Help. My New Grey Is; Is My New Grey Threatening My Kids? (Long Post)

Guest Bikeman

I'm the techie of the BikeFamily... I need five more posts, well, four, with this one LOL before I can post to the gallery, HOWEVER, I did create a signature banner. Here is our Chasey Wasey Woo Woo, as the girls call him :D

The siggie is great! You can upload pics to photobucket, then copy the image code into your posts. It's so easy, even I can do it! More pictures!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest happygrey

Love the sig!! The twirling girlies! :lol That's awesome.

The pic and tagline with Chase are fabulous!

BTW, I looked into a Crossfit recently and backed off after my sister, who has done several triathlons, told me how she tried it out and could barely move for 2 days. :lol:eek I think I need to get my baseline up before even thinking about that!

Edited by happygrey

I am so glad your daughter has adjusted and is accepting Chase again. I think you, your wife, your children and Chase are very fortunate to have found each other. Please be sure to ask if you have more questions share and some of your funny stories with Chase; believe me they will happen.

Here is wishing your whole family a Merry Christmas a and Happy New Year.

Guest jbbuzby

I second many of the posts you've gotten so far. I am amazed that your trainer could not solve this problem, as this is extremely common; Chase is simply testing boundaries, which could easily be solved with some redirection and leadership to confirm that YOU are in fact the boss. The best books for this IMO: "Surviving your Dog's Adolescence" by Carol Lee Benjamin, or even "The Loved Dog" by Tamar Geller. For now, have a squirt bottle and treats handy. If Chase takes something, first say "NAH AH!!!" and "Drop it!" and if he fails to drop, squirt him with the bottle several times to get him to move away from the object. When/if he does drop it, toss him a treat and praise warmly verbally (only the first few times...otherwise he will learn to take things in order to get a treat!).

First, I would have Chase muzzled for a while around your girls. You should really read "Living with Kids and Dogs...and not losing your mind" by Colleen Pelar if you haven't already...it has lots of wonderful stuff in it.

You need to explain to your daughter that Chase is not being mean...he is merely seeing what he can get away with and is acting like a spoiled child. Then explain how you are going to solve the problem and that being nervous or afraid is only going to make Chase more inclined to test boundaries...you all need to be calm and matter-a-fact when it comes to dealing with him until he understands. Usually this phase of taking things is ending quite quickly (after the first or second time) when the dog realizes that the behavior doesn't work; however, you need to be firm with him and make sure he never gets away with it again. It will hopefully go as quickly as it came.

Edit: Saw that things are going better...glad to hear it! But that's what we are here for, should you need any refreshers :).

Edited by jbbuzby

Seems like you're doing a greyt job. :) it must be hard to manage young children and a new dog. We as adults make mistakes so we can't expect kids to understand things right away; it takes time. Chase sounds like a wonderful boy, though, so I am sure you'll get things settled in no time.

Guest Bikeman

You are right on it being challenging handling a family and a new dog. However, it is no more challenging than the lives of most everyone reading this. I think we all have stressors that take our mind off of maintaining/giving consistent attention to the necessary's of life. My wife and I have a policy of not overcommitting to life -it helps keep stress down. It amazes me how our nice nextdoor neighbors have event after event after event they are involved with for there three same aged girls. They are always coming home late in the evening from ballet, swimming, girl scouts, etc., etc. No thanks! Us modern folks in America really need to step back, deconflict/minimize our schedules, and be happy with/seek excellence in few things -not mediocrity in volumes of things.

Merry Christmas.

Bikeman

Guest ashphobiax

i dont think you should give up, hes new and trying to figure out the situation hes also never even been in a house or around kids, give him a chance. he will come around, also try and teach your children about what he did and why he did it, invading the dogs space since he was on "his" bed isnt the best idea, i think your child should maybe ask you for help when the dog takes something from them. also moving isnt really a good excuse to get rid of the dog. just wait and see B) i bet he will be an awesome dog!

