Elevated Food Bowls

Guest greyers

Guest greyers

I noticed the article the rockets dad posted in Lexie's thread about poor Lexie's upset tummy issues and it mentioned that elevated food bowels can contribute to bloat. I don't know what is wrong with my memory, but I could have SWORN that it was the other way around! That elevating food bowls helps prevent bloat, not cause it. Am I totally way off base here? Or have the philosophies on this changed in the last 5 years or so?

And the second question I have is "do you elevate your bowls"? I always have with my guys... but maybe I am not supposed to? :unsure

My vet doesn't recommend elevated bowls because of bloat.

Lots of different opinions out there.

My eat with their bowls on the floor.

gallery_2213_3086_11460.jpg

Kari and the pups.
Run free sweet Hana 9/21/08-9/12/10. Missing Sparks with every breath.
Passion 10/16/02-5/25/17

Guest greysmitten

I'd say this is a controversial issue with deep chested breeds.

Personally, I use a raised dish. She just seems more comfortable eating from it (no bending or reaching for the bowl).

Use your discretion.

I use raised bowls and have for a long time with no issues.

There is no hard-core data either way. There have been studies on both sides of the issues. If you look on the internet long enough, you will find something to support both sides. Everyone has an opinion. My retired Vet recommended raised years ago. I actually have not discussed it with my current Vet, because I am happy with my decision to use raised and my dogs are fine.

It's a personal decision.

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

I use raised bowls as well. Her giraffe legs have to be splayed to use a bowl on the floor and it looks so uncomfortable. And they tremble a bit, too. My bowls aren't as high as many people's, though. I think exercise immediately before or after feeding is more of a bloat contributor.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Mine have their bowls raised on little tables my dad built for his "granddogs" that are about 12" high. Haven't had any trouble in 6 years. I agree with the Lisa B. above ;) --when mine try to eat from floor level (or pick up rabbit poo in the yard), it seems very awkward for them, they look uncomfortable and their legs tremble if they try to stay in that position very long.

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

I use, and have used, raised bowls for some time. Like Grey Tzu said there is information out there both ways. My bowls are placed on popcorn tins (the newer smaller ones) which raise the food somewhat but their heads still have to bend down a bit.

Those long legs and dishes on the floor have always looked uncomfortable to me, but it is a personal decision.

Guest BrianRke

There has been lots of research done on this topic. I believe the researchers have concluded that it doesnt matter either way. The best way to prevent gastric torsion (bloat), is to divide meals into smaller portions and dont let them be very active for about an hour after eating. Also if you have a fast eater, add water or an obsticle to the food to get them to slow down.

IMO Raised food bowls are better for larger breeds, especially as they get older.

Guest greyers

Ok... cool. I feel a LOT better. THANKS EVERYONE!

Last night I thought "OMG! have I been an awful greyhound mom for the last 10 years by putting my guys food and water on raised plant stands?!" And then I thought I was losing my mind? I could have sworn I read plenty of articles years ago suggesting raising bowls prevents bloat, not causes it!

Since we do not have a yard, all our exercise is on walks, not via running and doing yard zoomies. They are at a decent pace and before their morning meal for 30 minutes and before their night time meal for 45-60 minutes. We rest at least 40 minutes after our walks before they get fed. Their kibble is always soaked, and my new gulper boy gets a kong shoved in his food to slow him down. Those are the main things I know to do to try to prevent it. In 10 years I have never had a greyhound with a problem from raised bowls. Although water they have a choice because some bowls throughout the house are on the floor as well so the cats can drink.

I also read that, besides the no-exercise (and that includes leash walking -- their stomach sways during the walk and can sway enough to flip over) for at least an hour before and an hour after feeding (I try for 2 hours if I can), that they also shouldn't be roaching within that first hour. Wish I could remember where I just read that! I have watched Summer since I read that and I've noticed, much to my interest, that she naturally doesn't roach when her tummy is full and she rarely even goes on her side. Hmmm.

Edited by OwnedBySummer

SummerGreytalkSignatureResized-1.jpg

Lisa B.

My beautiful Summer - to her forever home May 1, 2010 Summer

Certified therapy dog team with St. John Ambulance

Guest KsFrets

Magnus and Maggie's bowls are on the floor, and Lisa'a is raised. Lisa doesn't eat fast or anything, but seems to choke and cough more when her bowl is on the floor.

