Slowing Down Dinner Time

Guest 2Brindles

My first foster gulped down his kibble so fast he threw it up and re-ate it. Now I spread it out on a cookie sheet and put a soup bowl in the middle to slow him down After a few weeks he slowed and realized nobody would steal from him. He was given a private room. I wet his food so it slides down better.

Guest 2Brindles

The redneck version of the Portion Pacer is a tennis ball.

:lol I may try this out and/or the cereal bowl method. I just don't want him to get bloat. He doesn't throw up but he belches. :blush

Guest jbbuzby

Muffin tins are another greyt option.

For my boy, I let his kibble sit in water for 3 minutes first, so that it just slides down easily. Since we've done this, he has had no more gagging.

Or, on other nights, I'll use a food dispensing toy like the Kong Wobbler or Busy Buddy, where just a few pieces come out at a time.

Guest HoundLife

Two of my four are super-gulpers. The best thing I've yet to find is a rubber jello mold that fits nicely inside a large plastic bowl. I bought the first mold 3 years ago and it's still going strong. You can see a picture of it here.

This is what we do, a bowl inside and on top of their feed, water in the feed and yogurt in the small bowl:

IMG_0080.jpg

Wendy and The Whole Wherd. American by birth, Southern by choice.
"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup!"
****OxyFresh Vendor ID is 180672239.****

Guest greysmitten

Put a length of large-link chain in the bowl. It's even more challenging than the ball and a lot less tempting to play with.

Edit: My sister bought that "thing" (ie. over-priced ceramic ball) for her Mastiff baby ... it works, but I don't get why she'd spend the money.

Edited by greysmitten

Guest 2Brindles

I tried the method that many of you suggested - I put a small bowl upside down in his food bowl and added a little water to his kibble. It slowed down his eating dramatically; he ate his dinner in 3-4 minutes instead of 30 seconds. :blink:

When Sammi switched to TOTW, she started to inhale even worse. And with those tiny pieces (man I wish they had larger chunks)she would gag herself. I tried the bowl upside down within her bowl and she still inhaled the food. So I just wet it down. She eats slower and no more gagging.

Guest RaznNik

Nik used to inhale his food, so a friend suggested adding water and it was very helpful. It took some time, but he eats now knowing he will get another meal tomorrow!

The redneck version of the Portion Pacer is a tennis ball.

Tried this and my girl just picked up the ball and placed it next to her dish. When she was done eating she brought the ball to me to play :lol

edited to add: I like the jello mold idea or maybe a bunt pan.

Edited by june

I have the brake fast bowl for my lab who inhales everything. It works great. Same idea as the muffin tins, which we used for a bit but I can't stand the sound of metal scooching across the tile floor. :lol

http://www.brake-fast.net/

gallery_12867_3348_20333.jpg
~Beth, with a crazy mixed crew of misfits.
~ Forever and Always missing and loving Steak, Carmen, Ivy, Isis, and Madi.
Don't cry because it's ended, Smile because it happened.
Before you judge me, try to keep an open mind, not everyone likes your taste.

Some bowls work well if you turn them over and they have a well with the bump in the center. All my stainless steel bowls are like that so I just turn it over, plus I wet the food. My Border Collie inhales. Samlur is a dainty eater. You can do this with some plastic dishes but I prefer stainless.

"Then God sent the Greyhound to live among man and remember. And when the day comes God will call the Greyhound to give Testament, and God will pass judgment on man."

Persian Proverb

While at Wally world last evening I bought some 9 inch cake pans :food (about $1 each) and served the girls their breakfast in them this morning.

All I can say is Wow! :eek Instead of wolfing their breakfast they had to chase the kibble around the pan. No gulping, choking :yuck or reverse sneezing! Everyone ate and enjoyed their breakfast taking a more reasonable amount of time to finish their meals.

:ding

I don't know how well the pans will hold up, but at $1 each I will be glad to replace them when they need it.

:hehe

Guest Swifthounds

Lots of good advice, though if you go with the tennis ball be very careful with a gulper - a greyhound's mouth is large enough to get one lodged in their throat. I've only known one hound that happened to with a tennis ball, but he absolutely panicked and it was quite the scare. Lots of things you can try as an add in (like an upside down bowl) or replacement (like a bundt pan).

Some will inhale less if fed in a crate where there's no worry of food being taken. Some won't.

Guest zombrie

I have the brake fast bowl for my lab who inhales everything. It works great. Same idea as the muffin tins, which we used for a bit but I can't stand the sound of metal scooching across the tile floor. :lol

http://www.brake-fast.net/

This bowl has worked incredible for my Golden. We tried the tennis ball trick on my GSD but she was smart enough to pick it up and drop it outside of her bowl :lol :lol

Edited by zombrie