Does Heartguard Upset Tummies?

Guest driser

Peyton doesn't get diarrhea but his stool is looser after a dose.

Ditto. The vet said it has something to do with the beef flavor additive they put in it.

gallery_24215_3397_4722.jpg

Carolina (R and A Carolina) & Rebel (FA Ready).
At the bridge: Kira (Driven by Energy) 7/19/97 - 6/17/04 & Jake (Jumpstart Dude) 9/12/00 - 1/24/15

• 2 months later...

I know this reply is a couple of months late, but we just switched from Interceptor to Heartgard Plus this morning and Betty just had a round of Diarrhea. She's had digestive problems in the past (possibly IBD), so it sounds like the same issue. I try to keep her on chicken based food and treats. The Heartgard is the only thing I can think of that suddenly brought this on, and Betty's mood seems fine, so hopefully it's the same thing. But also a bummer since we had no problems with Interceptor, but apparently they are having production problems and we were given Heartgard instead.

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

Betty "Beauty" Joan. 63B-21375. June 2003 - March 2015. Thank you pretty girl!

Peyton doesn't get diarrhea but his stool is looser after a dose.

Ditto. The vet said it has something to do with the beef flavor additive they put in it.

Same here. It's a minor annoyance... not enough of a problem to warrant switching to something else. They're back to normal within 24 hours.

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

Betty had a bit of extra hyper-activity this evening, which is good to see. I get a little concerned whenever I see diarrhea after a prolonged bad experience a year ago. On our normally scheduled evening walk, it was loose, but not explosive. Hopefully she can get through the night.

The thing I don't like is that if this is to be monthly, I have to schedule time to be available so she doesn't have an accident in the house. But at least it's a known occurrence and doesn't seem to be too severe, so it should be workable.

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

Mine don't seem to have any problems after they've had there pill. I normally give them a treat or two just so they have some thing in there tummies too!

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

It took the most recent dose of Heartgard for me to recognize that yes, Silver is having a reaction to her monthly heartworm med. A day's worth of soft, green poop, and then she's fine. Sam had no issues.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest sirsmom

Our vet informed us he is only carrying Heartguard now (we used Interceptor) so we tried it for the first time 2 days ago and yes we have soft poop also in both dogs.

• 4 weeks later...

Another little bit of follow up. Betty had her second dose today and I was prepared for a repeat of last month's day of diarrhea but didn't get it. Poop was normal. Betty just seems a little more sleepy today than usual. Weird.

I still miss interceptor.

Edited by jshell

jeffbettybanner2.jpg

My guys got their second dose of heart guard today. Last month it was fine. Tonight, they each had an extra poop and it was a little on the soft side. It is very hot here, so, their systems could be out of sorts.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

Guest arlosmom

Well, this is a bummer, I haven't really paid attention to this but it is making me really miss interceptor. I had a good thing going with interceptor and advantix and now it is all messed up. I guess a minor amount of loose is not the end of the world.

Our EZ gets diarreah from it....and Dustin has belly issues, so I'm not comfortable with it. I have been doing Revolution which does the fleas and the heartworm. It's a bit of a waste in the winter as I don't need the flea control, just the heartworm, but I don't think they have a topical heartworm only at this point. The downside is that I hate doing the flea chemicals all those extra months.....I worry about the long-term from those.

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

I have been doing Revolution which does the fleas and the heartworm. It's a bit of a waste in the winter as I don't need the flea control, just the heartworm, but I don't think they have a topical heartworm only at this point. The downside is that I hate doing the flea chemicals all those extra months.....I worry about the long-term from those.

Revolution only has 1 active ingredient, selamectin, which works for both fleas and heartworms. So you're really not giving any extra chemicals. I'm not a big fan of Revolution for dogs because it doesn't treat and prevent intestinal parasites like most of the oral heartworm preventatives do.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

Heartgard Plus Sunday morning. Soft green poop Sunday night...on both dogs. I'm no longer surprised by this.

Everyone back to normal by tonight. Oddly enough, my ailing old man recovers faster than his healthy younger sister.

Interceptor can't get back in production too soon for me.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)