Soft Sided Crates

Guest greybookends

Are you talking about the ones that are made of cloth or canvas to make them easy for travel?

If so I see no problem so long as the grey crates well. I have heard of greys that could destroy one in no time flat if it was so inclined. At the same time I have seen some that resemble little tents that the grey seemed to enjoy. It depends on your grey and how well he/she crates.

We used one for Joey while he recovered from surgery on his hock. It was nice because I could move it easily from room to room. However, when he wanted to get out of it, he was able to collapse it which was scary. He even learned to unzip it. I stopped using it after that. We used the Midwest Canine Camper.

Patty,

Mom to Jaxson 5/12/2017

Forever in my heart: Joey 11/01/2007 to 12/06/2018, Scout 11/19/2005 to 07/15/15 and Jack 01/03/2004 to 06/11/2011

my dogs love their crates and i can never get them out of it. but when i had a soft sided crate in the gently used greyhound goods for sale there was no way that i could get either of them into the soft sided crate( it must have been too dark in there). felix even hangs out in a vari-kennel, but i could not get them into the soft crate. i know mid west makes(made) a crate that was all mesh(the same fiber that sunshade window treatments are made out of). i had one for my first grehyound, but she was gnawing on a bone and ate right thru the mesh.i returned it and told the store that there was a defect in the design, i still can't believe they gave me a store credit.btw, the later midwest kennel was a pita to set up and break down.

this is what we had, the lighter tan color

http://www.dogkennels.com/dog-crates/soft-sided-dog-crates/itzabreezetoogreensoftsidedcrate.cfm

Edited by cleptogrey

Define durable. For me a durable soft crate is one that stand up over time to the wear of tear of set up & take down, being shoved & dragged across the floor or ground, getting crammed into the vehicle with all the other gear, zippers hold up to lots of opening & closing, etc. etc. However, there's not a soft crate around that a dog can't zip through in a few seconds if that is what the dog wanted. Not trying to discourage you. I have two soft crates & they are very handy. These are not for leaving dogs unsupervised. They are more like an extra pair of hands when I need to be doing something else. They serve a similar purpose as xpens. Sometimes xpens are more handy. Other times soft crates are better. Any dog could escape easily from any of them.

The handiest is this cheapo pop up Sport Pet crate you can get at Walmart or Target. They've held up well enough but durable isn't a description I would apply to them. On the other hand my old Cabana Crate made by DoggoneGood! has been very very durable but is no longer made. (an older model of this http://www.doggonegood.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&Product_ID=3864&ParentCat=82 ) It functioned flawlessly up until the time I was stupid enough to crate miss Venus in it at my parents house. For the life of me I don't know why I did it other than to give her her own space in a bedroom with two other dogs. She tore it right where the mesh meets canvas. It's reparable & will be used again but taught me a lesson. I want another soft crate but am waiting for DoggoneGood! to come out with their new "Cabana Ultralight CrateTent". Want to see what that is like before I decide. If I had to get one right now thought I think I would go with a Noz2Noz N2 http://www.amazon.com/Firstrax-NOZTONOZ-Sof-Krate-Indoor-Outdoor/dp/B000P9TNLI

Guest jbbuzby

We have a soft sided crate and my guy really liked it. However, he was not at all destructive or much of a chewer. I do like how much easier it is to move, but it is harder to clean and smells doggy after a while. I wouldn't use it for a dog that has any issues crating.

I got one when I first got Beth, thinking of it for travel. She crates wonderfully in her regular wire crate and is always crated when I go out. Set up the canvas-sided crate in my bedroom to try it out while I went out briefly. First off, she totally tipped it over on its side moving around in it. Then one stray claw pawing at it or something and the mesh window was history. So much for crating her in it. Now it stays open at the food of my bed as a sort of "canopy bed" for her (but one of my cats mostly uses it these days).

With Cocoa (DC Chocolatedrop), missing B for Beth (2006-2015)
And kitties C.J., Klara, Bernadette, John-Boy, & Sinbad

I had one that I used for meet-n-greets - I would put the dog in it so he/she could get some rest especially if it was a "new one" that was not used to the activity. I loved mine, I could set it up in less than 5 minutes and take it down in the same amount of time - it was also incredibly light and easy to carry (it even had shoulder straps). BUT, my dog figured out how to open the zipper and eventually he broke it. I would never leave a dog in it without someone right there as a dog could eventually get out of it so they would really need to be watched.

The only crate I ever had for my hounds is a Canine Camper brand soft sided crate. I highly recommend these. The one we have has 'windows' and you can make it as light and bright as you want.

I personally thought the regular metal crates (greyhound size) were unbelievably heavy and cumbersome and I didn't want that thing sitting around our house. That's just me.

I loved that the Canine Camper folds nice and flat in its own case and is easy to travel with.

We only used a crate with Toby for a short while til he got acclimated to home life (he came straight off the track) and we barely used it with Robin since he doesn't do well crated. It did come in very handy when staying in hotels with Toby. This is the one we have:

cc.jpg

Edited by fsugrad

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

I had one where the top opened that I used when traveling. Jazzy loved it and with the top open would stay in it. She is claustrophobic so the open top was a good solution for her.