Osteo Thread

Hurley was given Chemo #3 yesterday and has had no problems so far! I do have the Cerenia if he gets nauseous.

His wbc was at 3400 and the nurse (or technician?) said 2000 is their cutoff, with 2000-3000 being iffy. So, he was doing fine. The neutrophil count was unavailable at our appointment. She said Hurley is very good and stays in place while gettting his infusion...never giving them trouble. I find this slightly hard to believe but good for him if its true!!

I am so grateful to be at this stage and doing so well!! He had a tiny lump (mosquito bump sized) on his ribcage: very soft and squooshy. The doctor aspirated it anyway and it was just fatty cells. Hurley is now our last dog to have a fatty lump....Woodie and Petra both have them near their armpits and they are larger than Hurley's little one. Does anyone know if this is diet-related?

Good thoughts for Pinky, Gabe and Ace!!!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gabe is all set for Chemo #3 today. :thumbs-up

We're going to do every four weeks from now on, instead of every three, to allow his cell counts more recovery time.

I'm a bit nervous, because he's gone lame within days of both of his previous chemo sessions, but his oncologist insists it's just coincidence. I'll be keeping a close eye on him, and hopefully we'll be able to schedule him for a radiation treatment if we see it coming on.

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

Guest snakes

Hi everyone :)

I don't post often so i thought I would update on FedX. He went this afternoon to the vet to have his renal values checked for his next pamidronate treatment on Monday (i'm sure those values will be fine, they usually are). While we were there I had them take an xray of his leg to see the progression of his osteo. I wanted it really just to see where we are to base what treatment we will continue with.

Needless to say, the two vets and the techs were all amazed how well he is walking and the fact he is doing so well as we are now officially 1 YEAR post diagnosis!!

:bounce1:confetti

The xray did show progression of the cancer, that typical moth eaten appearance, up the leg bone (it is in his front left distal radius) which puts it more in the danger zone for a fracture, but interestingly it did show some bony growth at the end of the bone which we presume is due to the pamidronate.

I don't know what the future holds, we have both good and bad news, but overall every day we have is something to be thankful for these days!

:confetti Yay FedX!!!!

I need some opinions...Pinky's hair is growing back really well (actually its really filled in, it just needs the glossy shine back), EXCEPT for the area where her Fentanyl patch was after surgery. This isn't a great picture but you get the idea...

9548f340.jpg

There are a few really wiry hairs, but that's it. Do you think I should be concerned?

On Saturday she will be two months post amp :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Gabe is all set for Chemo #3 today. :thumbs-up

We're going to do every four weeks from now on, instead of every three, to allow his cell counts more recovery time.

I'm a bit nervous, because he's gone lame within days of both of his previous chemo sessions, but his oncologist insists it's just coincidence. I'll be keeping a close eye on him, and hopefully we'll be able to schedule him for a radiation treatment if we see it coming on.

How did Gabe do?

Hi everyone :)

I don't post often so i thought I would update on FedX. He went this afternoon to the vet to have his renal values checked for his next pamidronate treatment on Monday (i'm sure those values will be fine, they usually are). While we were there I had them take an xray of his leg to see the progression of his osteo. I wanted it really just to see where we are to base what treatment we will continue with.

Needless to say, the two vets and the techs were all amazed how well he is walking and the fact he is doing so well as we are now officially 1 YEAR post diagnosis!!

:bounce1:confetti

The xray did show progression of the cancer, that typical moth eaten appearance, up the leg bone (it is in his front left distal radius) which puts it more in the danger zone for a fracture, but interestingly it did show some bony growth at the end of the bone which we presume is due to the pamidronate.

I don't know what the future holds, we have both good and bad news, but overall every day we have is something to be thankful for these days!

That's amazing!!

:confetti Yay FedX!!!!

I need some opinions...Pinky's hair is growing back really well (actually its really filled in, it just needs the glossy shine back), EXCEPT for the area where her Fentanyl patch was after surgery. This isn't a great picture but you get the idea...

There are a few really wiry hairs, but that's it. Do you think I should be concerned?

On Saturday she will be two months post amp :)

She still has more hair than Berkeley. :lol I wouldn't worry about it too much.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

It's just so weird-not sure if there is something I should put on the area...she needs some of that men's spray paint hair :lol

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

How did Gabe do?

He seems tired/worn out, but Chemo days are always long days. Other than that, he's doing well so far. He's mad at me because I haven't fed him dinner yet (forgot we still needed to boil chicken for the kibble topper).

I'll echo the "Yay FedEx!" DH and I are rooting for him, and all of the hounds in this thread.

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

It's just so weird-not sure if there is something I should put on the area...she needs some of that men's spray paint hair :lol

When hair is shaved, the individual hairs are cut close to the skin, but the hair follicles still exist under the surface. I'm betting that the patch actually pulled out some hair follicles, in which case the hair may stay thinner there. I think eventually it will fill in--after all, we've all had dogs bandaged for one thing or another, and they didn't go bald under the adhesive--but it may take a while. It's also possible that the meds in the patch--or the chemical that makes the body absorb the meds through the skin (I can't remember the name)--it's possible that something in the chemistry is retarding new hair growth. Poor baby!

