Osteo Thread

We constantly joke about wanting to wrap Gabe in bubble wrap, because while he's still okay with jumping/running around, he's taking years off his parents' lives. :lol We're so terrified/paranoid of a fracture that we even put pillows between our bed and his at night, because he tends to kick out really hard in his sleep.

Edited by vjgrey

Valerie w/ Cash (CashforClunkers) & Lucy (Racing School Dropout)
Missing our gorgeous Miss
Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gabe had bloodwork done this morning, and everything still looks great. :confetti

He's walking a bit stiffly but was trotting/prancing for the oncologist and didn't show any signs of pain when he manipulated his legs. He thinks it's just a touch of arthritis and suggests I keep PJs on him to keep his legs warm. We don't have any four-legged PJs so I suppose I'll have to shop...*SIGH* :lol:

Edited to add - I've put a different collar on Gabe for each onco visit. The receptionist says it's the first thing she looks for when we come in - "What's Gabe wearing today?" :lol

Edited by vjgrey

Diamond (Shorty's Diamond), sweet boy Gabe (Zared) and Holly (ByGollyItsHolly), who never made it home.

I just saw the pics of the holiday party - the one of Kristin hugging Pinky is so sweet!

I'm donating Faye Oops leftover drugs to OSU - hoping another greyhound in need can use them.

I did that too when I lost Pearl. ANd they do send you a list of what the drugs costs for you to use for tax purposes. (if not, ask for it)

Some of the stuff I sent is expensive, so I'm sure some dogs got a good break in costs.

Pinky is sprawled out on the love seat and she's dreaming away...wuffling in her sleep :wub:

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

A cure for cancer can't come soon enough.--

Great news that Gabe is handling his chemo so well! (Twiggy always gets compliments on her varying bling when she goes in too!)

To all who have had delays in getting chemo from OSU, that was the story for us, too. However, it did arrive, and since they send the whole batch at once it isn't an ongoing issue. They are just so busy there, I think it is hard for them to get to everything.

I loved the Pinky's pictures in C&F! Isn't it great to watch her happily dreaming away?

Johanna, I had pretty much the same heart attack the first time Twiggy decided to run downstairs by herself. She misunderstood - I said "uppy-stairs", and she thought I meant "downsie-stairs" I watched, scared to death as she charged down the stairs, knowing I couldn't do anything to help if she fell; but like Hurley, she had it all under control!

Does Berkeley's coat stay on him alright? I've been having trouble with Twiggy's coats all slipping to the side now that she doesn't have both legs to keep the coat straight.

I finally updated Twiggy's other thread. The gist is that the neuro doesn't think it is neuro. I'm not really satisfied with his guesses as to what it might be, but she has been having milder and fewer episodes since last Friday. So, that's got to be good. Anyway, she will go in for re-staging and chemo #5 this Friday. Hopefully everything will look good there!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Pinky got sassy with me this morning...before her surgery, she would talk to me and wildly swing her tail around when she wanted something. Since her surgery, she has wagged her tail, but not wildly. Seems as though she mainly uses it for balance. She got wild this morning when she demanded a treat :wub: It's so great when she does something she hasn't done in a while :)

Kristin in Moline, IL USA with Ozzie (MRL Crusin Clem), Clarice (Clarice McBones), Latte and Sage the IGs, and the kitties: Violet and Rose
Lovingly Remembered: Sutra (Fliowa Sutra) 12/02/97-10/12/10, Pinky (Pick Me) 04/20/03-11/19/12, Fritz (Fritz Fire) 02/05/01 - 05/20/13, Ace (Fantastic Ace) 02/05/01 - 07/05/13, and Carrie (Takin the Crumbs) 05/08/99 - 09/04/13.