Guest Bikeman

Your logic about CrossFit is .... well logical. HOWEVER, you will never get the baseline up "there." No one ever does. Sooooo, I would encourage you to jump in and just do it. CrossFit is scalable, meaning you are expected to do what you can. I see newbies all the time and it shifting back/adjusting the workouts, but still having you in the group workout WORK! You need to be around others. Its like marriage or parenthood, your never totally ready. Learning along the way is the norm. Learning when it is the real deal tends to be the valuable kind. Seriously, I am not discounting your sisters experience, but she trains and competes in long distance type movements so it is totally understandable that she was beat up by it. We all are, every workout. Today, I couldn't finish the workout. It literally killed me. I am sore. Yesterday, I had a good day, stinkin' flew (we ALL excel at certain types of exercise and yesterday was mine) and got second in the class, which was a first for me. Try out as many CrossFit clubs in your area (that you would consider within your driving distance) as you can. Each club has a different flavor. Some are hardcore with tattoo's and hardcore music (not my absolute favorite), some are smaller, some have lots of equipment, etc., etc. But, please don't put it off until you feel more qualified, we never get there. You can do this!! Go for six months consistently. A big part of the CrossFit scene is the Paleo Diet. I really like it. Different philosophy's under the paleo (ithic) diet. Research it and give it a try. You'll be amazed at the results in many ways.

Hope I didn't sound so preachy. Just my experiences. I think you'll feel humbled and absolutely encouraged and empowered at the same time.

Bikeman

BTW, I looked into a Crossfit recently and backed off after my sister, who has done several triathlons, told me how she tried it out and could barely move for 2 days. :lol:eek I think I need to get my baseline up before even thinking about that!

Guest Bean_Scotch

I may be in the minority here, but that child broke not 1 but 2 rules when it comes to having dogs and children...As a dog trainer and one that works with a lot of dogs with behavior 'issues'...The child deserved it. Yes, I realize that sounds cold but she violated the dogs space and just as dogs need to respect children, children need to respect dogs. I would say the dog acted appropriately, told the child off for doing something he didn't like and didn't bite her. BONUS! Trade something he has that's not appropriate for something that he can have. Teaching the dog obedience with the child will help instill respect for all people both big and small and thus build their relationship so that they have a common ground and understanding.

I'm glad to hear things are working out for you guys. Chase sounds like a great hound. Another thing you could do is if your kids want to pet Chase. Make him go to them by having them call him over to them. And them have the girls praise him for going over them.

Sarah, mom to Stella and Winston . And to Prince, Katie Z, Malone, Brooke, Freddie, Angel and Fast who are all waiting at the Bridge!

www.gpawisconsin.org

Guest Mom2Shiloh

http://greyhound-data.com/d?z=Obdkgv&d=Chase+Biscuit&x=0&y=0 Two more pictures on his Greyhound-Data page! You can copy the link and paste into posts directly from Photobucket or similar, without having a gallery :)

Chase is a Kiowa Sweet Trey grandson, so he's a nephew of my Bravo (Hays Bravo). Very handsome boy-- and Bravo is very sweet, grounded -- wonderful disposition and personality.

I'm glad someone shared the Kathleen Gilley piece (actually 2 someones) -- it's one of my favorites and I find it very helpful for new adopters. You seem to be doing splendidly, and Chase is beautiful Merrry Christmas.

Thank you for giving Chase a second chance. You do sound like great parents for working through this with your kids and Chase rather than just throwing in the towel which so many others do. Chase really does sound like a wonderful greyhound that has a tremendous amount of potential as a family dog. Our greyhound Bonny was bounced for "aggression" towards kids. When our nieces were here for Thanksgiving, my 6 y/o niece said that Bonny was her favorite. Our nieces have had a dog since they were born and know the rules pretty good. It makes all the difference in the world.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest Bikeman

http://greyhound-data.com/d?z=Obdkgv&d=Chase+Biscuit&x=0&y=0 Two more pictures on his Greyhound-Data page! You can copy the link and paste into posts directly from Photobucket or similar, without having a gallery :)

Chase is a Kiowa Sweet Trey grandson, so he's a nephew of my Bravo (Hays Bravo). Very handsome boy-- and Bravo is very sweet, grounded -- wonderful disposition and personality.

I'm glad someone shared the Kathleen Gilley piece (actually 2 someones) -- it's one of my favorites and I find it very helpful for new adopters. You seem to be doing splendidly, and Chase is beautiful Merrry Christmas.