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

That is FANTASTIC news about FedX!!! :bounce1 Keep it up buddy!

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Pepper (my 9yo brood) came in from the yard today and I could have sworn she was walking funny. Just like Berkeley at the start - a slight 'hitch' in her walk. My husband didn't see it.

Fast forward to 10 minutes later, and Berkeley was bouncing around and pushed her (go figure!) and she screamed the GSOD.

CRAP!

I looked her over and I am pretty sure it's a toe - her inside front left toe appears swollen and when I manipulate it, she pulls away.

This would be my 294th broken/dislocated toe so I can handle that...but of course, I'm thinking I want x-rays anyway just to know what we're dealing with. Thankfully, she seemed comfortable enough that it can wait until we can get in to the regular vet tomorrow.

Oy.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Yay FedX!! You are proving thatother treatment plans work too!!

Pinky, I feel so bad for your bald spot!! Kisses and hugs in the hopes that it all gets better!

Gabe reminds me that Hurley is just a touch tired after his chemo too. But it sounds like Gabe's appetitie is right on track!! :colgate Has there been any sign of the lameness or is he still doing good?

Pepper, get better soon and have clear xrays, too!!

We just booked a 5 day trip to NYC at the end of Feb. Fingers crossed that Hurley stays well and good! The hounds will probably be staying at the house of our former president of GPA-WI. So, NO worries about them!! I wanted to find a sitter before booking and they, fortunately, had the availability.

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background

Whoo hoo FedEx!!! :pinkele

I sure hope everything turns out simple and minor for Pepper. I've been worried about Kyle's Shelby today, too.

Twiggy was supposed to have her last iv chemo today, but her counts were a little low so we've rebooked for next Friday.

Gives me another week to get a handle on which metronomic protocol to try to talk her oncologist into :lol

So, any great suggestions for metronomic protocols?

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Artemisinin for sure. I also think Jen (and probably others here) did curcumin too. Both are herbal.

Not sure how I feel yet about doing Palladia...these are things I really need to be thinking about too.

Maybe shoot an email to Dr. Marin?

Ace had her oral chemo Tuesday (for leukemia). Today she seems very tired. At least when she's at rest, anyway :lol She doesn't let much keep her from tearing around the yard! But, I've noticed tonight that when she got on the couch or now when we're in bed, she is ZONKED OUT. Poor peanut puppy.

Forgot to tell you guys that I picked up some baby carrots for Pinky too. She is still enjoying her hard boiled eggs, but MAN does she like carrots! I think she likes them even more than cookies! I'll have to try to get video of her, it's funny because she takes the tiny carrot from me and runs over to her bed to eat it. Then she FLIES back over to me, and repeat. :lol

My guys eat carrots like a bunny rabbit. With the front teefs. It's hilarious... but they usually give up at some point, and I'm left with carrot bits everywhere. :rolleyes:

Artemisinin for sure. I also think Jen (and probably others here) did curcumin too. Both are herbal.

Not sure how I feel yet about doing Palladia...these are things I really need to be thinking about too.

Maybe shoot an email to Dr. Marin?

I totally agree, but Twiggy's oncologist is very skeptical of using it in conjunction with other chemotherapy agents, b/c she says we don't know how they interact. She also seems very skeptical of OSU in general (she was the one who didn't trust the chemo they would send - apparently she thinks OSU doesn't know anything about chemo drugs). Any yes, I know that artemisinin has been used in at least 2 clinical trials for osteo metronomic protocols, but OSU has been involved in both of them, so that probably makes them sub-par in Twiggy's oncologist's eyes. I'll still probably try to talk her into it, or just do it on my own since I think it's non-prescription.

So, I am considering emailing Dr. Marin, but I'm not sure the onco will put any stock in what she recommends. Sigh.

Twiggy is more like Berkeley with carrots. She chews the big ones like a bone and leaves lovely little minced carrot bits all over. She's like a living food processor :P

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Twiggy is YOUR girl, YOU should get to make the choices for her. Don't let someone push you around. Do your own research, contact OSU. They will happily tell you their recommended protocols, and I bet they have a few different courses of treatment to consider (Palladia or not, an oral chemo or not, etc).

AFAIK, the use of artemisinin post-chemo is a pretty standard protocol if youre not doing additional oral chemo. If youre going to go with an oral chemo drug, artemisinin may be contraindicated, but if you're not doing oral chemo I'd do the artemisinin. I'm not sure how an oncologist can dismiss OSU when it is THE place for research on osteo in greyhounds. That just wouldn't sit well with me at all.

