Yogurt-How Much/how Often?

Guest Celestrina

Guest Roadtripper

As already mentioned- make sure it's whole milk yoghurt.

Why? I sometimes give my dogs some of mine--non-fat Greek yogurt. Is this bad? They love it--think its ice cream.

Thanks.

Guest JarBear

Ours get 1/4 cup twice a day at meal time. That's a lot of yogurt considering the fact that there are six doggies at our house. I get it at Costco in 64 oz tubs.

Why? I sometimes give my dogs some of mine--non-fat Greek yogurt. Is this bad? They love it--think its ice cream.

Thanks.

Ohio State recommends whole milk organic-- I'm assuming organic for quality probiotic and whole milk would definetly not contain any artificial sweetener.

Guest Roadtripper

Thanks.

Ohio State recommends whole milk organic-- I'm assuming organic for quality probiotic and whole milk would definetly not contain any artificial sweetener.

I buy the FAGE brand greek yogurt, and they sell the non-fat kind at Costco for a great price. I and my pups love it, but I'll stop giving it to them if non-fat is bad. The ingredients just say Grade A Pasturized Skim Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (and lists 5 strains). No sweeteners or other additives, and though it's not organic, it does say they don't use milk from rGBH-treated cows. Is this yogurt still okay for my pups (crossing fingers)?

Guest ShanYu

Big dollop with dinner every night - Nike gets what we eat - 2% fat. No issues with gas which we attribute to the yoghurt. He loves it!

Thanks.

I buy the FAGE brand greek yogurt, and they sell the non-fat kind at Costco for a great price. I and my pups love it, but I'll stop giving it to them if non-fat is bad. The ingredients just say Grade A Pasturized Skim Milk, Live Active Yogurt Cultures (and lists 5 strains). No sweeteners or other additives, and though it's not organic, it does say they don't use milk from rGBH-treated cows. Is this yogurt still okay for my pups (crossing fingers)?

Sounds good to me!

My first two greys were lactose intolerant, so no yogurt. I got sweet potatoes, sliced them and steamed them instead. I still do that with my current greys. Some people give pumpkin, but there was a shortage of pumpkin in the past few years.

Siggy1.jpg

Flying Racine 7/25/08 and Twelve Pack 12/1/2004
At the Bridge- Abenacki Icebox (Kiaba) 4/21/2002-4/1/10 and Wumps Niece (Tehya) 4/21/2002-11/26/2010
www.greyhoundwelfare.org

Ok- I pulled up an issue of Greyhounds Health and Wellness Quarterly (issue 15 Summer 2011).

Ohio State recommends --"Yogurt for dogs-- Yogurt is an easy way to provide probiotics that help restore the healthy bacteria in their intestines.

We recommend 3 tablespoons of organic, full milk, NOT LOW FAT yogurt daily. Stoneyfield Farms or Brown Cow are some of the options."

I don't think it is actually harmful for them to have regular yogurt. Of course the organic premium stuff is best- as it would be for us. I have always fed "regular" yoplait or dannon or even store brand and have done so for many years with many hounds and there have been no negative effects. I do occassionally provide Primal Defense tabs-which most of them think is a treat-to provide extra probiotics. Needless to say if it has xylitol etc in it I wouldn't feed it but havn't seen this yet.

Edited by racindog

I think I am one of the few with a dog who cannot tolerate yogurt. Instead, I just throw in a probiotic pill on occasion.

It's more than a few. Neither of my two tolerate dairy at all, and I know several hounds who a have similar intolerance.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest PiagetsMom

I guess organic can't be a bad thing, but I've always gotten the impression that the emphasis is more on the preference of the whole milk / full fat yogart instead of the low-fat or non-fat variety.

I only give my pups 1 tablespoon of the Fage Total every morning (that's usually my breakfast, and they get theirs afterwards and love it!), but I'll probably increase that and see how they do. :)

Edited by PiagetsMom

I think I am one of the few with a dog who cannot tolerate yogurt. Instead, I just throw in a probiotic pill on occasion.

It's more than a few. Neither of my two tolerate dairy at all, and I know several hounds who a have similar intolerance.

Add George to the list.

If he's on antibiotics, I buy him probiotic "Pearls" and toss them in his food. Otherwise, he doesn't get them and does not appear to need them. Until I joined GT, I had never heard of people feeding yogurt to dogs!

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Add George to the list.

If he's on antibiotics, I buy him probiotic "Pearls" and toss them in his food. Otherwise, he doesn't get them and does not appear to need them. Until I joined GT, I had never heard of people feeding yogurt to dogs!

My holistic vet reccommends the Pearls too. I have used them with success during antibiotic therapy.

I had bought a thing of fat free yogurt for Angie. Guess I'll be having smoothies and getting some regular yogurt for her.

My houndies have eaten it before without incident. Just make sure it doesn't have xylitol etc. in it.

Guest Roadtripper

I had bought a thing of fat free yogurt for Angie. Guess I'll be having smoothies and getting some regular yogurt for her.

Me, too. :lol Sheesh...what spoiled pups we all have. :blush

Guest Celestrina

Me, too. :lol Sheesh...what spoiled pups we all have. :blush

Fortunately I have a very rare thing - a 9 year old (human) son who likes healthy food. He enjoys having yogurt with fruit for breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...

I started while Patrick was on 2 antibiotics. But he really likes it and could use to gain some weight, so we've kept up with about 1 heaping TBS a day of full fat yogurt.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest starbuck

We were giving Starbuck about a tablespoon or so of live culture yogurt with every meal, and she really enjoyed it. She was, however, plagued by soft stools, and we noticed early last week that when we ran out of doggurt and then forgot to pick more up, her stools firmed up as well. This is particularly awesome, but we also noticed that her gas has been out-of-this-world bad since we stopped it. I'm looking into some other probiotics in the meantime.