Introduction And Bad Health News About My Dogs

Guest JonathanGreyh

Guest JonathanGreyh

Hi all,

I've been lurking here for a while, just a few posts so far but I am compelled to write a bit here as I just found out some really sad news. Although they live with my ex (she has a house with a yard, me, an apartment, closeby), our 2 greyhounds are still the light of my life... Luke, age 9 (100 lb! brindle, adorably shy and hilariously goofy, he imagines himself to be a tiny 15lb dog, has no clue how big he is, lol) and Clown, age 13.5! (a chubby cherub, total Mr. Personality, kisser, champion snuggler). Call me a dork but they really are my best friends. Anyhow, as you can tell from Clown's age, you kind of start to prepare yourself for the end. He has had multiple surgeries in the last two years to remove malignant tumors in his legs. We are surpirsed at his resilience but the strength of his rear legs is quickly deteriorating and I don't think we will put him through chemo at his age...just want to monitor him vigilantly to ensure there is not a lot of pain. So, you dog lovers know that one starts to "prepare" oneself (as I mentioned) in the back of your head... I figure he has less than a year and will not see him endure any chronic discomfort. So his fate has been foremost in mind until my ex called this afternoon, having brought the big-bootied-brindle-boy to the vet for some random things and mentions that he's been limping a bit,front left leg, although he tore off his du-claw while running last week and just could be on the mend. Long story short, the vet notices a lump on the leg, in between two bones, does an exray, etc... BONE CANCER!!!! The vet said that it appeared a very aggressive type...said a bunch of other stuff... found out his options are going to be chemo and almost positively amputation. I was too shocked to absorb all of the technical details but my ex is really bright and understood what the vet explained and wasn't just over-reacting. So, that is my news, sorry to say. I will do a search here for "amputation" and read up a bit, as I probably should have already done, but I wanted to purge first. Thanks for reading and any advice would be appreciated, as I will fill in details as I learn more. Hope you all are having a good weekend and enjoying your pups. ----Jonathan in MASS.

Jonathan, welcome and I am sorry you are going through this. May I suggest you take a look at the Osteo thread in the H&M section as it is where many of us go when our pups are diagnosed with bone cancer. There is a lot of great advice there as each of us have taken different treatment paths and we are all there to support one another. If you have any questions about amputation and chemo for your boy, please feel free to ask as our Charlie has gone through that and is still fighting the good fight (20mths post dx & amp).

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'm so sorry. I agree that it would be a good idea to check out the osteo thread. Many of us have been through it and it's great to have the support and a place to go with questions.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Sorry, double post. Computer issues.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest JonathanGreyh

Thanks so much Charlie's Dad, FastDogs, IrskasMom, and Robin (even though you're a Habs fan :-) ) Just when you forget that the internet can be nice, I stumbled upon the likes of you all. Yeah, I'll check out the Osteo thread, read up on Charlie's history (good for him!), etc. I just was visiting the OSU Grey page--wow, what a resource! Anyhow, I realize my situation is pretty common but really appreciate the advice and sympathy.

Welcome Jonathan. I'm so sorry you received such sad news. My heart goes out to you and your ex. Each person chooses their own path when dealing with seniors and osteo. Hoping you have a many more months with your goofy boy.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Jonathan,

I am so sorry that you are having to deal with this. I am lucky to live in Columbus, home of the OSU Greyhound Health and Wellness Program. I am unlucky enough to have my greyhound, Joe, diagnosed with bone cancer 20 months ago, at age 7. He had amputation and chemo. Unfortunately the cancer is back in another leg, but he has had more time to be spoiled rotten than if I had let him go at the beginning of this journey.

A few things about bone cancer:

OSU is often less expensive (and usually more experienced) doing greyhound leg amputations than many vets on the east coast. There have been a number of people who have driven here for that very reason. Often a local greyhound family can put you and your hound up for the 5 to 7 days that you would be here, saving the cost of a hotel.

If you do decide on amputation, be sure that it is done in a vet hospital that has true 24/7 care with a vet on staff at all times. An ICU like environment is ideal. OSU has determined that most greys who die following amputation were in a facility that didn't have an actual veterinarian monitoring the dog 24 hours a day.