Guest tmgukcatfan

Oh, that is what that bald patch is on Thalion's rump! I wondered why they shaved a square back there. He's 5 weeks post amp and all his hair is soft and thin. I don't think he'll ever have all the same hair again. :unsure

Teresa

I second the above - she's YOUR girl and YOU decide on her treatment.

OSU metronomic protocol is artemisinin (from a company called Holley Pharmaceutials for the best price) in the morning. In the evening you alternate a compounded oral chemo pill with piroxicam (nsaid). I'm spacing on the name of he oral chemo (cytosin????), but it is a low maintenance dose. Piroxicam has been shown to have some additional effectivenenss against cancer versus other nsaids.

OSU does not recommend alternating on and off with the artemisinin. Dr Marin said there's no evidence that it's needed. It needs to be given on an empty stomach, along with something really high fat for maximum effectiveness. We did peanut butter, and that's pretty standard. Curcumin is a standard for holistic cancer treatment for people.

I also switched Dude onto a modified cancer diet, high in cruciform veggies and dark fruits, in addition to his no-carb kibble (Canidae). I bought prepared "broccoli slaw" from the store as it had most of the best stuff in it and I didn't have to cut it up! Just a handful on top of his kibble. Then threw on some berries (blue, rasp, black), and some cottage cheese. He loved it!

Chris - Mom to: Felicity (DeLand), and Andi (Braska Pandora)

52592535884_69debcd9b4.jpgsiggy by Chris Harper, on Flickr

Angels: Libby (Everlast), Dorie (Dog Gone Holly), Dude (TNJ VooDoo), Copper (Kid's Copper), Cash (GSI Payncash), Toni (LPH Cry Baby), Whiskey (KT's Phys Ed), Atom, Lilly

But it sounds like Gabe's appetitie is right on track!! :colgate Has there been any sign of the lameness or is he still doing good?

Gabe's appetite is definitely on track - so much so that we had to dial back the kibble. His oncologist said he's one of the only dogs he's ever seen who is gaining weight while on chemo. We have it in check now, though - much to Gabe's dismay. :lol

No sign of lameness so far - knock on wood.

Guest snakes

Although we don't do a metronomic protocol and haven't done chemo at all, FedX does take artemisinin and curcumin. When we first started all his supplements I brought up the artemisinin with our vet,she was skeptical because she said she really didn't see it make much of a difference. I started it anyway.

We do four days on, 3 days off (easier for me to remember that way since it is always M-TH). He gets curcumin twice a day and at the end of every two bottles I give him a one week break. I tend to see an improvement on the days he receives the artemisinin, i think it makes a difference. personally I tried the Holley brand and didn't see much effect. I tried Swanson herbs brand and Nutricology and saw a difference, they were a lot cheaper too which is good for my limited financial resources.

Guest Greytdog00

I posted this as an individual thread but this probably the best place to put it.

We went to the vet on Thurs and got x-rays done on Shimmie and the results came back just like I thought they would. At 1st the vet didn't think it was osteo but did the x-rays and low and behold there it was. She did a film of his neck and it was there too. When she saw it she went ahead and did a chest film and it has started to metastasize in his lungs and in his brachial lymph nodes as well.

He is on Tramadol for now and will start on a NSAID on Monday (had to get off pred 1st). He seems so much worse since his visit... I'm figuring that he is sore from manipulating him to do the x-rays. Yesterday he was sooo uncomfortable I thought it was the end. I haven't had a pup on Tramadol in awhile and although he is resting okay he is really loopy. He is taking 50mg 3 times a day. He is 70lbs now. For those of you with Tramadol experience, how did your puppers 1st react?

I know cancer never comes at a good time but we have to move this week (foreclosure) and this is gonna be tough. At least the new place we are moving to only has 1 step to go outside.

Thanks for listening.

I also switched Dude onto a modified cancer diet, high in cruciform veggies and dark fruits, in addition to his no-carb kibble (Canidae). I bought prepared "broccoli slaw" from the store as it had most of the best stuff in it and I didn't have to cut it up! Just a handful on top of his kibble. Then threw on some berries (blue, rasp, black), and some cottage cheese. He loved it!

Can you tell me what's in the broccoli slaw? I have a food processor, so it'd probably be pretty easy for me to whip some up for Pinky and Ace. They are already on low-carb kibble (TOTW), so adding in the things you mentioned will be relatively easy for me to do.

Pinky was able to have her second chemo today :yay Dr. Thomsen had to rush into an appointment, so I didn't get to ask what her counts were-he's going to call me in a little while.

I'm so sorry to hear about Shimmie :grouphug

So far, so good post chemo #2. She got up just a bit ago and was licking her lips, so for a moment I was worried she was feeling nauseated. But, I think it's just because she had just got up from a nap and her mouth was dry. We went outside, she is unhappy having to use the segregated yard, but, with so many other dogs, it's safer for them this way. She pottied and hopped around a little and wagged her tail at me. When I mentioned cookies, she started dancing around. So, I think so far she's feeling fine :) We're not past the 6-8 hour mark yet though, so we'll see.