You know, it amazes me how some dogs personalities are traceable. Our Chase (Chase Biscuit) has a great personality. His disposition is fantastic. He is good with our girls, sleeps a lot, follows us around enough but then spends most of his time sleeping, likes coming up for pets. He is always up for playing (energy level permitting) and grabs his stuffed animal and throws it in the air and pounces on it. He even catches it in mid-air sometimes. He pounces on his toy like he is a mischievous cat. Wham! "I got you," and then he tosses it in the air again. This lasts for maybe 4-5 minutes and then he is satisfied. Sometimes in the morning or when we all arrive home at the same time he barks his friendly bark. I thought greys didn't bark, (and they generally seem not to) but he can have a loud bark. Definitely a happy bark. He has "roored" once. Hopefully, I'll hear more. We brought him to a greyhound playgroup once and he ran with the other dogs and was a really good sport. Can't say that about one of the other (huge) greys there who seemed to be a bully. He just seemed like the great athlete who others liked to be around because he was a genuine guy, not for any other reason. We brought him to our town Chrismas tree lighting with about two+ thousand there. He did great and we met another greyhound family.

I have never had a grey before but I did have a mini schnauzer as a child. He was a good dog who lived to the ripe age of 13 (most of my dog behavior recognition comes from him -13 years is a long time to observe dog behavior and catch the common themes). Anyways, Chase is a good boy. I wish we had a bigger yard to let him run in (and ours is pretty big). Man he can fly! Glad to know that others experience the good disposition and personality in his lineage. We wanted a younger dog but we are really glad we got an over-five-year old. He is mellow and active. I hope he is around a long time.

Bikeman

Edited by Bikeman

Totall off the subject, but since you mentioned paleo, I thought I would let you know that there is a primal/paleo group here on Greytalk. We've been going for a couple years now. The thread is slow right now, but we're always happy to have new posts on the thread. Come join us! :colgate

Jenn, missing Shadow (Wickford Big Tom), Pretty Girl (C's Pretty) and Tori (Santoria)

Guest Bikeman

Bikeman here. I have some time off of work so I able to laze around and follow the threads. Update: my youngest is doing fine. She likes Chase now (as I suspected). The incident yesterday clearly scared her (as it should have). Sometimes us parents are not able to drive some points home so an experience like this one can be beneficial in believing/trusting mom and dad, and taking principles from the theoretical to the real. Chase is a good boy and making great strides in learning the ropes. For example, this morning got up uber-early to workout -to early for Chase's morning turnout. He didn't get up, and start barking or whine to go out. He just looked at me and went back to sleep. Very intuitive response it seemed. I thought, "cool, that's the kind of reaction I like, especially since I'm in a hurry to get to the pool." And man, that dog can smell dinner a mile away. When my wife is cooking he trots half a flight up the stairs into the kitchen and investigates every inch of real estate with his nose. I had assumed as a sight hound he would rely less on his nose. Boy was I wrong. He is a sniffer. He is also a follower. He follows us everywhere. He just wants to be around us and get a pat on the head. Moreover, he has really caused me to think about how I raise/discipline/interact with my children. I am humbled by some of my self-reflection when contrasting my interactions with him and my kids. I am learning some important lessons on consistency, positive reinforcement, and thoughtful responses to actions from Chase. Will need to integrate them more into my interactions with my kids. However, having Chase has taken the load of me to teach my kids everything (I never saw that coming when we adopted him). Dogs are creatures and act as they act. Both daughters, as well as mom and dad, are forced to recognize action and reaction, behavior and consequence. I am glad Chase can help.

My wife and I had a talk with the girls today. No petting unless he is standing up. Since greys sleep so much, if they are standing (generally and at the appropriate times) they are ready to interact. Also, no walking right up to his bed (although he doesn't seem to mind that). Mom and dad will take things away from him if need be. No draping yourself over the dog. There is definitely some self-discipline involved.

