Need An Answer Fast ( Things Have Calmed Down Now)

Guest arlosmom

Guest arlosmom

My husband just called from the vet getting ready to take Arlo home after dental. Upon trying to load hime for the ride home they think he had a panic attack but he is running a fever. Could this be malignant hypothermia. Seems to have a great need for water.

Husband just called back he seems to have recovered, no fever now.

Edited by arlosmom

Glad he seems better. When it's happened to my hounds (non-malignant hyperthermia), it's been right when they're coming out of anesthesia. I've had mine be wonky for quite a while after dentals but that doesn't seem to be non-MH - more just getting the drugs out of their systems.

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

I would watch him closely. My Jack's situation (though symptomatically different) did not onset until around the time I went to pick him up. If he seems to slide backwards at all, I would have him at an EVET ASAP. Just not sure that all things onset at the same rate.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Guest arlosmom

We got him homearound 4:45. Evidently most of this went on about 2:30 this afternoon. He was awake at twelve and doing fine but about 2:00 started panting really hard and they called my husband. By the time they got him in the car he was in a panic and running a fever. They took him back inside and gave him a light sedative and saline. We just got him home and in the house and he started another round of panting but did not seem to be getting hot. Did a big pee outside before bringing him in. I think he is calming now. Vet will be in the office for another hour incase he relapses. Hope we are oK.

Edited by arlosmom

Guest arlosmom

See if your hound was given narcotics. Take his temp now.

No they did not. He is cool right now but still periodically panting.

Edited by arlosmom

Ugh......I agree....monitor that temp constantly.....and watch for either the panting or extreme lethargy - beyond normal post-anesth. sleepiness. Hopefully he is just working this stuff out of his system.

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge

Guest arlosmom

Ugh......I agree....monitor that temp constantly.....and watch for either the panting or extreme lethargy - beyond normal post-anesth. sleepiness. Hopefully he is just working this stuff out of his system.

Husband is laying on the floor with him and constantly checking temp. He is telling me that he is a lot better than 2 hrs. ago. I was at work when this went down. He does not seem sleepy but still a little wide eyed.

Is his skin color OK...not too light or dark? ...like inside his ears, his gums, and on his belly?

Guest arlosmom

Is his skin color OK...not too light or dark? ...like inside his ears, his gums, and on his belly?

Skin color looks fine. Husband just took his IV bandage off and he settled down a bit.

Skin color looks fine. Husband just took his IV bandage off and he settled down a bit.

Awesome. Gum color is always a good indicator of things....

Keeping my fingers crossed for you!

Maybe the bandage was hurting???

Edited by mychip1

Deb, on the receipt does it list what meds were used for sedation?

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Guest arlosmom

Deb, on the receipt does it list what meds were used for sedation?

I haven't looked at it but Dr. Layton has anesthisized Arlo several time with no effects. Always used the same procedure. None of our dogs have ever had a problem. He is resting now but I am waiting a couple of hours for a little soft food. He's not too thirsty since he had a bag of fluid. Since he is twelve this will be last teeth cleaning. He did not loose a tooth! His teeth are not pretty but he has all but one from last time.

Just checked and he is now sleeping peacefully with regular breathing.

Edited by arlosmom

Guest arlosmom

I just went through that and it sounds like it to me! It was super scarey. He had a temp of 107.2 when I got him back to the vet. He barely charged me anything for the after hours visit. I sure hope he got better fast for you. I am praying for you all!

Temp went to 105 according to my husband but they fanned, gave me fluids and used cool rags to bring temp down. I think he is OK now just exhausted. He is sleeping well right now so I am going to keep and eye on him but leave him alone. Kingfish is right by his side seeming very concerned.

Mine slipped continually and quickly.deep into an almost coma-like state....body was covered in purple splotches. That's why I asked about skin. So glad to see he has stabilized! Didn't really want to add that detail when I asked about his color...:blush

Guest arlosmom

Mine slipped continually and quickly.deep into an almost coma-like state....body was covered in purple splotches. That's why I asked about skin. So glad to see he has stabilized! Didn't really want to add that detail when I asked about his color...:blush

What did you end up doing when this happened?

What did you end up doing when this happened?

We spent 18 hours doing fluids....but he just got progressively worse. That is why I was so happy to hear that your boy stabilized. They never were able to determine what happened. It was not diagnosed as MH.... or Non-M H - particularly because of the color and the stiff muscles.

Guest arlosmom

He just got up and went to the bedroom. So husband got out the meds and offerred him some in a pill pocket. He ate it right up. So we offered him some soft canned food just a little and he scarfed it up. I think he is ok now! I think the pain in his hips from the xray may have triggered this. He has bone on bone in his left hip we learned today from his xrays. I am sure he is in pain from laying on the table. Back legs are really shakey but he is up a little. thank God!

Thank goodness.....I can't tell you how much relief I felt to read this last post...:rolleyes:

Oh, what a relief! I am so pleased to hear that Arlo seems to be much better now :) It must have been really frightening :grouphug

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Lucky had a similar reaction after his dental. The vet called me and told me to come get him ASAP because he was freaking out. They kept a close eye on his temp. It took him a while to calm down once I had picked him up.

I decided never again will he go under. Scared the crap out of me!!

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest arlosmom

Thanks everyone for the good words. It was really scary although more for my husband and our vet than me since I found out at work when the crisis was really over although I did not know it. I came home in a bit of a panic. Left my cell phone and a few other things in the car unlocked overnight I was in such a hurry to be near him when I got home and that is a no no around here. This morning he seems to be almost normal. Ate well, peed well, still panting a little while walking but I really think they probably hurt his hip with the xray postition yesterday. We have upped his pain meds now that we know what is really wrong with his back end.