Pinky had a CBC this morning - her white count is about 3600 :yay

Pinky got sassy with me this morning...before her surgery, she would talk to me and wildly swing her tail around when she wanted something. Since her surgery, she has wagged her tail, but not wildly. Seems as though she mainly uses it for balance. She got wild this morning when she demanded a treat :wub: It's so great when she does something she hasn't done in a while :)

About 3-4 weeks after the amp, I noticed Berkeley doing things that he hadn't done in a while - little things that I hadn't really noticed until he started doing them again. It was then that I really realized how crappy he must have been feeling, even though he put on a brave face all that time!

And now he's absolutely the same PITA dog as he was pre-cancer - and I love it. :blush

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

We had an absolutely horrific night. Gabe went from "fine" to completely unable to use his back legs. Neither of us has slept. The last time this happened, radiation helped almost immediately, so I'm hoping we can get an emergency appointment. His radiologist leaves TODAY for Christmas. Pray for/think about us, please.

Oh no. Sending prayers for Gabe and hugs for yourself.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Fingers crossed for relief for Gabe and for you guys :goodluck

Good thoughts for Gabe. I hope you can get him in.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Any updates yet on Gabe? :hope

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Had his oncologist check him this morning, and there's no sign of a fracture. Just pain at the osteo site on his back leg. It's so odd that the tumor leg (front) hasn't seemed to bother him at all.

They got him squeezed in for radiation today, so we're hoping that does the trick. Last round, he was trying to run (over the objections of a terrified mama) the next day. The radiology nurses said he insisted on giving kisses to everyone who walked by. :wub: :wub: :wub:

Continued good thoughts for Gabe... :hope

I had Ace in to see Dr. Less today and he asked about Pinky since she's now under Dr. Thomsen's care. He's so excited to hear she's doing well-it's fun because it seemed he was about as invested emotionally in this as I am through her surgery and recovery. Makes me feel great to know that my pets' doctors care about them the way that I do :)

:goodluck that the radiation helps Gabe. Glad they were able to get him in!

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

He's walking without a limp this morning! :confetti :confetti A little bit of stiffness still, but worlds better than he was yesterday. I'm so grateful to Dr. Gustafson and her staff for squeezing him in.

Edited by vjgrey

:yay

Wow, the radiation really is a miracle for Gabe, isn't it? How wonderful that he gets such quick and effective relief from it! I am very happy for you!

Twiggy had her 4-month amputation anniversary yesterday, and received her 5th round of chemo, along with chest x-rays - which came back clear! Oddly, they didn't see the spot that showed up on the OSU x-rays when she was admitted. OSU called it a small, focal soft tissue opacity on the left lung between the 4th and 5th ribs. May be granuloma or possible metastasis (they really didn't think it was metastasis). I'm not sure if it makes sense that a spot like this would go away, or if her current team missed it.

Anyway, she has not been having as many of her "episodes" that no one can define. However, even if they are focal seizures, the fact that they increased then decreased in frequency and duration almost certainly rules out brain tumor as a cause, so :yay . I'm breathing again!

Wendy with Twiggy, fosterless while Twiggy's fighting the good fight, and Donnie & Aiden the kitties

Yay Twiggy! The 21st of this month marks two months since Pinky limped for the first time. She was diagnosed the next morning. On January 7th we'll celebrate her two month ampiversary :)

She is back up to speed running in the yard too. She is Ace's shadow :)

Good thing Gabe got in before Christmas!

I am glad Twiggy is out of the brain tumor woods!

Hurley runs out with the other two hounds and I can't even notice any decrease in speed or excitability....just less of a concern for squirrel patrol but those rodents are on winter break until Hurley gets back to 100% anyway!!! And we'll take as long as we can at 100%!!!

Happy Holigreys!

Bow Wow Wow Yippie Yo Yippie Yay :)

Siggy4.jpg

Johanna with hounds: Woodie (Molly's Marvin) (Grenade X Kh Molly) and Petra (Make Her a Pet) (Dodgem By Design X Late Nite Oasis)

and forever missing Hurley (Jel Try Out) (Gable Dodge X Kings Teresa) with Kalapaki Beach in Kauai as the background