Received A Warning For Noise

Guest karilynn

You haven't mentioned that you actually did "alone training" with Bruce. This is a must for you at this point. There are a lot of books with this technique, or you can search the forum here.

Personally contact the neighbors who complained. Leave a letter in their box or taped to their door if you have to. Explain that you have a new dog who is having some issues adapting to apartment life, but that you are working on it. Also say you'd be happy to have their help and introduce them to Bruce - ask them to stop by.

Dogs can still do Kongs with a muzzle on. It takes them longer and they have to work harder, so that's a good thing. I also second Susan's suggestion to give him lots more exercise before you leave. A good long walk to tire him out or run up and down the stairs a few times or both! A tired dog is a happy dog! If you have time, take him for another long walk when you come home on your mid-shift break.

Get a DAP diffuser and see if it helps. It works for some and doesn't for others.

Good luck!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How did the rest of the day go? You've gotten some great advice from others....Just popping in to wish you the best on this!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Just adding my support and hugs. :grouphug I really can't add to what has already been suggested, other than to tell you I'm thinking of you and praying you can speak with the neighbors while you're working out a solution that is best for Bruce. :hope:hope

Guest karilynn

Thanks everyone. Really great advice here. I will reach out to my neighbors and I'll see how tonight goes with the video. I've got music on for him. It's an album I downloaded for iTunes called Calming Music for Pets. The video I record will have lovely background music... hehe and hopefully it wont have him crying. My friend goes, "What if you see a ghost in the video?" So now am I not only afraid of my dog crying, but I'm worried about a ghost, too. :lol:rolleyes:

If that music doesn't work, try Country and Western or Rock, that's what most racing kennels play. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Our adoption kennel always has the TV on ... it is on a platform suspended from the ceiling. Usually tuned to the Home & Garden network. I know, I know ... not Animal Planet??? :eek

Guest karilynn

OK, well. I'm back from work. The elevator doors opened and I could hear him crying from my apartment... not good. I came in and he was crying. I got him out of the crate and watched the video. I recorded 4 hours of it and I am pleased to say that for the most part, he was quiet and slept. Several times, he cried VERY loud and I noticed that it was mostly during the song with the beach waves that isn't very loud. I think music is the true key here. I will be playing some variation of rock and roll or country western tomorrow to see what happens. I was also horrified to see MYSELF on the video... good lord. But that's a whole different can of worms. lol

I will also say that watching my cat when I'm not here is quite hilarious. At one point she sat and stared at the wall for the longest time ever! LOL

Edited by karilynn

Guest karilynn

Noticed something else... he cries when my cat walks by his crate.

Ok, nope, he cries the entire last hour pretty much no matter what song is on. Yikes :(

Edited by karilynn

That's awful. I'm assuming it's an apartment building. Thus said, you would be surprised how much sound travels, especially via concrete beams and floors. Someone obviously pin-pointed the source of the noise, but it likely could have been heard 3 floors up and 2 suites over, similarly right next door. You will never find out who it was that complained, and the landlord won't tell you due to confidentiality. You might be blaming your next door neighbour but it could have been someone down the hall or across the way, etc. If it's not an apartment building, you might have better luck trying to chat up the neighbours. Clearly someone is home when you are not. To tell you the truth, if they aren't dog people, no amount of talking to them will make a difference. If he is constantly carrying on, it is a nuisance.

Can you put up cameras to watch what he does? I also recommend uncrating, it might make him feel more at home. I would also guess more alone training might be necessary for his adjustment period. He's so brand new, this just sucks. I've never been in that situation of a crying greyhound - at least I don't think they do, no one ever said anything to me. What about getting someone to come in mid day to hang with him? I dunno, just throwing ideas out there. Obviously you've tried kongs, etc.

Editing: I just read some of the other posts. Looks like some type of music is a trigger - did you do the music thing before, what about talk radio? Perhaps the cat is taunting him as you noticed a little when it walked by the crate....

Also, you just got home around midnight - neighbours have every right to complain about that kind of noise at that hour. Everything else is generally very still and quiet and his crying will be heightened.

Edited by XTRAWLD

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

As the others have been saying, the crate may be your problem. When I first got Henry, our adoption group talked up the crate ("They love their crate! It's a safe den for them!") Some greys don't like being crated. Henry NEVER did. He freaked out and cried incessantly when crated. When we finally stopped trying to crate him, he would still pee and poop outside the crate until we actually took it down. Another thing you mentioned- he cries whenever the cat walks by. That's fairly normal, because (although unintentionally), it's like the cat is taunting him. He's saying, "How come you are free, and I'm not?? I know you are skeptical to leave him out of the crate due to the accidents. I would make it a priority to do potty training with him. When he goes outside in his designated spot, praise him and give him a treat. Make sure he's on a schedule, and only bring him in once he's done his business. There is a really good book called "Housebreaking Your Dog in Seven Days." Even "Retired Racing Greyhounds for Dummies" has a good section on housetraining. From what you've said, it doesn't sound like Bruce is a nervous dog with huge amounts of separation anxiety (especially since he was quiet and slept for most of the day). Best of luck to you! Please keep us posted.

