Nerve, Muscle, Or Bone?

Back in August, Enza developed a very pronounced limp. We did the usual vet visits, rounds of rimadyl, etc and came to the conclusion that it was likely a soft muscle or nerve issue. The nerve issue was based on an incident in February where she stopped moving her head and wouldn't put foot on her front leg. The vet called that a pinched nerve and after a week or so, she was fine.

The limp came and went and seemed to move about her body for about 6 weeks. We'd do a round of rimadyl then wait a week to see if the limp cam back and she was limited to very short walks. Throughout this, she still jump up and down for treats and destroy stuffies with glee. About the beginning of October, the limp was gone and Enza was back to herself. We could do long walks again although I tried hard not to overdue it. She could run although I never took her to the dogpark because I knew she's hurt herself again.

When the weather would get cold and rainy, the limp will come back every so slightly.

Than this morning happening. Around 6:30 she leapt off the sofa and froze. She held up the paw that had been causing problems and refused to put weight on it for about 10 mins. I rubbed her shoulders, rubbed her neck (which seemed to help as she flinched then leaned into me), and her paw. There was no yelping just standing and staring at me. I finally threw on some clothes and grabbed the leash to take Laddie (the dog I'm watching) out for a quick pee before throwing her into the car to go to the vet. And she was miraculously cured. Ran around, jumped up and down, and walked fine on the mini stroll around the neighborhood.

I'm kind of at a loss at what - or if - the next step is. Do I let it go as an occasional problem and handle it then? X rays? Acupuncture? She is on some serious joint medication and that has helped (I think). Every time this has manifested, it's due to that leg being jarred somehow.

If you haven't done x-rays on the leg, I would start there for sure. Maybe even include the neck area as spine stuff can cause lameness too.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

I would opt for x-rays as well. I hope it's just something minor but it's better to be sure.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

I would not permit my vet to sedate my dog to x-ray the lower leg. There is no need, IMHO.

I have paid for many x-rays in my life, and the only time they've ever sedated my dog was for hip x-rays, which can be painful to the dog because they have to tug their legs around.

The lower leg area does not require any special manipulating.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

I would not permit my vet to sedate my dog to x-ray the lower leg. There is no need, IMHO.

I have paid for many x-rays in my life, and the only time they've ever sedated my dog was for hip x-rays, which can be painful to the dog because they have to tug their legs around.

The lower leg area does not require any special manipulating.

Agreed. Charlie has had several x-rays and was never sedated.

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest barkdogs

My guess is it's not in the leg, but higher up. Sedation might be required to do radiographs of the cervical region. Acupuncture might well help with something like this--I have had very good results on my animals (and on me, too!)

Best of luck!

To clarify, based on the three exams he has given her, the four videos I sent him, and me watching her like a hawk for three months, Dr Miller wants to x ray her shoulder/neck area as that is where the pain seems to come from.

I would also do that whole leg, in addition - might as well do it all at once! I agree that they'll likely get better radiographs of the neck region with her sedated.

I've had several dogs needed to be sedated for x-rays previously, and it's been fine.

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

The sedation, really, shouldn't be an issue. Not these days. But even still... I had Summer's forelegs x-rayed this year without sedation and there was no problem. Her back legs and hips were also done at a different time and without sedation. Sedation could be needed if if there's pain and manipulation of those big shoulder joints is required. But certainly not for x-rays of limbs.

Perhaps a visit to a chiropractor might be an idea? Summer also had an intermittent limp, worsened by exercise. But I took her to a recommended chiropractor who found the problems right away and after a series of adjustments, she's good as new and now only goes back every few months for a "tweaking" and a check. I had the x-rays done first, though, to make sure it wasn't a soft tissue injury or broken bone or something.

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

I can't remember, did you test for TBDs?

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

The limp came and went and seemed to move about her body for about 6 weeks.

Has the limp always been the same leg, or does this comment indicate that she's limped on other legs too? I know you said you already tested for TBD, but do you know specifically which tests were run? If she's limping on other legs at different times, I'd double check for TBD, especially Lyme disease.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

test results for TBD are often off- has your vet manipulated her shoulder, neck and the spine? mine found exactly where willies' stenosis was just by manipulation. "the weather got cold and rainy and the limp came back"- sounds like arthritis. if your dog's health insurance covers the proceedurs then go for it, other wise then discuss all of your vet's hunches and see what he/she says. how old is enza?

When it first started, her back legs seemed a bit stiff as well but now it's just the front right shoulder. Everything has been manipulated which is why we've narrowed in on the shoulder/neck area as the problem and how it manifests itself is why he isn't too worried about osteo or a bone problem. (And before anyone asks, he is very grey savy and lost his own greyhound to osteo earlier this year so he knows of which he speaks.)

She is still fine but hesitates with that leg every couple steps. It was just odd it came back when she jumped off the sofa - I liken it to jamming your toe or nailing your funny bone.

Really, x-rays are the only way to rule out osteo - regardless of how grey-savvy the vet is. Berkeley was diagnosed with a shoulder injury, too because of his intermittent limping, by a grey-savvy vet - but he had osteo in his wrist upon x-rays. Not saying that's what this is at all, but just that guessing about an osteo diagnosis without x-rays is pretty, well, worthless.

My Daisy has a compressed disc in her neck. She has run into the slider screen door a few times. Diagnosing this was compounded by a wonky arthritic toe that also had a corn. The toe was removed and her gait is still off sometime. We use Robaxin (methocarbomol), which is a muscle relaxant. It can be gotten inexpensively in most states at places like Target, Wally World, etc that have $4 or cheap scripts. Or, in states/stores where it isn't on the $4 list, a AAA card can be used. I got 90 pills for $13.20 in a RI Target recently w my AAA card.

I would also try acupuncture if your dog can tolerate it. Daisy likes to scream when she gets acupuncture, so it's not something we do often.

If you do have Enza sedated for films, I would go ahead and do a dental while I was at it. That way you can skip another sedation for a dental later.

Good luck figuring out this mystery. It took us a very long time.

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04