Not Able To Get Up

Guest greyhoundmom1

Guest greyhoundmom1

It's been a long while since I posted but have a situation with one of my greys and hope it's not serious. We took our 2 to the dog park and they ran a bit but nothing strenuous. On the way home my male, 7 years old, was fine standing up in the back seat and then halfway home laid down. By the time we got home he couldn't get out of the car. We pulled on his lead and when he got up he fell out of the car as his back legs seemed to be like rubber and he cried out. We attempted to try to get him to stand but to no avail. We ended up carrying him into the house and he's just laying on his bed and can't get up. He tried a few times but it seems his front leg and back legs seemed to be numb.

Could he pulled a muscle - which I'm hoping for - and he'll be fine in a few hours or do I need to be more concerned and get him to a vet tonight?

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

thanks!

I don't have any specialized knowledge to offer. But if it were me, I'd go to the vet. Not being able to move, and falling down when trying to, sounds potentially serious to me. I'm so sorry to say that. :( Maybe someone will happen along here who has experience.

Mary with Jumper Jack (2/17/11) and angels Shane (PA's Busta Rime, 12/10/02 - 10/14/16) and Spencer (Dutch Laser, 11/25/00 - 3/29/13).

I am not an expert on Greyhounds, or any dog for that matter, and I tend not to overreact when there might be a medical emergency, but if it were my dog who couldn't stand up -- if all 4 legs are not working -- I would run to the vet.

I would also get him to the vet ASAP. Could be FCE My link.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

If you need anymore encouragement--I, too, would absolutely be going to the vet. I think a pulled muscle may have showed itself AT the park and/or wouldn't be making him completely incapacitated. No offense to anyone else offering advice here, but the sudden and extreme symptoms would have me on the phone with our vet.

Lisa
...sharing the journey with my best friend, Kevin, and our four greyhounds:
Littermates Sweetie* & Spicy (Possible Betsy, Possible Edna),

Moody* (Jr's Moody Man), and Dragon (Kiowa Dragonfire)

*Gone to wait for us at the Rainbow Bridge

Vet now. Possible FCE.

Sending best wishes.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

nobody on an Internet msg board can even begin to diagnose what is going on. Look at it this way, if your husband or one of your skin kids or YOU were suddenly unable to stand or walk, would you wait until tomorrow?

Vet NOW. In the meantime NO MEDS!!!!! Your vet may want to use a med that will be inconsistent with some of the usual things you have at home. If you can't go now, at least call the e-vet and ask for advice.

There are things you can do, like squeezing his toes, to see if he can feel pain.

Good luck. I'm sorry you're going through this.

ETA--Bilateral limb weakness/paralysis is not a pulled muscle. It's more likely a neuro issue. It could be a nerve or disc problem--but I am not a vet.

Edited by DaisyDoodle

Donna
Molly the Border Collie & Poquita the American-born Podenga

Bridge Babies: Daisy (Positive Delta) 8/7/2000 - 4/6/2115, Agnes--angel Sage's baby (Regall Rosario) 11/12/01 - 12/18/13, Lucky the mix (Found, w 10 puppies 8/96-Bridge 7/28/11, app. age 16) & CoCo (Cosmo Comet) 12/28/89-5/4/04

Vet now!!!

Through many years I've sort of formed a guide that if the dog is drinking and not in obvious distress it can probably wait until morning. Not being able to get up is obvious distress.

Girlie woke me scraping her nails in the kitchen many months ago when she couldn't get up. We were at the vet ASAP. Muscle relaxers have done a ton for her and she is doing fine now.

If it is the front leg and back leg on the same side it might be a stroke.

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

Guest avadogner

Any news yet? I hope it wasn't an embolism. I concur about no meds. When Augie injured his leg, we watched it for a couple hrs and gave him a NSAID. The ER nurse in me just went on autopilot without checking with the vet first. It made our ER visist longer, more exspensive and made the vet ticked off. I hope your hound is OK.

tons of good prayers and thoughts going out for you. My Dalton suffered from a FCE and it was similar to your description.He's fine now by the way! I hope everything is ok. WIll continue to check in.

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

Guest greyhoundmom1

Thanks to everyone!!! Update - he spent the night at the vet with pain meds and IV. They've taken blood to test for Addison's but don't believe he has it. We picked him up today and he's just about back to his old self. Took him to his regular vet and he was checked out everything was okay. Not sure if it was a stroke or heart attack so right now he's home and we'll wait to see what the Addison test comes back at but apparently he'll be okay. Freaky and scary last night but glad he's better today!

Glad to see that he can get around today. Keep us posted on what the tests show.

Mary, mom to kitty Rebel.
Always missing Sherri (SO DELICIOUS) (12/6/2005-8/29/2018) kitties Marley (4/2000-12/3/2015) and Beady (4/1998-2/24/2006) and Dalmatian Daisy (7/25/1984-5/13/1999).

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work

and give to those who would not - Thomas Jefferson

Glad to see he's better today. It's horribly scary when they go down in the back end like that.

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

So glad to hear he's home and doing well. Please keep us posted.

Cynthia, & Cristiano, galgo
Always in my heart: Frostman
Newdawn Frost, Keno Jet Action & Chloe (NGA racing name unknown), Irys (galgo), Hannah (weim), Cruz (galgo), & Carly CW Your Charming

Princess http://www.greyhound-data.com/d?i=1018857

"It came to me that every time I lose a dog they take a piece of my heart with them. And every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of their heart. If I live long enough, all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are." -- Unknown

Very Happy to hear that he is better today.... I know that had to be scary. Will be praying for negative results on the test.

darlenesiggy2.jpg
Darlene Mom to: Aladdin, Sophie ,Pongo, Jasmine, Relic Forever in our Hearts Champ at the Rainbow Bridge.

Let a greyhound race into your heart Adopt

Bay Area Greyhound Adoptions INC. Naples/ Fort Myers Chapter

If he were mine I would be restricting his activity for a while. Cash was fine until she had a similar thing happen one day. Like him she SEEMED to recover quickly. The vet and I were optimistic. But it was actually the beginning of the end-she crossed over in only ~12 weeks after the first time she went down. From what I experienced with her I learned it is possible for the disk to make a remarkable recovery with rest etc. SOMETIMES. If they don't get the rest and it goes out again... they may never walk again. Cash got the rest and hers still went out again-and there was terrible increasing pain-and the paralysis spread and got worse. I wouldn't take a chance. I would make sure he got several weeks of VERY restricted activity and then pray that if it was a disk that he was one of the lucky ones that recovered.