Turkey Neck And Giblets

Guest ctgreylover

Guest ctgreylover

I cleaned my turkey and have a bag of giblets and a neck. I was going to toss them then I thought of the pups.

It skeeves me out to look at that stuff but can I do something and give it to them?

You can boil them in water and when tender remove the meat from the bones on the neck, chop up the giblets and add it to their food. They'll love you forever. :lol

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Just hand them to them raw! If there is a lot of skin on the neck you might want to remove that. That's what my pups had for dinner yesterday in fact :lol They get turkey necks at least once a week for teeth and love giblets, heart, gizzard ... all raw.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

Guest ctgreylover

do i give them the meat from the neck or the bone? or both?

Just hand them to them raw! If there is a lot of skin on the neck you might want to remove that. That's what my pups had for dinner yesterday in fact :lol They get turkey necks at least once a week for teeth and love giblets, heart, gizzard ... all raw.

do i snap/cut the neck to make more pieces?

yup, just hand it to them, they will crunch right through it and it will help clean thier teeth too :) they will love it :). You can cut/snap the neck in pieces to split amongst the pups if need be.

Yep, this is the one time of the year I just dump it in their bowls. They love it. :)

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

You can cut the neck in half if you have two dogs and one neck :) also, if they look at you funny when you give them the giblets, you may need to cook those a little, mine don't like them raw (they don't like the texture, I think), and my dogs are raw fed every day :lol

If they have never had raw before they may look at you funny for a moment or two as they try to figure it out, my two inhale them! I feed kibble but get necks at the grocery store and they have them as a snack or meal, depending on the size, at least once a week. Yesterdays were bigger around than my wrist , six inch chunks that weighed in at a pound ... meal. Sometimes they are about an inch in diameter 7-8 inches long ... a snack. Turkey gizzards I do cut up, they're big, but chicken gizzards and hearts just get mixed in with kibble.

gallery_13728_3197_7131.jpg

Charla, Mom to Carl ( Bella Monsoon ) 5/2002 - 9/2016 and remembering Gracie Rose ( Cee Bar Xtreme ) 2/2002 - 1/2014

We used to give these to our dogs, but then we were told (on the news?) that turkey is bad for dogs--almost poisonous. The tryptophan, I think? So we stopped and they haven't gotten turkey anything since.

I would love to discover that this isn't, in fact, the case. Our dogs would be in heaven tomorrow....

Cathy & Calvin (DOB 9/18/13). Always missing my angel Robin (Abdo Bullard).

Guest ctgreylover

We used to give these to our dogs, but then we were told (on the news?) that turkey is bad for dogs--almost poisonous. The tryptophan, I think? So we stopped and they haven't gotten turkey anything since.

I would love to discover that this isn't, in fact, the case. Our dogs would be in heaven tomorrow....

I had heard the skin and fat was bad. something about not digesting correctly. I'd love to know too.

Guest sweetpea

Regarding tryptophan in turkey, there is lots of other stuff has higher concentrations of it.

The amount of tryptophan in turkey is comparable to that contained in most other meats.

grams of T per 100 gram of food

egg, white, dried 1.00

spirulina, dried 0.93

cod, atlantic, dried 0.70

soybeans, raw 0.59

pumpkin seed 0.57

cheese, Parmesan 0.56

caribou 0.46

sesame seed 0.37

cheese, cheddar 0.32

sunflower seed 0.30

pork, chop 0.25

turkey 0.24

chicken 0.24

beef 0.23

salmon 0.22

lamb, chop 0.21

That's your useless information bite of the day!

You're welcome,

Buzzy

Guest Iceman41

So what you are saying is turkey is ok for dogs?

I would think that the neck would not be cool with all those little bones.

I tried to give my girl the neck

She sniffed it and ran to the back did not want nothing to do with it

I am going to boil it later tonight and give it a try again

I've fed raw turkey necks as treats...as well as chicken backs and necks when I could find them at Fiesta. It was perfect -- Poodle ate the necks that were too small for a grey and Buck chomped up the backs.

If turkey was bad for dogs Poodle would be dead. He gets a slice of turkey lunch meat twice a day when he gets his insulin shots. I ran out once and tried to substitute cheese and he threw a fit.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

I feed mine raw, too, and turkey is one of the main ingredients. I started in Feb and they are doing great. Carl can't handle chicken, so we stick with turkey, duck and cornish hens. The other mainstay of their raw diet is raw green tripe (with bones and organ meat).

Typically, the turkey and duck necks are already skinned, I've never seen them sold with the skin on, though I have seen chicken necks sold with skin on.

Please do not ever feed your dog cooked meat with bones in it, no cooked necks with bone. The cooked bone splinters and can cause a lot of problems (internal perforations). Raw bones are fine, their bodies are built to digest them raw. I give Carl a little organic unfiltered apple cider vinegar with his raw meals to help him digest raw bone. Claire has no need for it, she has no digestion issues with raw bone.

