Trout?

Guest Wasserbuffel

Guest Wasserbuffel

How do raw feeders on here feel about trout? I know salmon-oil is good for coats and Omega-3 is good for everyone.

Should I try a whole fish? Filet it? Skin it?

Is it a bad idea all together?

Don't worry guys, I'm not crazy enough to buy it (almost $10/lb!), but a couple times a year there are trout stocked in local lakes. I love fishing and these trout are fairly easy to catch, but I don't fish for them because I won't eat trout. I figured though, that if I were to go out and catch a few it would be a good way to get something new and interesting in Jayne's diet. It being essentially free food for the dog doesn't hurt either.

Guest RaznNik

My guys love sardines in the little cans, so I went out and bought a few bags of the frozen sardines. They were a no go - they just turned up their noses at the frozen ones (I did let them thaw out). I still have them in the freezer - maybe I should try again. That is the only fish I have tried.

Guest Iceman41

I would be worried about the bones in the trout. Don't they have real small bones that can hurt them?

Do the sardines in the can have bones?

Just curiiouse I work in a large groc store chain here in pa o was going to get a can of sardines and try it.

Please elaborate

Edited by Iceman41

Guest Wasserbuffel

Canned sardines have all their bones, as do mackerel. Jayne goes nuts for both.

But, trout being bigger, I don't know if they would become an issue. That's why I'm thinking I might have to filet the trout.

I don't think the bones would be an issue, but I can't really give first hand advice, since all of mine refuse to touch any raw fish :rolleyes: Canned sardines, mackerel, salmon, fine, but raw, no way :lol

Iceman41, the sardines/mackerel in cans are cooked, and the bones are essentially mush.

Guest RaznNik

Yea, the sardines in cans are soft - they just look like headless little fish! Believe me, your pups will love you if you feed them sardines:) I split a can between two of them once or twice a week.

fresh trout for dogs :eek ...NO FOR ME!!!! oh, man it tastes soooo go and is soooo sweet :couchjump . where did you find an abudance of trout? brown or brookies? i die for fresh trout,it's not trout season anyway...huh???

i would go on to a raw feeding site and double check, but send them to yonkers! i know what to do w/ trout!

I have an elder neighbor that catches his limit of cute little trout quite often so I share them with the mutts. I do cook them and bone them first though and they love them. I've yet to offer them a food that they won't eat - I take that back, no raw bananas. Jimmie is still getting used to the raw meat and carries it around for a while trying to figure out what to do with it blink.gif

Yep-- if you haven't yet let them have sardines or mackerel, try it - they'll love it!

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart

the bones in cooked canned sardines are soft (you can also buy boneless ones if you are paranoid).

when i was stationed in kodiak in the early '70's, i went fishing in one of the local streams on the base, caught a good bunch of small trout-sized salmon, went back to the BOQ to clean & freeze them. they had little white wiggling wormy things in cysts in the flesh. threw them out. have not gone fishing since. i also NEVER eat salmon.

Edited by kronckew

Regards,
Wayne Kroncke

CAVE CANEM RADIX LECTI ET SEMPER PARATUS
Vegetarians: My food poops on your food.

Guest Wasserbuffel
resh trout for dogs :eek ...NO FOR ME!!!! oh, man it tastes soooo go and is soooo sweet :couchjump . where did you find an abudance of trout? brown or brookies? i die for fresh trout,it's not trout season anyway...huh???

These are farm-raised rainbow trout that our Game commission stocks in local lakes in the spring and fall. We have wild trout in streams in Nebraska, but they're all several hours from me. The local pond that gets stocked, however, is closer than my normal fishing spot.

Freezing for at least 24 hours is supposed to kill most fish-parasites and worms. I think I'll probably end up cooking them, maybe in the pressure cooker to soften the bones so they're more like the canned fish I know she already likes.

just steam them in the microwave. the pressure cooker is way too much cooking and they are easy to debone. you don't need a fancy steamer, if you can't elevate them on a dish then just add some water and cook away. not sure of the time factor since i don't know how many or how strong your microwave is. but i don't think the dogs will be too fussy if they are over cooked.

for your self...do try a couple...good old quick frying in olive oil and butter- lots of fresh ground pepper and some salt and lemon. for a 14"trout it's only a couple of minutes on each side- a splash of white wine or beer doesn't hurt. that's my simple camping recipe. you can cover it for 2 minutes or so, trout cooks really fast. enjoy-

My guys love sardines in the little cans, so I went out and bought a few bags of the frozen sardines. They were a no go - they just turned up their noses at the frozen ones (I did let them thaw out). I still have them in the freezer - maybe I should try again. That is the only fish I have tried.

Otis loves his sardines-sicles!

:blush

siggy2_zpsfb2ddd63.jpg
Our first greyhound, Tuffy: You will always be there with us my angel!
Tuffy greyhound-data
Otis greyhound-data Abbey greyhound-data
"When you open your minds to the impossible, sometimes you find the truth." W.Bishop

I feed raw fish all the time as a topping on kibble, although mostly it's been frozen. I don't filet, I don't gut; the bones and offal are supposed to be good for them. I cut it up and hand feed it to them after I have "primed the pump" with some other food. I buy fish heads too. Little smelts are like potato chips to them. I would definately feed them the trout, just cut it up into bite size pieces, right across the backbone.

Edited by spottydog