Petzlife Dental Spray Or Gel?

I have seen GT'ers rave about the Petzlife dental products.

Question: I see it comes in spray and gel. Which type do you prefer?

Do you use this before or after you brush your hound's teeth? How often do you use it?

If you use the gel, do you apply it with a washcloth?

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Guest verthib

Thank you for raising this topic! I need advice! I brush both of my grey's teeth twice a week but their breath still stinks like "poultry" or "beef". Last night I bought a new toothpaste by Arm and Hammer, it's beef flavored but was marked as "minty smell"...which I thought would help their odor. OMG it was terrible!!!! What do people use for freshening their dogs' breath? I can't give them dental treats because they are on a limited ingredient diet, but is there a toothpaste or spray that freshens?

I have the salmon flavored gel for Pooter. She had plaque and the start of gingivitis. About a month after starting the Petzlife her teeth are spotless. I use a soft doggie toothbrush and brush her teeth with the Petzlife after she eats. For the first month I did her teeth after she ate morning and night. Now I only do her teeth maybe three times a week to maintain. Pooter is super easy though and a very good girl to work with.

I want to get the spray for the boys. Cracker had a major dental after he came home and his teeth look great right now as do Dodgers. I tried brushing DD's teeth with the gel. Nope, that is a major wrestling match with Mr-I-Hate-To-Be-Touched. I think the spray will work o.k. for him. Cracker is pretty easy to work with too. Either / or would probably work for him. It does work, you just have to be diligent about brushing.

We've been using it for almost a year now and have always prefered the spray. If you follow the directions it works. For us, the spray is easier to apply.

When you start using it, it tells you to spray 1/2 and hour before or after eating, twice a day. On the third day of use, you brush, and continue on with that schedule. It's been a huge help for both Lenny and Wayne

Claudia-noo-siggie.jpg

Missing my little Misty who took a huge piece of my heart with her on 5/2/09, and Ekko, on 6/28/12

:candle For the sick, the lost, and the homeless

I use the gel and just put it on my finger and rub it on Lila's teeth as best as I can. I think the spray would freak her out. The instructions on the bottle say that the crazy licking your dog will do after applying it is actually spreading it around to all surfaces of the teeth. My understanding (and it could be wrong) is that this stuff works by sitting on the teeth, that's why no food or drink before or after, so I don't really brush with it. I do brush with an enzymatic toothpaste every few days.

You can find some good prices on-line. The $20 or so for a bottle is way cheaper than a dental.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

I use the gel and just put it on my finger and rub it on Lila's teeth as best as I can. I think the spray would freak her out. The instructions on the bottle say that the crazy licking your dog will do after applying it is actually spreading it around to all surfaces of the teeth. My understanding (and it could be wrong) is that this stuff works by sitting on the teeth, that's why no food or drink before or after, so I don't really brush with it. I do brush with an enzymatic toothpaste every few days.

You can find some good prices on-line. The $20 or so for a bottle is way cheaper than a dental.

Exactly. Dentals are very expensive where I live and Toby gets them yearly as his teeth are bad. I am really trying to step up the dental care at home to see if I can stretch the time between vet dental cleanings.

Rita, mom to Dakota (Dakotas Dream) & Wish (Kiowa Wish Wish) and my angels

Toby (Sol Marcus) and Robin (Greys Robin Hood)

Forever missing our beloved Robin and Toby

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." Anatole France

Thank you for raising this topic! I need advice! I brush both of my grey's teeth twice a week but their breath still stinks like "poultry" or "beef". Last night I bought a new toothpaste by Arm and Hammer, it's beef flavored but was marked as "minty smell"...which I thought would help their odor. OMG it was terrible!!!! What do people use for freshening their dogs' breath? I can't give them dental treats because they are on a limited ingredient diet, but is there a toothpaste or spray that freshens?

Brushing twice a week is not effective---you really need to brush daily. Your dogs oral health is no different than yours. I actually use a SonicCare electric brush and I'm now able to floss :P Most dogs will tolerate an electric toothbrush if you introduce it slowly to them. The greyt thing about using an electric spin brush or the likes is it only takes a minute to brush. You just need to get into the habit of doing it daily.

I use a pet toothpaste followed by some Petzlife gel.

