Infection After A Dog Bite

This is gone on long enough without finding out why. Really surprised that all they did was give you an injection with Convenia not even knowing if it's an appropriate antibiotic. Personally, I feel it's time to seek another opinion if you don't see dramatic improvement.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would revisit what the culture showed and what antibiotics the bug(s) were sensitive to.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I would revisit what the culture showed and what antibiotics the bug(s) were sensitive to.

I feel like she said the culture did not show anything? Is that possible?

If he's not better in another week or so, I will take him for a second opinion. The problem is that I keep thinking he's better and then another hole opens up.

Hi there. Sorry to read about the incident. But a couple of recommendations as my two boys got into a skirmish over a food bowl in October and one bit the other near the shoulder blade (took a chunk out), so I just went through the bite protocol.

I have used the following (in no particular order for bites) and all have healed nicely. Vet prescribed Clavamox and at home, I wash(ed) the wound daily with no-sting saline solution, Neosporin foamy no-sting cleaner, and/or Nolvasan (sp) from the vet.

After cleaning the area, I apply antibiotic ointment and/or Young Living Animal Scents ointment (an essential oils ointment - great stuff) Young Living. The ointment looks like Bag Balm; has a salve consistency.

Not sure if something else is going on there? but I still would recommend the Animal Scents ointment. Good luck!

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

So, if you can't culture successfully because of the antibiotics he's already taking, more focused a/bs aren't really an option. Hm. Maybe something else that might be immune supportive? Herbals? Homeopathics? Supplements? Maybe something that supports healthy tissue repair, too?

That this infection is under the skin is what's scary. You can't keep the whole thing clean by topical cleaning or treatment. *wracking my limited brain for unavailable knowledge*

:( Lucy, I hope you can find something that helps soon!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

My Inspirations: Grey Pogo, borzoi Katie, Meep the cat, AND MY BELOVED DH!!!
Missing Rowdy, Coco, Brilly, Happy and Wabi.

Poor little mite. sad.gif

I was reading onrushpam's thread about her latest crud case, Happy & I wonder if she might have some suggestions for you. Puzzle isn't anywhere as sick as Happy but there might be some similarities. Happy

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis

Thanks so much everyone for your support & suggestions!

I'm still a little puzzled by your vets action-antibiotic choice. If Convenia didn't knock it out before why another injection and why not a different antibiotic like Baytril or Cefazolin?

Think I'm feeling your frustration for you.

He was on Clavamox first, then Baytril. He was on Baytril when they did the culture. Do you think that impacted the results? I think b/c the culture didnt grow anything my vet is pretty much dismissing it as nothing serious. What would you suggest the next step should be if he doesn't get better in the next week or so?

If it were nothing serious, it would be gone.

We do cultures pretty regularly on people who are on antibiotics. Results vary, but if there's an active infection, whatever is causing that will usually grow. *Just* having had an antibiotic shot could damp down growth pretty significantly tho.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Well, I'm not a vet. But if he gets *another* bump, I might see if the vet will aspirate that and get it off to culture before it opens up and starts draining.

Hate to say it, by I agree.

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

How's he doing today?

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Wow, I can't believe this is still going on. Poor guy. :( And poor you. I hope you can get it resolved soon. :goodluck

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

Hi everyone, thanks for asking! I think it's looking good, but I'm not breathing a sigh of relief quite yet. There's one tiny spot that is still oozing and he skin doesn't quite feel normal, like there may be some more puss under there. But overall it looks to be healing. I think he may have a really funky looking leg for life because it seems to be all scar tissue. But of course that is not important, as long as it heals. I'll keep you guys posted. Thanks again!!!

I wonder if there is some (magical?) laser treatment that might ... I don't know ... sort of ... hm. We need a magic spell here! The look of the scar tissue may not matter, but if it restricts his movement or comfort, it might. I HOPE not! Poor kiddo!!

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg

The peeliness sounds like normal healing. Maybe the lumpiness is scar tissue under the skin? Maybe it will absorb over time. Does it feel squishy or liquidy at all? That might be bad-yuck under there.

Thanks for the update!! We worry about our little guy! :wub:

GT-siggy-spring12.jpg