Is It Common For Their Dewclaws To Be Removed?

Guest Celestrina

It is more common in some breeds than others. They are removed if they are excessively loose and pose a risk for getting caught and injured. Greyhounds generally have dewclaws that are well attached and fairly high up. I haven't seen many with the dewclaws removed. Though, having said that, Summit does not have his dewclaws.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest KennelMom

More have them than don't. Depends on the farm/litter owner(s). As a pet owner, I prefer that they're removed for my own convenience, but when we raised the litter here we did not have them removed. Nature put them there for a reason, I suppose...Bindi has one that's growing BACK!

Edited by KennelMom

Guest Celestrina

I hadn't really thought about it until the groomer who does her nails commented how she dislikes trimming dewclaws. They can be tricky to work with and not all dogs like having them touched.

Loca's were removed. I wish Treasure's and Phene's were, also.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Depends on the breeder. Some remove them and some don't. Some believe there is a greater risk of injury when racing with them. If they choose to remove them, they are done at a very young age. Some of mine have their dew claws and some don't.

Edited by JillysFullHouse

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Guest greysmitten

I wonder why evolution hasn't trashed the dewclaw yet ...

Azi's dewies are pretty monstrous (thick and protruding) - I worry they'll get caught on things. It has even briefly crossed my mind to have them removed.

All four of the greyhounds I've had have had their dew claws removed. Well, Buddy had one, but it was weirdly shaped. The vet said they probably tried to remove it (since the other one was removed) but 'botched it up'.

I feel quite fortunate that we've not had dew claws! :lol:)

Edited by rascalsmom

Phoebe (Belle's Sweetpea) adopted 9/2/13.

Jack (BTR Captain Jack) 9/28/05--11/2/12
Always missing Buddy, Ruby, and Rascal.

All three of our hounds have their dew claws, but I really wish they didn't. This weekend, Diamond tore one of hers off - for the fourth time. :huh

She's managed it in all kinds of creative ways, including getting it caught going up the stairs and stepping down in a hole on a walk. Somehow, it always happens on a weekend/holiday/after hours, requiring an e-vet visit.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest KennelMom

I read a theory once that they actually have a function in balance/traction when turning and also to help immobilize prey as they "grab" it with their front legs. I can see both being plausible, but know of no actual data to back them up.

I know my dogs with dew claws perform much better at lure coursing when their legs aren't wrapped vs when they are. My non-dew claw having dogs don't seem to perform any differently wrapped vs unwrapped.

Lucas always chews his down into little tiny pointed daggers...especially creepy when he lays there chewing on them and looks up at you as if to say "that's right, don't mess with me" :lol

Prior to greys I was a poodle girl. Theirs are removed quite early. Scarlett and Morgaine both had theirs, thankfully, Aquitaine doesn't. Scarlett had one that grew in a circle and overnight managed to grow into her pad. I had to have the vet remove and cut it. Awful thing!

Guest mcsheltie

Actually evolution is working on it. The dew claws used to be on the ground and on all four feet. Now only a few in most breeds have rear dew claws. The breeds that do have a higher percentage with hind dew claws evolved in mountainous areas and they are lower down the leg.

I do my puppies right after they are born. I wish everyone would take them off. Especially when we get in dogs who I doubt ever had their nails clipped. Those can be a beast to do!

Of the 6 hounds I've had only two have had their dew claws removed and they were the only two of my gang that actually raced. I always assumed that was the connection but maybe not.

Of the 6 hounds I've had only two have had their dew claws removed and they were the only two of my gang that actually raced. I always assumed that was the connection but maybe not.

Of all our greyhounds, Darcy had the longest racing career. She has over 150 races listed on Greyhound Data and didn't retire until almost 5 y/o. She still has her dewclaws. She came from the Douglas farm in WV.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

8 greyhounds, 6 with dewclaws, 2 without.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Lila has hers and I wish she didn't. They stick out really far and I am just waiting for them to get caught on something. I call them her Doom Claws. :P

She does use them to hold stuff she is chewing on though.

Lila Football
Jerilyn, missing Lila (Good Looking), new Mistress to Wiki (PJ Wicked).

[Lucas always chews his down into little tiny pointed daggers...especially creepy when he lays there chewing on them and looks up at you as if to say "that's right, don't mess with me" :lol

/ Zeke-aroni has been doing this for about the past six months, new onset. It's so strange, why are he and Lucas doing that? /

Six hounds, all with dew claws.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.