Guest FordRacingRon

Leia is pushing 9 (will be in May) and the only dental she has ever had was the one the group gave her when she got off the track. Much to the dismay of our vet, we keep her teeth clean (dismay because he can't find any dental prodcuts to sell us). I brush her teeth every day. When the buildup starts we switch into Petzlife mode. I tried both and for us, the gel seemed to last longer and work a bit better. When we go into Petzlife mode we use it every other day, the odd days brushing the even days gelling. Leia doesn't mind a brush but I put the Petz stuff on with my fingers , we ust use a brush when we brush her teeth.

Although,,and I could be wrong as I am wrong countless times a day,,if you do brush everyday and your dog still has stinky breath,,there could be another problem going on.

Guest greygirls2

I brush with the gel each night unless they had a turkey neck that day then I just use the dpray before bed. You can but PetzLife much cheaper through PetEdge. I've had fantastic results using this and my babies have sparkling white tarter free toothies and none have ever had a dental even straight from the track. My vet is amazed at the condition of their teeth!

Guest mirinaaronsmom

I started using the gel daily soon after the vet told me Miri needed a tooth pulled. By the time the day came for her dental (a couple of weeks later), the vet commented on how much better her gums and teeth were (she still need 3 teeth pulled - too late for them). Her breath is much nicer too. When I ran out of the gel, I tried the spray and both my hounds hated it. So we went back to the gel. I alternate days between brushing and applying the gel. I just use my fingers and apply it to the outside of the teeth right before bed. I read somewhere that it's better not to give it before eating and that bedtime is best so it will work throughout the night.

Is there a comparison among the group between Petzlife and Proden Plaque Off? I've read good things on GT about Proden and use it daily, as well as brush Annie Bella's teeth. She had decent teeth to begin with and I haven't noticed a difference by using Proden.

I have never tried the spray. Lexie lets me us the gel on a kids battery operated toothbrush. :colgate

Brushing twice a week is not effective---you really need to brush daily. Your dogs oral health is no different than yours. I actually use a SonicCare electric brush and I'm now able to floss :P Most dogs will tolerate an electric toothbrush if you introduce it slowly to them. The greyt thing about using an electric spin brush or the likes is it only takes a minute to brush. You just need to get into the habit of doing it daily.

wow i am impressed! Do u really floss her teeth or are u joking?

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

Guest verthib

Both of mine tolerate an electric toothbrush. I plan to continue doing that twice per week and adding the petzlife spray or gel, now that I've heard how good it is!

I have never tried the spray. Lexie lets me us the gel on a kids battery operated toothbrush. :colgate

Nope- no joke! My girl gets yuk stuck between her incisors- flossing gets rid of the flavor savers!

Nope- no joke! My girl gets yuk stuck between her incisors- flossing gets rid of the flavor savers!

wow!! I am really impressed with you. I may try flossing with Lexie. She lets me do almost anything to her :colgate

Lexie is gone but not forgotten.💜

I use the gel. It has a minty smell. I brush her teeth with a mix of the Petzlife and the CET toothpaste. I agree that the toothpaste alone does not make for fresh breath. Adding the Petzlife really helps!

Forever in my heart: my girl Raspberry & my boys Quiet Man, Murphy, Ducky, Wylie & Theo
www.greyhoundadventures.org & www.greyhoundamberalert.org & www.duckypaws.com

The 4 ounce bottle of gel is only $15 on Amazon. A bottle that size lasts a long time.

I have started using the gel with my finger to rub it in. In just over a week of daily use I can already see the difference.

The spray does not seem to work as well as the gel on my finger. I used to use the gel on a toothbrush, but that was not as effective.

gallery_9381_2904_4242.jpg

Molly Weasley Carpenter-Caro - 6 Year Old Standard Poodle.

Gizzy, Specky, Riley Roo & Lady - Our beloved Greyhounds waiting at the Rainbow Bridge.

We use the gel and apply by finger so I can really feel how far back I am. The vet showed me I don't need him to open his mouth with the gel, I just pull the flappy side lip out and stick my finger in and rub it all around the exterior top and bottom. He deals with the Petzlife gel application much better than brushing currently.

Guest LoveSeniorGreys

We have been using the peppermint flavor Petzlife spray for about 2 months. Use it right before bedtime. After spending thousands on dentals for all of our past greys...this stuff is wonderful and cheap! :gh_face