Kennel Cough ... With A Bacteria, Too?

Xan

I'm thankful for Greytalk on this Thanksgiving Day! blush.gif

Poor Pogo! He's feeling pretty poor today, and I'm feeling like a really bad dog-mom. :(

He's been coughing a little bit for the last couple days, but nothing too bad. Yesterday's sounded a little wettish, but just in the morning. Then he seemed fine all day - eating, walking with enthusiasm, normal digestion. We just took a big hit at the vet for Brilly's big dental and many extractions, so we decided we'd treat him like we'd treat ourselves: keep it calm, warm, watch and wait.

Today (Thanksgiving, of course), he was shivering when we got up, and had a long round of the sort of wheezing-coughing with gagging that is described with kennel cough. blink.gif Great. Not that he doesn't just do that sometimes anyway (his nose is deformed from a bite when he was a puppy, so it sometimes causes him to cough like that), but really, this had a different quality to it.

He ate his breakfast, then lay down, which is all normal for him, but he didn't perk up by the time I generally expect him to, nor react with his usual hysteria when DH let slip the magic phrase ("take the dogs for a walk"). At that point, we checked, and he has thin green snot just drooling out of his nose and dripping off his chin, and is very subdued. Took his temp: 102.8ºF. :(

So ... I know not to give him aspirin. I have some Ester C and some L-Glutamine (from past sick dog history) that I'm thinking I'll add to his dinner. Anything else to do 'til or instead of going to the vet?

Send good thoughts for my formerly bouncing boy, if you can spare some!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

I had a dog with kennel cough once, years ago. I took her to the vet. So sorry that you are going through this and on Thanksgiving Day, no less. These dogs do have the best of timing!

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Here's couple of quick links for you, Xan.

One

Two

Three with a video

Four

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels: Rita the podenco maneta, Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

I hope he feels better soon.

Kennel cough is caused by a bacteria (Bordatella bronchiseptica). Uncomplicated cases are usually self-limiting, but if you take him to the vet you'll likely get some antibiotics to go home.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Good thoughts for Pogo. I hope he is feeling better soon.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I'd get in touch with the vet when possible. This sounds un-kennel-cough-like, and I suspect antibiotics would be good. Gentle scritchies to your Pogo boy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'd get in touch with the vet when possible. This sounds un-kennel-cough-like, and I suspect antibiotics would be good. Gentle scritchies to your Pogo boy.

Agreed- here in NJ we are starting to see the canine flu again this year. The symptoms resemble kennel cough.

Poop. :(

Thanks for the links, the ideas and the thoughts. (I hope you all have something more cheerful to do today, but I'm always so grateful that there's always somebody on GT!)

Canine influenza, huh? It looks like flu. I'll look that up, too.

I don't think KC, at this point. Coughing is rare, and not sustained or like he's really working on something. Just little huffs, almost. There also doesn't seem to be that cough-trigger when you rub his trachea that is described with KC. The nasal discharge seems to have dried up for the time being, but his temp is a little higher, and he seems so uncomfortable. Well, having a fever IS uncomfortable, so I get that. I wiped him down with a cold wet cloth, which he stood for without seeming interested. He seems to be breathing with a bit of effort, but not noisily, just a bit faster.

As usual, it's that question of rushing to the e-vet (to be sent home with possibly useless antibiotics and a gored wallet) or wait and see how he does over night. I'm leaning towards the latter, but ... ack. What if things get desperate in the middle of the night? What if I sleep through it?? It will PROBABLY be okay to wait at least 'til tomorrow, but ......

After losing Wabi so suddenly in September, I'm pretty on edge. :unsure

Edited by Xan

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Whew. He seems a little better. His temp is down 4 or 5 tenths to below 103, and he actually got up with a waggy tail to greet DH when he came home from First Thanksgiving (at his daughter's). We were supposed to go the neighbor's with all this food I've been making all day, but I'm not going to leave him alone. We've been looking at canine influenza info, which seems a better fit for his symptoms, and it sounds like the treatment is simply supportive, and most dogs come through fine unless they get pneumonia. So. We'll see how it goes tonight.

Thanks everyone for being there!! Hope you're all having a great T-day.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Whew. He seems a little better. His temp is down 4 or 5 tenths to below 103, and he actually got up with a waggy tail to greet DH when he came home from First Thanksgiving (at his daughter's). We were supposed to go the neighbor's with all this food I've been making all day, but I'm not going to leave him alone. We've been looking at canine influenza info, which seems a better fit for his symptoms, and it sounds like the treatment is simply supportive, and most dogs come through fine unless they get pneumonia. So. We'll see how it goes tonight.

Thanks everyone for being there!! Hope you're all having a great T-day.

I took a quick look at the AVMA website and here is what they say ...

About the mild form—Dogs suffering with the mild form of canine influenza develop a soft, moist cough that persists for 10 to 30 days. Some dogs have a dry cough similar to the "kennel cough" caused by Bordetella bronchiseptica/parainfluenza virus complex. For this reason, canine influenza virus infections are frequently mistaken for "kennel cough." Dogs with the mild form of influenza may also have a thick nasal discharge, which is usually caused by a secondary bacterial infection.

About the severe form—Dogs with the severe form of canine influenza develop high fevers (104ºF to 106ºF) and have clinical signs of pneumonia, such as increased respiratory rates and effort. Pneumonia may be due to a secondary bacterial infection.

If you get lethargy or vomiting or diarrhea, I'd head for the e-vet quickly. (Actually, I might head to the e-vet even without those symptoms, but I'm the nervous type.)

Try setting the alarm on your cellphone to wake you up every two or three hours. If he's worse, you head for the e-vet. But you'll be able to sleep better if you know you'll be getting up to check on him and thus you don't have to jump at every sound.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Just to chime in on the KC....I had a Beagle with it...all coughing...no discharge.....

Best of thoughts going your way, Xan!

gallery_22387_3315_35426.jpg

Robin, EZ (Tribal Track), JJ (What a Story), Dustin (E's Full House) and our beautiful Jack (Mana Black Jack) and Lily (Chip's Little Miss Lily) both at the Bridge
The WFUBCC honors our beautiful friends at the bridge. Godspeed sweet angels.

Ah, thanks for that extra info. I think that's a great idea to set my alarm for every couple hours! :)

He's resting okay right now, breathing relaxed, no nasal discharge. I'll take his temp again in a little bit. He is quiet, for sure, but has shown enthusiasm for comings and goings, and going potty, so not desperately ill at the moment. *crossing fingers*

I didn't really want to go to the neighbor's for dinner, anyway! ;) I sent DH over with all the food I've been working on all day.

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Thanks for checking in! :blush

He's doing apparently much better, after a quiet night. The temp I took before bed had me more worried, at 103.3, but swabbing him down may have helped. That and going out in the cold for last potty! I checked on him every two hours, but he really seemed fine: smooth, calm breathing, no coughing or extra noise, didn't feel quite as warm. This morning, his temp is 100.5! Uh. :blink: He did have some congestion that he sort of huffed up, but is now just waiting for his breakfast. He looks pretty with-it. I'm cautiously optimistic we can avoid the vet, if things don't go too wrong. Think I'll keep up with the L-glutamine and esterC for a bit, too.

Crossing fingers that Brilly doesn't get it!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

Thanks, Mary! Me too. It's odd to see my normally rambunctious guy so mellow, but he ate his meal with gusto, and is now relaxing with an occasional throat-clearing, but no dripping snot or aqua-lung gurgling or anything. :)

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg