Infection After A Dog Bite

About a month ago, I was walking my dogs and a group of little dogs that roam my neighborhood came up to us and attacked :angryfire Puzzle and Jabari (my IGs) both had puncture wounds, and spent the afternoon at the vet getting them cleaned out. They were both put on Clavamox for a week, and both seemed to be healing up great.

Puzzle's wound was on his thigh and was scabbed over and everything, but then yesterday morning when he woke up there was a huge bubble under his skin. By the time I got him to the vet it had already popped and blood and puss was oozing out. It was just 2 small spots. The vet (someone new b/c my vet is out for a week), put him on Baytril and sent us on our way. She didn't clean it or tell me to put anything on it.

Today it is looking worse, there are 3 holes and it's continuing to ooze. I am worried and not sure if I should be cleaning it somehow or what? I've just been gently wiping it with a warm compress. I will call back on Monday but thought I'd ask here in the meantime.

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Edited by RileysLegacy

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seems like there might be a deep pocket. I would flush the wound with dilute chlorhexidine soultion using an oral or a curved tip syringe. It may help to warm compress the area a couple of times a day using a warm, wet washcloth. Baytril is a pretty strong antibiotic.

Edited to add-- try to keep the wound open-prevent it scabbing over that way it may drain.

Edited by tbhounds

tbhounds, what ratio dilution do you use for chlorhexidine?

My horse's vet suggested 9:1 water to Betadine (10% povidone iodine). Guess that makes it 1% povidone iodine. That way you don't need to worry about rinsing it off. Just curious about the level for chlorhexidine.

A grey might let you flush a wound like that, but not sure if most iggies would... It can be a pretty painful process. The photo from today actually looks pretty good to me. If it's continuing to ooze, that's a good thing. Will probably take the antibiotics a couple days to really kick in.

Jennifer &

Willow (Wilma Waggle), Wiki (Wiki Hard Ten), Carter (Let's Get It On),

Ollie (whippet), Gracie (whippet x), & Terra (whippet) + Just Saying + Just Alice

gtsig3.jpg

A grey might let you flush a wound like that, but not sure if most iggies would... It can be a pretty painful process. The photo from today actually looks pretty good to me. If it's continuing to ooze, that's a good thing. Will probably take the antibiotics a couple days to really kick in.

Oh good, I feel a lot better now, thanks so much! Puzzle will let me do anything to him, so no worries there, but I don't want to hurt him :unsure I'll just dilute it really well.

Poor baby! My Shelby (1/2 whippet) had a neighbor's unconfined dog bite her while we were on a walk (a number of years ago). She had two puncture wounds in almost the exact same place. Went to the vet and got antibiotics. She also developed an abcess. Before I got her back to the vet it started draining (middle of the night of course) through the original puncture wound. Sweet Shelby was good enough to let me gently "massage" the area to push the pus out. When I had gotten most of it out, she let me know she had enough so I stopped. The vet said that I did fine and gave Shelby a different antibiotic. She recovered quickly and is just fine today.

I did want to add that the opening was quite small -- I'm not sure how I would have been able to flush it. She developed quite a large abscess (about a 4 inch round by 11/2 inch high area) by the time it started draining. I know it wasn't this much, but it seemed like I got 2 or 3 cups of "gunk" out of it.

Jane

Poor baby! My Shelby (1/2 whippet) had a neighbor's unconfined dog bite her while we were on a walk (a number of years ago). She had two puncture wounds in almost the exact same place. Went to the vet and got antibiotics. She also developed an abcess. Before I got her back to the vet it started draining (middle of the night of course) through the original puncture wound. Sweet Shelby was good enough to let me gently "massage" the area to push the pus out. When I had gotten most of it out, she let me know she had enough so I stopped. The vet said that I did fine and gave Shelby a different antibiotic. She recovered quickly and is just fine today.

I did want to add that the opening was quite small -- I'm not sure how I would have been able to flush it. She developed quite a large abscess (about a 4 inch round by 11/2 inch high area) by the time it started draining. I know it wasn't this much, but it seemed like I got 2 or 3 cups of "gunk" out of it.

Jane

Thanks Jane, that sounds exactly like what happened, so I am hopeful Puzzle will heal quickly like Shelby did.

What are the signs to look for that I should be concerned? It looks worse to me today, it is more open and oozing a lot of clear stuff. And he is licking a little :( I know it will take a few days for the abx to kick in, but I want to be sure to stay on top of it.

I would do the dilute chlorhex flush myself, but an alternative if he doesn't like it might be to just let warm water run over it for a bit a few times a day. Not an expert, but I'm pretty sure that promotes wound healing and would still flush it out pretty well.

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

It's been a long time since we've had a deep puncture but IIRC what we did with ours was warm soak (wet compress) with dilute Nolvasan / Chlorhexidine / Epsom salts, mainly to keep it open while it was healing.

Clear stuff is OK, gooey greenish smelly stuff would be not OK.

Best wishes to your handsome little guy.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Sounds like it's healing- it might look worse before it gets better. Keeping it open will allow it to drain. Remember you want it to heal inside to outside.

Puncture wounds get narly because they close over so quickly trapping bacteria allowing the bacteria to have a field day.

I don't have an exact dilution ratio Chlorhex:water-- I usually dilute to a light sky blue.

Keep up the good work!!!

Lucy,he is just darling and his wound looks like what Daisy had. I would do water therapy. Take him in the tub or shower and just let cool water run over the wound for 10 or 15 min. It works wonders!! Daisy's was probably 3 times the size of Puzzles boo boo...Hugs for both of you.

Haven't read the responses at all. Avril was attacked by a pitbull on Friday. She is on baytril. She had numerous sutures and bite wounds. I just can't even think about this. It's awful. but I do know from my vet that bites can be serious and cause nasty problems. Avril is on Doxy for a TBD, Encephalitis and also has seizures. But yes, I'd get some meds. Hoping for a good recovery for your little one!

also, we did water therapy and hotpacks.

Edited by Devotion

scootersig_A4.jpg

Pam with greys Avril, Dalton & Zeus & Diddy the dachshund & Miss Buzz the kitty

Devotion, Jingle Bells, Rocky, Hans, Harbor, Lennon, NoLa, Scooter, Naomi and Scout at the bridge

hi guys, i noticed another lump on puzzle's thigh/butt this morning and his skin looks purple underneath. it is a few inches away from these other holes.

b4ae5815.jpg

and this is how it looks today. it's not draining much anymore, and he's losing his fur.

b54937c3.jpg

he has a vet appointment with our regular vet on tues morning. is that soon enough? i'm worried the infection is spreading. he has about 5 days of baytril left.

Is this new purple lump lower on his leg than the initial injury? If so it could be just a hemotoma (bruise) pooling. I've had dogs have an initial injury on a side and later found a big pooling at the lowert point on the chest.

Hope it's something simple.

Freshy (Droopys Fresh), NoAh the podenco orito, Rita the podenco maneta, Howie the portuguese podengo maneto
Angels:  Lila, the podenco, Mr X aka Denali, Lulu the podenco andaluz, Hada the podenco maneta, Georgie Girl (UMR Cordella),  Charlie the iggy,  Mazy (CBR Crazy Girl), Potato, my mystery ibizan girl, Allen (M's Pretty Boy), Percy (Fast But True), Mikey (Doray's Patuti), Pudge le mutt, Tessa the iggy, Possum (Apostle), Gracie (Dusty Lady), Harold (Slatex Harold), "Cousin" Simon our step-iggy, Little Dude the iggy ,Bandit (Bb Blue Jay), Niña the galgo, Wally (Allen Hogg), Thane (Pog Mo Thoine), Oliver (JJ Special Agent), Comet, & Rosie our original mutt.

tiny hada siggy.png

Is this new purple lump lower on his leg than the initial injury? If so it could be just a hemotoma (bruise) pooling. I've had dogs have an initial injury on a side and later found a big pooling at the lowert point on the chest.

Hope it's something simple.

not really... it's about parallel to the ground, but closer to his tail. it does look like a bruise, though. could he get a hematoma this long after the intial injury? it's been like 5 weeks since he was bit.

Might be worth giving the vet a call tomorrow and describing the new bump in case he/she wants to change antibiotics.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.