Inhaling Kibble To Point Of Choking

Guest driser

What are some options for SLOWING down the inhale of kibble?! Our guy inhales so fast he throws some of it up every time. This morning he nearly choked himself unconscious.

We tried the Indipets bowl with a nob in the middle, but his snout is so narrow he can inhale around the outer loop. Has anyone tried the Brake Fast bowls? Anyone have an immediate solution?

Do you add some water to the food? That can help. Could also try feeding him on a cookie sheet (kibbles all spread out).

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

When we adopted our girl, they recommended using the cookie sheet idea as the food spreads out which worked. We now use the JW Petskid stop slow feed bowl ( Google slow feed bowl or look on Amazon) and we have never had the problem again. We do also use some yogurt, pumpkin on the food as well.

Edited by nessa

ho5U2p6.jpg?1

I pour water on the kibble, then drain the water so all that's left is moist kibble. He still inhales it, but it's now lubed for safety. :lol

I've seen several posters here comment about how helpful the break fast bowl has been for their greys. I like the cookie sheet idea - I may have to try that one!

gallery_15455_2907_595.jpg

Christie and Bootsy (Turt McGurt and Gil too)
Loving and missing Argos & Likky, forever and ever.
~Old age means realizing you will never own all the dogs you wanted to. ~

Soak the kibble in water and put a racketball or two in the bowl. Both of mine were kibble inhalers, too (they are now raw inhalers, but that's not so bad). Or, buy a Slow Down food bowl:

slowdown-lg.jpg

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Cookie sheet is a good idea, but with three dogs and a small kitchen my whole kitchen would be wall to wall cookie sheets. I found my compromise by buying 9" cake pans. It allows the kibble to spread out and slows them down. I put a bit of water on the kibble before giving it to them.

Soak the kibble in water and put a racketball or two in the bowl. Both of mine were kibble inhalers, too (they are now raw inhalers, but that's not so bad). Or, buy a Slow Down food bowl:

slowdown-lg.jpg

I just bought these online and they arrived on Friday.

If you do get one, order a large or jumbo.

Amazon's product info states that a medium holds 3 3/4 cups, nope just barely 2 cups.

Going to return it and get the large.

Another thing, I feed my 3 each in a different room. That slowed them down alittle since they weren't hurry to get into each other bowls.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest IHeartDogs

Instead of a cookie sheet I use a muffin pan, works just like the slow down bowls but much cheaper and you probably already have some on hand.

Guest KennelMom

A muffin pan, cookie sheet, bunt pan...anything with an abnormal shape. Also adding water will at least lube up the kibble so it goes down a bit easier.

This might slow it down too much, but you could try the purple bottle with the rope treat dispenser. Depending on the size of the kibble they only get a few at a time. You could even remove the rope to speed it up a little. ;)

images.jpg

I added water this morning and Gary threw up all of his food???

Did you add warm water and let it soak in until the water was absorbed? I don't have any answers, perhaps he may have thrown up without the water because of an upset stomach this morning. Sometimes greys will throw up if they eat too fast. Did he inhale it (meaning did he gobble it down extremely fast)?

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

I use the Brake Fast bowl. Sagan REALLY needs it (and I also add water to his food, because he INHALES his food :rolleyes:), Merlin doesn't really anymore, he's slow and picky with his food these days.

large.sig-2024.jpg.80c0d3c049975de29abb0

Kerry with Lupin in beautiful coastal Maine. Missing Pippin, my best friend and sweet little heart-healer :brokenheart 2013-2023 :brokenheart 
Also missing the best wizard in the world, Merlin, and my sweet 80lb limpet, Sagan, every single day. 

Guest bigbrindlebunny

I picked up some hard rubber rings at PetSmart in the toy section. Too big for him to eat, they're enclosed so no food can get inside them, and dishwasher safe on the top rack. I throw 2 or three into his bowl when I feed him, on top of the pile, along with adding some water to the kibble. That way he has to keep moving around the rings to get at the food. Works great, it's cheap, and everything can go in the dishwasher. Edited to Add: Except for the dog. You may need to wipe his snout off with a wash cloth from time to time. :P

Edited by bigbrindlebunny

Guest Wasserbuffel
Edited to Add: Except for the dog. You may need to wipe his snout off with a wash cloth from time to time. :P

Greys aren't dishwaser safe? I want a refund!

Either one of the bowls pictured should help. My s-l-o-w-e-s-t eater was having a problem while we were adding a significant amount of pumpkin to her food (burping which brought up everything) until we tried the SkidStop bowl. She sure has a dirty "moosh", but it's better than a pile of food on the floor!

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead