Ack! Sallie Ate A Bird!

I'm not so concerned about the fact that she ate a bird (RIP poor birdie), but I'm pretty sure she didn't catch it and kill it, but found it dead on the ground and ate it. Since I don't know why it was dead, that's what worries me.

What should I watch out for?

(Fletcher's already managed to gimp up his foot :( It's going to be a M*A*S*H morning here!)

UGH. I remember Kasey finding and eating a dead bird within seconds of me noticing the beak being swallowed!! Nothing happened to him...but I'd imagine he felt rotten while it was being digested.

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

Guest BrianRke

Diamond has caught 2 birds in mid air. She killed them both but did not eat them. I think she just likes to hear them squalking :blink: (sorry, I know thats gross)

It will probably go through her just fine. She might hack up parts of the bird in the next day (and probably re-eat them). I believe birds carry fleas? So if it was a very recently dead bird, you might be on the lookout for tapeworms after a while. But I agree with the above posts; it will probably be just fine.

Milo, eater of squirrels (tail and all!), asks "Want fries with that, Sallie?"

siggy_z1ybzn.jpg

Ellen, with brindle Milo and the blonde ballerina, Gelsey

remembering Eve, Baz, Scout, Romie, Nutmeg, and Jeter

It will probably go through her just fine. She might hack up parts of the bird in the next day (and probably re-eat them). I believe birds carry fleas? So if it was a very recently dead bird, you might be on the lookout for tapeworms after a while. But I agree with the above posts; it will probably be just fine.

Milo, eater of squirrels (tail and all!), asks "Want fries with that, Sallie?"

:rofl

millie has jumped up and caught a pigeon as it flushed. grabbed it by the wing about 6ft. off the ground & on a leash. she was about 10yrs. old at the time. not bad for a senior girlie. surprised the heck out of me. she dropped it when asked & it ran a bit & flew away minus a few wing feathers.

she also caught 3 baby partridges one day in a ground attack in the local horse pasture, killed all 3 and was chewing them like bubblegum when i caught up. blue also got three more. they chewed them into mush but didn't swallow them, i think the feathers tickled too much. ma and pa partridge got away tho blue almost got one on the wing as it took off. silly birds led them out from the hedge row right in front of my two greys, neighbor's lurcher and two spaniels.

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

mine are always snacking on stupid doves. the dog version of a "dove bar" and no problems what so ever. felix caught his first bird at 11 weeks-he was running around the yard w/ this strange brown toy w a red end(blood).emily used to eat them and leave a perfect circle of feathers at the site. it looked looked like a statanic ritual was performed at that sight. she had a blast playing and eating the dove. it's what they do, some better than others.