Getting My Hound A Friend

Guest Jacks_Human

Guest Jacks_Human

I have been thinking for a few weeks about getting a second greyhound to keep Jack company. He is a very affectionate boy, and is cordial with other dogs (he's a bit of a breed snob :rolleyes:), but there are no greyhounds in my neighborhood. He's also a very affectionate boy, and it seems to follow that he'd like another greyhound to snuggle with when I'm at work (I live very near my workplace, so I can visit him during the day, and he's very good about being left home alone, but I have 'worried doting parent' brain).

On the flip side, he is extremely loyal to me (although he's good about 'sharing' me with other humans) and I worry slightly that another hound would cause him jealousy instead of being a source of companionship.

Is there a good way to tell if a dog would prefer to be an 'only hound' or would benefit from having a buddy?

I would say try to foster one. That will tell you if your hound tolerates other dogs well living in the same space. That's how we knew Kasey was a one dog only type. We thought years later that might have changed and that's when we got Ryder.....nope....still a one dog type. They don't NOT get along, but I do wish they got along better. I thought Ryder would be a good companion and friend to Kasey but he really could care less and I think Ryder would have liked to have a friend.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

I would do the foster thing as well. I have 3 of my own and they love to play with each other in the yard. but none of them like to snuggle with each other. Ellie and Tessa will tolerate being on the same bed with me but don't like top be touching each other. :lol So with fostering you can see who Jack gets along with the best and go from there.

newsig1127ab_zps4af4600d.jpg
Isis, Always in my Heart Bijou, My Sweetest Angel

I agree that most Greyhounds love other Greyhounds.

Your dog no doubt sleeps all day. Coming home to "visit" is probably just waking him up from an awesome nap!

If you have the space and money and time for a second, go for it! There are certainly plenty waiting for a nice home! I'd personally suggest a second male. Boys seem to really get along well with each other.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Angelique

I'd personally suggest a second male. Boys seem to really get along well with each other.

My boy doesn't not like girls, its just he prefers other boys...

We got a second to help with SA. In retrospect, I suspect that we could have managed the SA but.... I really wanted another hound. Now we have two females. They are starting to snuggle, hang out together and generally have a good time, but their primary focus is on me. And at playgroups, they will tend to play with other hounds rather than each other - it usually splits along colour lines, strangely.

I would try fostering first. Bu, my first would still prefer to be an only, but I can manage the brat. Hes not aggressive, just jealous and grumpy. If there are some issues, then you can decide if they're something you can work with or not.

The last thing my two boys would do is to snuggle together. They are both way too cool for that! ;)

But they are buddies just the same. They communicate with each other, play off of each other, and just like "being" with each other. Knowing they have companionship makes us feel better about leaving them alone when we go to work.

Heisman was our only dog for eleven months, and he sounds a lot like your Jack. Happy, confident, and well-adjusted. Then we heard about Alex, who was in dire straits, so we brought him in as a foster dog until we could find a home for him. (We did, and son-of-a-gun, it was our home!) We have said many times since then that Heisman would have been fine as an only dog, but his life is more enriched with a buddy.

Good luck with your decision!

:gh_bow. :gh_bow

Cheryl - "Mom" to RUNNER (Gunnah, born 6/15/2012) and FARGO (Ridin Shotgun, born 8/21/2015). Missing my Grey-Angels HEISMAN (RX Heisman) (3/29/2005-2/1/2016) and ALEX (Bevenly) (4/15/2005-6/7/2018).

I've had a total of 13 greyhounds and each and every one of them gets along with the rest of the gang. I've had a few with some space aggression and food aggression issues but those have worked out over time.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

If YOU want a second dog then get one. Your greyhound will be fine with whatever you decide. I would expect some adjustment issues but he will be fine.

