Myka Ate The Sugar

Guest mbfilby

Guest mbfilby

Myka is such a handful. No matter how dilligent we are, she manages to prove she is much smarter then us almost every day. Today she managed to get at a hidden bowl of sugar and licked up about 1/4 cup.

Other than a sugar rush and bad for the teeth, is there any immediate health risks?

We've tried to muzzle her, and came home to a 1/2 eaten muzzle, and she does not do well in a crate.. Did I mention she is a handful?

Ugh!! Good luck. I haven't heard of sugar in that amount causing a major issue.....

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Are you sure her name isn't Tanzanite? :rolleyes:

I've gone thru $50 worth of muzzles, shoes, gloves, hats, xmas lights that I was actually putting up at the time and other items that I thought were out of Tanzi's range.

Where can I find a muzzle keeper? (babygates are out because they use a dog door.

Guest mbfilby

Keep an eye on her, but I don't think there should be a big issue.

Have you tried using a muzzle keeper? It's basically a plastic collar to keep the muzzle in place.

Have you tried baby gates?

There is no baby gate yet invented that can hold her. It took about 36 seconds for her to unlock and open our very expensive steel dog specific walk through. She has chewed through a wooden one, and can dislodge the plastic one.

She's a handful... :)

With that much sugar I'd be worried first about constipation and second about diarrhea. Just keep an eye on her, but she should be fine.

It was "regular" white granulated sugar, right? Not a sugar substitute? If it was a substitute, she needs to go to the vet asap.

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

Guest mbfilby

With that much sugar I'd be worried first about constipation and second about diarrhea. Just keep an eye on her, but she should be fine.

It was "regular" white granulated sugar, right? Not a sugar substitute? If it was a substitute, she needs to go to the vet asap.

It was just plain sugar from the sugar bowl..

oh ... we've had much worse in our house. the sugar can be a little disruptive to their system as it gets metabolized, so diarrhea is possible (neither of mine would have a problem with 1/4c, but mine prefer their sugar in the form of complete bags of nutter-butter cookies ... or in Riley's case, chocolate-covered cocoa beans). You would probably notice side-effects within 12-24 hours, if there are going to be any. And if you DO have a bit of diarrhea to deal with, don't be surprised if it takes 2-3 days to taper off (my little girlie's system can take up to 3 days to start recovering from a 'bad food choice').

I keep EVERYTHING that is food of any kind behind closed doors. Including sugar.

Try doubling the amount of exercise this young lady is getting. A tired dog is far less likely to be a "handful."

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Yep, sounds like she's a handful! :lol

Should see no real ill effects from the sugar.

I too would recommend lots of physical exercise, or, have you done any training with her, obedience-wise? Might do some good to enroll in a class and then you can do your "homework" at home. Mental stimulation will tire her out too.

Do you think she does these things out of anxiety, or just mischief?

Thankfully, mine can be contained by babygates, so the kitchen is gated off most of the time. Otherwise, Fritz steals things off of the counter (back when I ate bread, it was not safe from Fritz no matter where I put it), and Ace loves to raid the trash for things to shred. So, the gate has been great for us :nod

Beth (kamsmom) had some beautiful gates built and permanently installed at her house. Hers are wood and metal but I'm sure you could do just metal. No dislodging something that is attached permanently to a wall!

The one you said she figured out how to open-try putting a bungee cord around it too. Unless she has opposable thumbs, it should be pretty hard for her to mess with that.

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

The dog will be fine.

Before I learned how to fully deal with my dog's amazing ability to get to and eat anything that wasn't locked up beyond belief - my 2 greys injested a 5 LB. bag of sugar. Yes, the entire bag.

I came home to about 20 piles of liquid Big-D throughout the livingroom. Perhaps the worst dog day ever. I took a day off work to rip up the carpeting. We now have laminate flooring.

But - the dogs were FINE. No ill effecrs.

I'm NOT trying to trivialize your question. It's a good question. And it's ALWAYS right to ask. Just relaying a story. :)