Bikeman

I just wanted to add, I think you are definitely on the right track. You've asked the right questions, done the right things and talked with your daughters, all excellent. You will find that Chase will likely be more and more 'gentle'/relaxed as time goes on. Our Charlie used to growl at us when we first adopted him and tried to take something away from him but now he is a softy and has no issues with us taking something from him. It did take him months to get to this point though so it's not overnight but based on your description of how Chase is now, I am very confident that he will be even more easy going in time. As someone else wrote, it's very possible another incident could happen in the future as kids will be kids and dogs will be dogs. I would just remind your daughters of the 'rules' you have discussed with them regularly as I know if I was there age, I would forget and get into trouble quickly. Good luck and I hope you have many good years with Chase.

I read your post again tonight. Slowly. Thanks for the insight. I am sure he will relax. The whole family was in our kitchen tonight eating take-out Indian. Chase was in there nosing around. I thought, "this is neat, a good dog to add to our quality of life." I like those moments of ... confidence, hope, and satisfaction.

Bikeman

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Bikeman,

forget what you think you know about dog behavior. You are comparing a dog that was raised in a human household as a surrogate human (your childhood dog) with a dog that was raised separate from humans in a pack environment. Totally different behavior patters as well as reactions and interactions with other breeds as well as humans.

Take for example two dogs meeting. We as humans make eye contact, extend our hands with a direct strait-on approach. This is what we find appropriate. So therefore what do we teach our dogs, same thing, go sniff their nose and say "hi". The "natural" way that dogs meet in the real world is a large sweeping arc around each other so that they can meet nose-to-rump. If you see greyhounds meet, they will ALWAYS try to go to the other's rump to sniff. In the dog world, direct face to face meeting is a sign of high aggression. But we as humans have totally messed up dogs, so when a dog comes running up to your dog's face, and your dog growls at said offender, your dog has just reacted NORMALLY to a perceived threat. The other human will say "but he just wants to say hi", or "wow your dog is mean". Most people are so totally ignorant of animal behavior because of the attempt to make dogs human.

Be aware of this when you are out and about with your greyhound, most other dogs have no idea how to communicate in true "dog" language.

Chad

Guest happygrey

Your logic about CrossFit is .... well logical. HOWEVER, you will never get the baseline up "there." No one ever does. Sooooo, I would encourage you to jump in and just do it. CrossFit is scalable, meaning you are expected to do what you can. I see newbies all the time and it shifting back/adjusting the workouts, but still having you in the group workout WORK! You need to be around others. Its like marriage or parenthood, your never totally ready. Learning along the way is the norm. Learning when it is the real deal tends to be the valuable kind. Seriously, I am not discounting your sisters experience, but she trains and competes in long distance type movements so it is totally understandable that she was beat up by it. We all are, every workout. Today, I couldn't finish the workout. It literally killed me. I am sore. Yesterday, I had a good day, stinkin' flew (we ALL excel at certain types of exercise and yesterday was mine) and got second in the class, which was a first for me. Try out as many CrossFit clubs in your area (that you would consider within your driving distance) as you can. Each club has a different flavor. Some are hardcore with tattoo's and hardcore music (not my absolute favorite), some are smaller, some have lots of equipment, etc., etc. But, please don't put it off until you feel more qualified, we never get there. You can do this!! Go for six months consistently. A big part of the CrossFit scene is the Paleo Diet. I really like it. Different philosophy's under the paleo (ithic) diet. Research it and give it a try. You'll be amazed at the results in many ways.

Hope I didn't sound so preachy. Just my experiences. I think you'll feel humbled and absolutely encouraged and empowered at the same time.

Bikeman

Thanks for the encouragement! I will give it another look. Maybe I can get my sister to try again with me. :) That might help with the intimidation factor. :lol

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Hey there. I know you got great advice already and things are better now. I'm so happy. It's hard with kids and dogs and even harder with greyhounds but only because of where they came from. I have 2 dogs and 3 kids. A 5 year old and 2 year old twins. It takes time and patience from everyone involved.

I'm so happy your little one doesn't want to return Chase anymore. Kids are resilient. If my 5 yeard old had his way, he'd return both our greyhounds and his twin brother AND sister!!!! It really just helps, sometimes, to put yourself in Chase's shoes. Think of where he's been and what he's come from. It's a real eye opener.