I noticed the article the rockets dad posted in Lexie's thread about poor Lexie's upset tummy issues and it mentioned that elevated food bowels can contribute to bloat. I don't know what is wrong with my memory, but I could have SWORN that it was the other way around! That elevating food bowls helps prevent bloat, not cause it. Am I totally way off base here? Or have the philosophies on this changed in the last 5 years or so?

And the second question I have is "do you elevate your bowls"? I always have with my guys... but maybe I am not supposed to? :unsure

Raised bowls here too. Probably 10-12 inches off the floor.

I posted that link because it was the first list I found with a fairly complete list of possible symptoms for bloat when Lexie's Mom was trying to figure out what was going on. The article was much longer than just the symptoms list, but to be honest I only looked at the list of symptoms before posting it so she would have it as a reference.

PS - don't believe everything you read on the internet.....:lol:P

rocket-signature-jpeg.jpg

Camp Broodie. The current home of Mark Kay Mark Jack and Gracie Kiowa Safe Joan.  Always missing my boy Rocket Hi Noon Rocket,  Allie  Phoenix Dynamite, Kate Miss Kate, Starz Under Da Starz, Petunia MW Neptunia, Diva Astar Dashindiva, and LaVida I've Got Life

Guest Iceman41

I made one out of a couple 5gal buckets cut a hole in the bottoms spray painted them black turn them over put the bowl in the hole wooola raised bowl

They look like I bought them at the pet store

Guest verthib

I use raised bowls too. Putting them on the floor just makes them need to spread their legs and support themselves in an awkward position. IMO that could cause bloat more because they are inhaling more air when the bowls are on the floor. I use raised stands from Drs Foster and Smith.

There is no solid data on either side, at least that I have found.

I use raised dishes. We actually lost a dog to bloat--a large Lab. There was no "reason." He hadn't done any of the things they say can lead to bloat (gastric torsion). His stomach flipped and twisted, and before we knew it, the vet was telling us that because of his age, he would not likely survive the surgery, and even if he did, his stomach could twist again, so we opted ot have him put to sleep.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest starr511

We use a raised Neater Feeder system. Love the fact that the water splashes out and goes in the bottom part of the feeder. But, Star likes to grab a mouth full and run to her favorite bed, drop the food and eat it from the floor. OK, whatever. :colgate

Love those doggies.

Happy Holidays to all

nancy :xmas

• 2 weeks later...

Ok... cool. I feel a LOT better. THANKS EVERYONE!

Last night I thought "OMG! have I been an awful greyhound mom for the last 10 years by putting my guys food and water on raised plant stands?!" And then I thought I was losing my mind?

This reminded me of another ever changing medical stance. Sleeping babies & SIDS. When I was a baby, tummy sleeping was "best". Then as I got older and started babysitting, tummy sleeping was bad and back sleeping was "best". When I had my son 10 yrs ago, using the baby taco thingamajig was "best" and the other 2 were bad. No matter how much I tried getting my son to sleep on his side in that taco, he kept moving to his tummy, head turned to the side. I felt like a bad mommy because I couldn't get my son to sleep how was "best". Then I realized the way he was preferring was best for him because he slept as soundly as a newborn can in that position. He was strong enough to lift his head and there was no plush/fluffy stuff by his head to faceplant in. The only way I would NOT let him sleep was flat on his back, babysitting too many drunk friends in college taught me that position could be the worst.

I see the raised feeder/bloat conflict the same. Experts will change their theories over time. Each new theory comes out looking down on the previous method and praising the new one. There will be success stories and sad ones for any method. But there are common denominators through all of them. You're taking precautions and making sure your pups are safe and comfortable. You're not an awful greyhound mommy :)

As for Sammi, she eats her watered down meals from a raised feeder. She is a Hoover. ATM, the bottom of her food dish is 8" off the floor, but she has eaten at higher levels. Any lower and my giraffe will gag, watered down food or not. Activities after meals are minimal. Except for breakfast, she doesn't need to go outside to potty til about 30 minutes after she eats. B'fast, it is an immediate necessity to get her outside lol but it's only to potty and then back in to relax on the couch or a dogbed.