiar with.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Another Dr. Jim fan here. He's worth the trip, but ask the staff to give you the GPS coordinates (Lat/Long) because your GPS will take you to the wrong place otherwise. Or, don't lose the directions when you write down what they tell you. rolleyes.gifblush.gif

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04