Edited: IMO, I wouldn't use puppy pads or newspaper on the floor when you're gone. Sends the message that it's okay to go in the house. You want Bruce to think of the whole apartment as his den. Maybe okay for smaller breeds or older dogs with limited bladder control, but I wouldn't recommend them. Greyhounds are really good at holding it if they're well trained.

Edited by a_daerr

to the Janet Marlowe Zen Dog CD I mentioned. :nappy

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Opera music, Charlotte Church...seriously! Try it. My Bella is out in minutes when I put it on. ;)

You could also try classical music - I walked into an adoption kennel when classical music was playing and I was amazed that all the dogs stayed quiet and how calm and relaxed everyone was.

Although i will say my dogs do well out of the crate, I had fosters that were (by the adoption groups rules) to be kept in the crate. One of the best pieces of advice I got on here was to put a blanket over the crate. I guess it makes them feel more secure. whatever the reason, it worked! :)

I agree with the blanket on the crate....it's more den like.

I also wanted to add, since you are coming home late at night, are you leaving any lights on for him or is the apartment completely dark?

Proudly owned by:

Ugh. Sorry you have to go through this right now. Bruce can and will be able to overcome his SA in time, unfortunately it's just one of those things that takes time and there aren't really a whole lot of shortcuts. It's a pity your neighbors can't be more understanding. I'm assuming there's no way you could make an accommodation to bring him to work with you temporarily while you work on his alone training?

ETA: This is a little out there, but in my own apartment I've noticed that sound seems to travel through the doorways or windows of other apartments rather than the walls. I found this cheap way to soundproof them (with tape!) Maybe that would help?

Edited by mariah

Guest ctgreylover

I have new age and classical music on a playlist on my computer and play that while I am not around. I have over 20 hours on that playlist. For some reason the tv that plays classical music sometimes stops playing. I dont like the radio because they may the emergency broadcast test buzz.

Keep asking your neighbors for patience and bring them yummy food. They might be interested in helping you to know whats working if you can get their daily feedback.

Guest karilynn

Thanks, guys. I met a few more neighbors today and none of them said they have heard a single thing. The woman across from me (Natalie - really nice!) has a dog too that barks, I can hear him from the hallway, and she said she got a noise warning too when she moved in and then never got another one. Lucky woman! She had a cute little wiener dog with long fur :wub: and Bruce looooved him. (Maybe he looked like a delicious snack!? :blink: )

Anyway, I will record video again today. I noticed that it seems after about 3 and a half hours of being alone, he starts to get whiny and sad.

I looked into some ex-pens, but I'm confused on how they work. They don't seem big enough to hold a greyhound? Do they have to be in the circle formation or can I spread them out across my kitchen? If I could figure out a way to gate him in my kitchen, I would do that. It's the furthest point from the hallway.

Well, better get ready for work. Water and sewer is shut off for 24 hours for some city project, so I have to wash my hair with the water I filled my bathtub up with last night. Joy. :headwall

This is so good that you're meeting neighbors and even one who has a dog. Nothing like company. Have you met anybody that you'd trust to visit Bruce after a few hours? It would be particularly good if you could find someone who always brings a treat that he gets from nobody else. It could be a bonding thing so he would look forward to her/his arrival.

Hang in there. It will get better!

No water? ACK!! :blink: My sympathy.

I wonder if he's anticipating you getting home which might be why he cries so late?

It looks like you are working really hard to rectify the problem, just like you worked hard through all your research to get him.

Proudly owned by:

I have an xpen you can borrow but I suspect he will just push it over to get out of it (if he doesn't want to stay in it.)

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest karilynn

Can you get baby gates that work to bar off your kitchen? They make some that stretch pretty far.

Well, my kitchen has an island in it and I was going to put gates on either side of the island to the wall, but it's 57 inches on each side and the longest gate I can find is 48 inches. :unsure

Guest Yankeegreyhound

Can you get baby gates that work to bar off your kitchen? They make some that stretch pretty far.

Well, my kitchen has an island in it and I was going to put gates on either side of the island to the wall, but it's 57 inches on each side and the longest gate I can find is 48 inches. :unsure

There is a gate that they sell extensions for. If you can't find it, I'll look for it for you. I know babies r us has it. It can go really long. I was going to get it for my living room.

ETA - found it...google "summer infant secure extra wide walk through gate" that may work

Edited by Yankeegreyhound