Rabies Vaccine Vs. Rabies Titers?

Guest Energy11

Guest Energy11

Hello all!

I am posting this to get your opinions and ideas, and maybe experiences, regarding vaccinating senior hounds (9+) for Rabies. I have heard some horror stories, some on this board.

My five, ranging in age from 9.5-11.5, are all due for their three year Rabies vaccine in March of 2012. I am very very reluctant to do this, as I have heard about some bad vaccination reactions. Staggerlee was at my vets today (he was diagnosed with Ehrlichia), but should be fine. Anyway, I asked my vet, and she said Georgia accepts titers in lieu of the vaccine. The cost is $168 per titer, and would not be covered by my pet insurance.

Any ideas, information or opinions about the vaccine, or personal experiences would be appreciated. I look forward to your input!

Dee and The Five

Have your dogs had problems in the past with vaccines?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Guest Energy11

Have your dogs had problems in the past with vaccines?

Since they turned six, I haven't vaccinated for anything BUT Rabies. They have never had a problem with any vaccines, including the Rabies.

Dee, the only one of mine who didn't get her shots this year was Gee and she was 12 1/2 at the time. Bebe got hers with no problems at 11 1/2 and Arrow, Saint and Valentino got theirs at 10 1/2.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Dee, while the state of Georgia accepts titers, some boarding places will not. If you have a regular boarding facility you like to use, be sure they'll accept titers. (PetSmart will not accept titers in lieu of shots. I don't figure you need grooming services at PetSmart, but if you ever need to use their day care or pet hotel...)

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Guest Energy11

Dee, while the state of Georgia accepts titers, some boarding places will not. If you have a regular boarding facility you like to use, be sure they'll accept titers. (PetSmart will not accept titers in lieu of shots. I don't figure you need grooming services at PetSmart, but if you ever need to use their day care or pet hotel...)

Good point about the boarding facilities. WE don't ever leave the dogs. If they can't go, we don't. If something comes up, I have a pet sitter that comes here. BUT, it is a good point to post, so others that use vets or boarding facilities can check to see if titers are accepted. Thanks!

Dee, the only one of mine who didn't get her shots this year was Gee and she was 12 1/2 at the time. Bebe got hers with no problems at 11 1/2 and Arrow, Saint and Valentino got theirs at 10 1/2.

That is good to know, Judy! Thanks! I am weighing all the options, as I have time.

Dee - you may remember our Bumper has an autoimmune condition and is not a candidate for any type of vaccine. As a result, we stopped all vaccinations in our house. We don't board the boys nor have Petsmart clip their nails so I don't see the need (other than by-law, which isn't enough to get me to vaccinate). Others may disagree, but I am not a fan of it....we steer clear of the human flu vaccine as well...no thanks.

Doe's Bruciebaby Doe's Bumper

Derek

Follow my Ironman journeys and life with dogs, cats and busy kids: A long road

Guest Energy11

Dee - you may remember our Bumper has an autoimmune condition and is not a candidate for any type of vaccine. As a result, we stopped all vaccinations in our house. We don't board the boys nor have Petsmart clip their nails so I don't see the need (other than by-law, which isn't enough to get me to vaccinate). Others may disagree, but I am not a fan of it....we steer clear of the human flu vaccine as well...no thanks.

Yes, I remember now about Bumper! THAT is the one incident that stuck in my mind. We don't take the dogs anywhere, either. I used to go to Mt. Hounds, but it is just too HOT to travel with senior dogs that time of year. I am leaning toward the titers. Thanks for the input.

Guest Energy11

I would love to know the info, like specific law, on Georgia accepting titers. So far I have found nothing to support that. Very much hope it is true but wish I could find the laws backing that up.

I couldn't find anything online either, so that is why I asked my vet. She has been practicing in GA for about 30 years. I am sure her office would be happy to give you any specifics on the law, too. http://www.cohuttaanimalclinic.com/

Good Luck!

how high are rabies incidents in your state?

do you license your dogs?

do you board your dogs?

do the go out to meet and greets?

how much do they mix w/ other dogs in public?

what's the feral animal popultion in your area?

think about the answers to all of those and discuss it w/ your vet. your vet knows best and titers, especially for the challenged immune system might be the answer. once you know the titers then you won't worry.

my scottie who was challenged w/ addison's disease never had any problems w/ his rabies vaccine.

my healthy welsh terrier(never sick a day in his life) went into shock, age 10, after a rabies vaccine.

it's the luck of the draw, i still vaccinate since westchester county has a very very high rate of incidents.(in my suburban neighborhood there are tons of skunks and raccoons).

Kansas State's current charge for a rabies titer is $45 (KSU Rabies Titers). The blood draw, spin, and shipping will cost something, but > $100 seems a bit steep.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Energy11

Dee, I have four seniors and I am not comfortable doing the rabies vaccine. Our State does accept the titer as proof but we do not board our dogs or take them to the groomer. We will take our chances at this end and not do the rabie vaccine.

I am totally thinking along those lines,too. Ours don't go anywhere anymore, including Greyhound events, etc., so, I think I will opt NOT to vaccinate, and probably not spend the $168 on the titers.

I appreciate all the input!

Kansas State's current charge for a rabies titer is $45 (KSU Rabies Titers). The blood draw, spin, and shipping will cost something, but > $100 seems a bit steep.