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Our first Grey was an only hound for 18 months and she would have been fine as an only hound but once we brought home our brood momma, Chauncey came out of her shell. She had been a bit of a spook and having another hound who was very out going was the best thing we could have done for Chauncey. her and Tess never snuggled but they got along well. After Momma tess passed away we brought home a big goofy boy, Darby and Chauncey don't snuggle either but they do share the couch and they will play with each other occassionaly in the yard. I suspect that Chauncey would have done fine staying an only hound but then she would have continued to be shy, having another hound has helped her know that its ok to be around people and other dogs. neither one of my hounds are breed snobs. Darby loves little dogs. Chauncey tolerates other dogs, she isn't mean to them but she isn't in love with them either. She is very aloof. I bet you pup would like a friend. As others have said try fostering and see how that goes.

Guest Angelique

Chauncey sounds just like Cassy, his attitude towards dogs is "It's not that i don't like you, it's just I really don't care if you're here or not, and I would like it you to abstain from bothering me. Thanks -Cassy"

Edited by Angelique

Guest poofmagk

I think Zaf was getting used to being alone and we were a bit worried about getting a second because she also seemed like she could take or leave other dogs we ran into. But I'm so glad we did! I was also reassured when the president of the adoption agency we got our two from (IAGA) told me that greys aren't really going to form long term grudges and might seem jealous/annoyed one second but will just as easily forget about it the next second. There have been moments where they have gotten snippy, but overall its been a lot of fun seeing the two of them get to know each other :).

Guest IndyHound

After My husky was lost to cancer Beckett was alone for the first time. He would run from room to room and search for her. He would lay next to her crate and whine. Eventually it got a little better but not much. He used to not need to be next to me all the time. Nor have much need of attention prior to her loss. Hes always been an affectionate guy but not needy. About 2 hrs after Goldie arrived at our house his who demeanor switched back to normal. It was a night and day difference. And they have become inseparable from each other. Beckett shared everything with her almost immediately. When she came in he brought up his favorite squeaky toy and laid it at her feet.

Guest sireltonsmom

Our Sir Elton was happy as an only boy. We started fostering - actually Heisman was our first foster. Sir Elton wasn't thrilled but managed. We fostered 3 more and he got used to having other greys around. Our 4th foster, Mindy, was a bounce back with issues. Both dogs have benefitted from living together. We've decided we'll always have two; one of each. Their personalities are unique - he's the southern gentleman and she's the Diva. I don't think you can go wrong trying by fostering. That is a win/win event. Also, Sir Elton is a healthy 13+ year old and Mindy is 7.

Do it! Almost every grey does better with a second (as with anything there is the rare exception). As you have Jack either a boy or girl should be fine, but I prefer two boys...as a matter of fact I prefer boys...BIG boys.:blush They have nothing to prove to anyone. Good luck!

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest Angelique

After My husky was lost to cancer Beckett was alone for the first time. He would run from room to room and search for her. He would lay next to her crate and whine. Eventually it got a little better but not much. He used to not need to be next to me all the time. Nor have much need of attention prior to her loss. Hes always been an affectionate guy but not needy. About 2 hrs after Goldie arrived at our house his who demeanor switched back to normal. It was a night and day difference. And they have become inseparable from each other. Beckett shared everything with her almost immediately. When she came in he brought up his favorite squeaky toy and laid it at her feet.

OMG!! Beckett sounds like the sibling we all wished we had. Goldie is one lucky girl!

As you have Jack either a boy or girl should be fine, but I prefer two boys...as a matter of fact I prefer boys...BIG boys.:blush They have nothing to prove to anyone. Good luck!

Ditto, the bigger the better! All the more of them to love...! (It has been brought up by my peers that perhaps I have something to prove, but that's another issue. )

As you have Jack either a boy or girl should be fine, but I prefer two boys...as a matter of fact I prefer boys...BIG boys.:blush They have nothing to prove to anyone. Good luck!

Ditto, the bigger the better! All the more of them to love...! (It has been brought up by my peers that perhaps I have something to prove, but that's another issue. )

I guess I am the rare exception here. Zola was totally fine being an only dog. I wanted a second partly for me, and partly because I thought Zola would like the company. She doesn't. She tolerates Brin but doesn't *love* her. Brin, OTOH, adores Zola.

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.