Edited by seeh2o

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

So what you are saying is turkey is ok for dogs?

I would think that the neck would not be cool with all those little bones.

I tried to give my girl the neck

She sniffed it and ran to the back did not want nothing to do with it

I am going to boil it later tonight and give it a try again

If you boil it make sure you strip the meat off the bones and don't give her the bones. Cooked bones splinter and can potentially cause serious problems.

Kristie and the Apex Agility Greyhounds: Kili (ATChC AgMCh Lakilanni Where Eagles Fly RN IP MSCDC MTRDC ExS Bronze ExJ Bronze ) and Kenna (Lakilanni Kiss The Sky RN MADC MJDC AGDC AGEx AGExJ). Waiting at the Bridge: Retired racer Summit (Bbf Dropout) May 5, 2005-Jan 30, 2019

Like us on Facebook!

Guest FullMetalFrank

I am cooking our Thanksgiving meal tomorrow; I took the turkey (about 22 lbs, way more than we need!) and cut it up like a chicken; Gene cut the back in three pieces for me (it's huge, too much for one dog) and I divided up the legs, thighs, wings, giblets and neck for future meals for the hounds. We do that pretty much every year; then we roast just the breast for us since we seem to all prefer the white meat anyways. A big turkey, when on sale, is a super deal! I have the breast brining right now and the kids are getting turkey back for dinner (raw, of course) I have not heard of turkey being bad for dogs; we have fed it for quite a few years with no ill effects. I do trim off the excess fat.

Riley got his turkey neck today and thought he'd won the lottery. I gave it to him partially frozen so it would last longer because he is a power chewer. He had to eat it on a towel. When he was done I threw the towel in the washer on sanitize. We have to find a local source for turkey necks... it was a huge hit!

You do not have to cut it up. They will chomp right through the bone.

Bones should be given raw. You can feed the giblets raw or cooked.

Edited by GreytNut

Kristen with

Penguin (L the Penguin) Flying Penske x L Alysana

Costarring The Fabulous Felines: Squeak, Merlin, Bailey & Mystic

68sgSRq.jpg

I've been reading a lot about raw turkey necks and thought Rosie would be in for a treat. Yesterday I took her and the neck outside. She licked it a couple of times, gave me a quizzical look, and carried it off to the other side of the yard and burried it. :lol So I brought her back in. A few hours later, I let her out again and she strolled over to the neck, dug it up, carried it to a new area, and burried it again. :unsure It stayed in the ground over night (42 degrees). This morning she dug it back up, shook it a little (by this time it is covered in dirt) :eek , and then she just dropped it. So, as one last attempt I brought it in, washed it off, and gave it back to her. She took a couple of bites and just walked away. The rest of the neck was thrown into the woods. I am glad I didn't invest anything. Funny thing is, I don't consider her a picky eater. :dunno

Please be careful if sharing meat with dogs that was cooked for human consumption.

Plain meat is best. Do not feed dogs meat that has been cooked with onions, garlic, chives, other spices, butter or fat.

Please AVOID giving hounds turkey/chicken skin, fatty meat drippings, and cooked bones (as mentioned above). Fatty foods can cause Pancreatitis (deadly).

A Few Toxins:

Onions and onion powder are toxic to dogs.

Garlic (less toxic but it is a blood toxin.)

Mushrooms - Please keep your yard cleared of mushrooms, before your dog finds them first.

Below are several good links to common poisons: (The first link includes holiday items.)

A Poison Safe Home - Foods, Plants, Household Poisons: http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/a-poison-safe-home.aspx

Toxic Foods to Pets: http://www.humanesoc...us_to_pets.html

Toxic Foods and Plants: http://www.healthype...e4-af262ec76c7c

Edited by 3greytjoys

Guest Wasserbuffel

I've tried the raw turkey and chicken necks and giblets with Jayne. No good. She won't eat white meats raw, fish, pork,or poultry, and she also refuses any raw organ meats too. All those I have to cook if I expect her to eat them! Spoiled houndy!

My hounds have been eating the "extra" turkey parts for years and they LOVE them! This was Jimmies first Thanksgiving with us so it took him about 30 minutes to eat his turkey back while Leah took about 3 minutes to polish off two small turkey necks :) An added benefit is that the "end" result is always so small and solid and will roll down hill if allowed lol.gif

tday%252520late%252520008.JPG?gl=US

I cleaned my turkey and have a bag of giblets and a neck. I was going to toss them then I thought of the pups.

It skeeves me out to look at that stuff but can I do something and give it to them?

Jody, Leah & Jimmie
Tavasci%2520august%2520sunset%2520%2528C
You left us much, much too soon Lima & Chip :brokenheart