If you do amputation, be sure your vet follows the OSU protocol. Most importantly, your vet needs to administer Amicar (aminocaproic acid) during and for 5 days after the amputation. This is a human drug that is not usually used in veterinary practice. It is used only in greyhounds and only following major trauma or major surgery. Therefore, the vast majority of vets are totally unaware of this drug. OSU has gone from almost 25% to practically 0% of greyhounds needing blood transfusion simply by using Amicar.

It sounds like you have already found the bone cancer paper on the OSU website:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/resources/freeresources/bonecancer/index.cfm

Here is a great page on what to expect regarding both amputation and chemo:

http://minnesotagreyhounds.wordpress.com/what-to-expect-with-a-leg-amputation/

Regarding Clown: You didn't say what type of tumor it was. OSU has had some success treating certain soft tissue tumors with a local chemo. This is much easier on the dog than regular chemo. Of course, since Clown's rear end is failing this may not be an option.

I am so sorry that you have two greys who are suffering from major illness. It is really tough to deal with.

Jane

(May have misread this but I think it's the 9 year old, Luke, who has the OS diagnosis...)

Hugs

Jeannine with Merlin, the crazed tabby cat and his sister, Jasmine, the brat-cat

With GTsiggieFromJenn.jpgAngel Cody(Roving Gemini), and Weenie the tortie waiting at the Bridge

I am very sorry you're facing this. :(

We brought Berkeley to Dr. Wood at Angell Memorial for the second opinion and to discuss the options for osteo treatment. I highly recommend the Angell onco team, they are truly compassionate people: http://www.mspca.org/vet-services/angell-boston/oncology/meet-the-team.html

They worked with OSU for the consult and chemo, etc.

Good luck and don't hesitate to join us in the osteo thread if you need some advice.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

You also might want to look into Circle of Grey. The people involved are very kind, compassionate and non-judgmental. They helped me quite a bit when Phoenix had osteo.

It's also not a bad idea to have somebody at OSU look at his X-ray for a second opinion. It's free and can go far in knowing that you did everything you could.

You're not a Bruins fan, are you??. My mom still talks about Bobby Orr's blond hair flying when skating :lol

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg

(May have misread this but I think it's the 9 year old, Luke, who has the OS diagnosis...)

Hugs

Luke has bone cancer, but the OPs other greyhound, Clown, has malignant tumors on his legs. Since Clown is 13 and having problems using his rear legs, other treatment ideas may not make sense, but I wanted to pass them on, just in case.

So Jonathan and his ex have two greyhounds, both of whom have cancer.

Jane

Call me a dork but they really are my best friends.

----Jonathan in MASS.

From one dork to another ........ I wouldn't have it any other way, they do make the best friends in the world!

Jane

Edited by joejoesmom

Jonathan, I'm sorry you're here under these circumstances but welcome. You're getting great advice, but also feel free to use us to rant or process, we're hear to listen.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest JonathanGreyh

Thanks again all... Some seriously nice people here. I just got back from hand feeding both of them some gourmet angus roast beef, lol (half pound each, an hour after their kibble breakfast, doh!). The least I can do is see that they are a bit chubby when galloping over the rainbow bridge :P Talked options with ex... The vet said a full front left amputation will buy him only 4 months, while doing both that and chemo will give him ~ 1 year. And there is the other option of some concentrated chemo and really good pain management. I can't see us solely amputating just to buy 4 months. He is a "special needs" guy--very, very shy around almost everyone (He loves me, tho!!!)...I imagine an amputation without chemo would not be worth the trauma it may inflict on him mentally. All of this is just initial thoughts... Even though we both work our asses off, neither my ex or I are exactly rolling in money...unfortunately that is a factor when considering the royal red carpet cancer treatment, a sad reality. I went way overboard taking pictures today--will post some hopefully later today.

of Clown figuring out how to break down barriers in the way of taking over my bed. Luke is the big guy. He had gotten caught between the gate and the doorjamb before so he is all nervous about going over, lol.

You also might want to look into Circle of Grey. The people involved are very kind, compassionate and non-judgmental. They helped me quite a bit when Phoenix had osteo.

It's also not a bad idea to have somebody at OSU look at his X-ray for a second opinion. It's free and can go far in knowing that you did everything you could.

You're not a Bruins fan, are you??. My mom still talks about Bobby Orr's blond hair flying when skating :lol

Yeah, I'll get some digital copies of his ex-rays and send them to OSU--what a great resource, thanks.

Yes, big Bruin's fan here :blink::rolleyes: Hoping they are on an upswing--had a few bad months.

Best...

Edited by JonathanGreyh

Jonathan, I have no advice or sage wisdom to share. However, I just wanted to let you know that you and your boys are in my thoughts as you figure which path to travel. As for taking lots of pictures, there never can be too many, can there?

Wishing you many, many more precious moments and memories with your buddies.

Welcome to dorkdom. Somehow, the cult sounds a little better, though! ;)

Cindy

gallery_16605_3214_8259.jpg

Cindy with Miss Fancypants, Paris Bueller, Zeke, and Angus 
Dante (Dg's Boyd), Zoe (In a While), Brady (Devilish Effect), Goose (BG Shotgun), Maverick (BG ShoMe), Maggie (All Trades Jax), Sherman (LNB Herman Bad) and Indy (BYB whippet) forever in my heart
The flame that burns the brightest, burns the fastest and leaves the biggest shadow

Hi, Jonathon...I am sorry that you and your pup have to go through this. It's really rough! My heart goes out to you!!! I understand about a hound being so big - I have a dark brindle that is 92#. And he is BIG! We are going through a similar thing as your are. Mac was diagnosed with Mesothelioma about 3 weeks ago and that time frame of holding on to him is scary - our poor guy has been through a rough time of it also. Two years ago he suffered a blood clot in the brain, was paralyzed on the left side for about a month, but recovered nicely. No sign of any paralysis, but he is on 4 meds for hypertension. Then this year we were hit with this! I just want Mac to have quality of life and when that can't be anymore, then my husband and I have to make the decision that we dread. But for now, he is happy and knows we love him and that we treasure every minute we spend with our hounds. Take care, and know that you are in my thoughts and prayers...

Barbara, Mac & Cleo

Guest 8fleetfeet

Jonathan,

I don't have a grey with osteosarcoma--I only came into this forum because I saw the video that you posted in another forum of Clown opening the baby gate. In that post you mentioned that you had also posted the video in the H&M section, and I was wondering what health issues your beautiful--and clever--dogs might be having.

Anyway, I live in Massachusetts, and a few years ago one of my greys was diagnosed with a different type of cancer (lymphoma). We had a wonderful experience with NEVOG (New England Veterinary Oncology Group), which is in Waltham. You're lucky to be where you are since you have access to oncologists at several facilities.

Hang in there, and do lots of research.

Ellen

Having been thru 2 pups with osto sending hugs & tons of prayers. Hope you are able to create Tons more memories. Loved the video. Clown has unique markings. Your poor other pup so wants in

Cassie: Pikes Clara Bell Swoop: My Man Swoop

BRIDGE ANGELS Psi:WD'S Aleford 3/17/00-4/25/10 Snowman: Gable Snowman 1/9/96-2/14/08

That's very sad, but with a dog of that age, I would not be doing any treatment myself. I'd work on pain management and giving him lots and lots of love. Everyone feels very differently about these things.

Whatever happens, I hope he is relatively comfortable, and I'm sorry for your pain.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

That's very sad, but with a dog of that age, I would not be doing any treatment myself. I'd work on pain management and giving him lots and lots of love. Everyone feels very differently about these things.

Whatever happens, I hope he is relatively comfortable, and I'm sorry for your pain.

I agree with this way of thinking 100%. To date, in the last two years, we have spent about $19,000 on our grey...and not to say that I wouldn't do that again, because I would...But at 8 years of age I am kind of seeing him age in front of my eyes through all this trauma. And it is very traumatic for him since he's a little scared of some things and gets excited easily. With his hypertension we try to keep him as calm as possibleand we are doing exactly as you say by working on the pain management of Mac's mesothelioma diagnosis. Our vet pretty much told us make him happy, let him know he's loved and give him what he wants (well, within limits!!!)

And you are right...everyone feels differently about this, but there is no more we can do, but love him!