My Greyhound Story, Continued

Guest greytnana

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just wanted to say that reading your post made me smile, especially the part about feeling your grey's nose nudge you. We've been wanting one for about 2 yrs., but we have a 20 year old cat that I feel is too old to handle the stress of sharing her home, so for now we will wait until the time is right. But I am so looking forward to having a needlenose nudge me. Congratulations!

Image removed, not within Signature Guidelines.
Forever Home on December 20, 2012
Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.
My Etsy Shop

oh so sorry to hear this news, was following your posts and then got to the last one......... hopefully a miracle will occur for you and Sid.

I had a similar situation in 2007 when i adopted the sweetest little sheltie/x who had ended up in a shelter down south twice. They brought her up here and i adopted her, only to have her die im my arms a year later of a rare auto immune disease. Its hard sometimes to fathom why things like this happen but I have to believe that God sent her to me so she would know unconditional love before the end of her journey here on earth and now she is in His arms and one day I wil hold her again - for all Eternity. brit

My heart is breaking again. My Sid has lung cancer. He was not himself for a little over a week, so I took him to the vets today. I had taken the boys for a walk and Sid had an episode of watery diaharria. Very dark. The vet did not feel optimistic as he is a young dog. Pale gums, platelets very low, especially for a greyhound who are great blood donors. X-ray showed spots on the lungs. Which usually means it has matasicised. As my husband is out of town we are trying, via telephone, to decide how to handle the situation. Almost had Sid for a whole year. Keep trying to remind myself that I have him the best almost year of his life. My heart, however, is not listening. Tears are falling like raindrops. And Tigger is upset because he knows something is wrong. I don't think this is going to be a very enjoyable Christmas.

Edited by brit1

Guest greytnana

Thank you everyone for your kind comments. I went down to the hospital to see Sid today with my daughter and her boyfriend. Although I do understand that his time is very short, I decided to bring him home with me. Even if just for a day. I looked into his eyes and I just did not see that "look". The one where you know it is time. The one where you know that this is their decision and their wish. When I adopted him, I promised him I would always be there for him, that he would never be alone, that he would never again live in a cage. My wee little man. He is sleeping in his favourite place in front of the fireplace right now, having taken his meds and eaten a little chicken and rice that I made for him. He came upstairs to cuddle and sleep on his favourite leather sofa in the tv room earlier. And after some liver snacks he perked up a whole lot.

I know that I am being selfish. My love affair with this little man has been intense. Maybe he was sent to me to help me heal from losing my previous greys. Maybe he was sent to me so that he could live the rest of his short life with our unconditional love (thank you Brit1). The two go hand in hand. I will always love him. He has a very special place in my heart.

Poor Tigger. He is such a goofy guy to begin with. The boyfriend told me that he cried the whole time I had Sid out this evening. Sid has been his leader, his touchstone, his anchor. Sid would cuddle with him, and put his head on Tiggers butt. Best friends. That is what they have been. I am certain that he knows that his friend is leaving him. It makes him anxious. He has not had the nicest life either. Sid knows he is leaving me in Tiggers very capable paws. Tigger is just nervous of the shoes he has to fill. All will fall into place, as it should. It is just that, for me, the pain is very intense right now. My boys. We have had such a time together, the three of us.

I am very sad. And trying very hard to do the right thing.

Oh no! I'm so very sorry to see this. :grouphug

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Your story has really touched me..

I don't know if this will help..but is is about Love..

My only child, a son, died in Afghanistan May 3rd 2010.

He was just shy of 20 yrs. old.

An awesome young man, he had my best ever Love..

The pain I felt at his death was utterly shattering~

Being a life long animal lover and care taker, I'd gone through the

life and death cycle of many beloved pets.

Dogs, cats and horses..

Some from accidents, some from disease, some from old age.

However they left my side, it always hurt horribly..after one..I swore

I'd never give my love like that again.

Loving that Border Collie like a child..I cried for days..even quit my job.