Yep, $168 sounded steep to me as well but this vet is very reasonable with everything else, so who knows. Because I don't board, or take mine anywhere, but here on the mountain, I may opt to not vaccinate or do titers. I am very interested in everyone's opinion.

Dee, skip the titers.

There's an online PDF for the State of Georgia.

Page numbered 4 (page 6 in the PDF) says this:

Georgia law (Rabies Control Law-O.C.G.A-31-19) requires that all owned dogs and cats be vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian using approved vaccines in accordance with the national Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control (see pages 51-62).

Page 37 says:

In animals, neutralizing antibody titers have been shown to be imperfect markers of protection. Antibody titers will vary with time since the last vaccination. Titers do not directly correlate with protection because other immunologic factors also play a role in preventing rabies and our abilities to measure and interpret those other factors are not well developed. Therefore, evidence of circulating rabies virus antibodies should not be used as a substitute for current vaccination in managing rabies exposures or determining the need for booster vaccinations in animals.

There are at least three places in this PDF that specifically state titers are not an acceptable substitute for rabies vaccinations in Georgia.

So--vaccinate or not, but I don't think spending money on titers the authorities won't accept is going to be very useful.

(Why, when I go off and research a topic and compose a nice, long reply, does Greytalk's server take a vacation when I try to post my reply?)

darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

I would vaccinate. Rabies is a fatal disease for you and your hounds. If you lived in a high rise in Manhattan than it might be different. Speaking from someone who had contact with a rabid raccoon and endured the series of shots i can tell you it wasn't fun. Rabies is on the rise and it's nothing to fool wiith. If your worried about a potential reaction to the vaccine - however rare-- pre med with benadryl.

Guest BrianRke

I always continue with the Rabies vaccine throughout their life. I do however, stop the other vaccines around the age of 10, with the exception of Diamond(6). She became EXTREMELY ill after her last DHLPP vaccine and I dont think Im going to put her through that again.

If your worried about a potential reaction to the vaccine - however rare-- pre med with benadryl.

The other precaution is to stay at your vet's for 30 minutes or so after the vaccination. If anyone's going to have an anaphylactic reaction, you won't be trying to race back to the vet.

If your worried about a potential reaction to the vaccine - however rare-- pre med with benadryl.

The other precaution is to stay at your vet's for 30 minutes or so after the vaccination. If anyone's going to have an anaphylactic reaction, you won't be trying to race back to the vet.

So true-- the anaphylactic reactions happen immediately.

:nod My weimaraner had a horrible reaction to vaccines and two of my friend's dogs (one greyhound and one non-greyhound) did within a few months of one another. My vet agrees that annual vaccinations of adult dogs are an assault on their immune systems - especially seniors whose immune systems are less efficient anyway.

I was horribly ill for weeks after the last vaccination I took. I now know I have an autoimmune disorder (Celiac's Disease), so it's not worth the risk to me. I no longer take vaccinations of any kind.

Edited by galgrey

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Guest Energy11

Dee, skip the titers.

There's an online PDF for the State of Georgia.

Page numbered 4 (page 6 in the PDF) says this:

Georgia law (Rabies Control Law-O.C.G.A-31-19) requires that all owned dogs and cats be vaccinated against rabies by a licensed veterinarian using approved vaccines in accordance with the national Compendium of Animal Rabies Prevention and Control (see pages 51-62).

Page 37 says:

In animals, neutralizing antibody titers have been shown to be imperfect markers of protection. Antibody titers will vary with time since the last vaccination. Titers do not directly correlate with protection because other immunologic factors also play a role in preventing rabies and our abilities to measure and interpret those other factors are not well developed. Therefore, evidence of circulating rabies virus antibodies should not be used as a substitute for current vaccination in managing rabies exposures or determining the need for booster vaccinations in animals.

There are at least three places in this PDF that specifically state titers are not an acceptable substitute for rabies vaccinations in Georgia.

So--vaccinate or not, but I don't think spending money on titers the authorities won't accept is going to be very useful.

(Why, when I go off and research a topic and compose a nice, long reply, does Greytalk's server take a vacation when I try to post my reply?)

Thanks for researching this for me!! I have to talk to my vet today about Staggerlee's bloodwork, and I will bring all of this up, and email it to her as well.

My two cents - I wouldn't pay that much money for titers. A positive titer indicates an immune response, but a negative titer does not necessarily mean your dog is not protected so you could in theory pay all of that money and then still need to vaccinate to assuage the law. Good information hereabout vaccinations, the first article, "Titers: What do they tell us" should be particularly useful.

The general presumption for those of us who choose not to follow vaccine protocols after a certain point is that the dog does not require revaccination every year or every 3 years in order to be protected, but rather that as with human vaccines the initial series provides protection for life (not talking about things like the flu vaccine here in case that isn't obvious). Unless you titered in the appropriate timeframe shortly after administering the puppy series, there's no way to confirm this so you need to decide whether you feel confident the booster isn't needed.

I personally stopped doing anything but rabies once Neyla reached a certain age (around 9 or 10), and did the rabies only because it is required by law. If she had been due for rabies after she was diagnosed with cancer, I would have asked my vet to write a letter excusing us from getting the vaccine at that point, but in her case she wasn't due.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."