So I said to myself, "If loving costs that much..I just won't love that way again".

And I didn't for some time..

After my son died, I was in extreme, life altering pain.

So deep I could not find a way to "live" in it.

But it had my son's name on it..so how could I abandon it, without abandoning him ?

How could I shut down to, or shut off, the conduit of misery I felt..

..it was part of "our" story now..

And that's when I grasped..that the intense pain of loss.."is" Love.

Love asks us to "evolve"..to alter our life..

We change to take care of our child, our new greyhound, we love, they love..

Then something happens..

And our physical link is broken..

In it's place we are offered, if we choose to take the gift..all of what Love is.

Every time my eyes fill up..every time my heart aches..every time I miss my son..

it's Love calling..

Forever and always.."it is" Love that does not pass away~

You offered your home and heart to Sid, and he answered ~

Love him thoroughly, as you always have..

Your tears and aching heart are a testament to the love between you~

You will never forget.

Neither will he...

Edited by SeeJoy

I am so very sorry to read of Sid's diagnosis. Hold him and love him as long as you can.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

SeeJoy, I left you a post on your page (I think. I am not sure I maneuver around this site well.). I found your post very comforting. Thank you.

I don't yet have permission on this site to send or receive private messages..

Try this:

see_joy29@hotmail.com

Guest Scouts_mom

I am so sorry for Sid's diagnosis and your pain. I feel that I have known him through your posts. As others have said, it is good that he has known unconditional love and got to enjoy the world.

I would urge you to look into having a vet come to your home to let him go when it is time. I did this when my Mindy left--she was sleeping in her bed in the sun when she left us. My other grey sniffed her and seemed to understand what had happened. He was lonely afterwards, but was not looking for her everywhere. Tigger will likely also understand what is happening if he is there when SId leaves.

I am so sorry. Sid lit up the room when he walked in. Such a happy, beautiful boy - inside and out. He has a piece of my heart as well . . . .

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

• 2 weeks later...
Guest greytnana

We said goodbye to Sid just two days before our first year anniversary with him. I still cry over losing my Gee, so this has been very, very difficult for me. The strong arms of grief and despair have wrapped themselves securely around me.

He was so very happy when dad came home. He spent the evening with me on his favourite sofa, but he could not jump up on our bed at bedtime. I had to lift him up. He cuddled with me all night. He would not eat in the morning and he vomited his meds. There was no denying that he was telling us it was time.

It is never easy, saying that final goodbye. I lay with him on the floor. He raised his head and nudged me with his nose, giving me the most loving look. Undoubtedly saying how much he loved me and how much he loved his short time with us. A nudge and a look I will never forget. A nudge and a look I will always treasure.

We stayed with him for a while, after he had gone. He was the best of the best. Calm, loving, even tempered. A good disposition. A constant companion. A great conversationalist. An excellent listener. His beautiful, kind eyes spoke in volumes to me every day that we spent together. I miss him terribly.

I am so sorry for your loss..

Greatly loved, and giving honest love in return..you, your family and Sid are, and were, deeply Blessed~

Keeping you in my thoughts..

:grouphug I am so, very sorry. I would like to say more but right now my heart is breaking for you.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

My heart is breaking along with yours. :grouphug

Godspeed sweet Sid, you were so well loved.

Deb, and da Croo
In my heart always, my Bridge Angels - Macavity, Tila the wannabe, Dexter, CDN Cold Snap (Candy), PC Herode Boy, WZ Moody, Poco Zinny, EM's Scully, Lonsome Billy, Lucas, Hurry Hannah, Daisy (Apache Blitz), Sadie (Kickapoo Kara), USS Maxi, Sam's Attaboy, Crystal Souza, Gifted Suzy, Zena, and Jetlag who never made it home.

http://www.northernskygreyhounds.com

I'm so sorry for you and your family.

How lovely that you were able to give him a year of happiness, love and comfort though. And he left knowing how special and loved he was.

x

I'm so sorry for your loss

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross