Aging Hips

vsrenard

My Zola is a feisty 11-yr-old who loves to run, run, run but whose body can't really take the beating anymore. We go to the beach at least once a week for a "big" run, usually with GHs. Zola is up there with the best of them but the effort takes a toll on her. Besides the two corns in her front feet that we are trying to manage as best as we can, she has arthritis in her hips. She wil happily launch herself into any race and let her body pay for it later and though it kills me to see her limping for days after, I *won't* take her fun away from her. But I am wondering if there is anything I can do to help her hurt less.

I give her glucosamine/chondroitin supplements, a multi-vitamin, and omega-3 and -6 acids.

I massage her daily, focusing on her muscles.

Has anyone tried acupuncture? Or something else that may help?

Thank you...

Missing Zola, my hero and my heart; and Brin, my baby dog, my wisp of love.

Guest Swifthounds

I would add MSM and Boawellia, double check the glucosamine/chondroitin dose and source, and lose the omega 6s - they promote inflammation and are what you give the omega 3s to offset. Also, if you're not giving a therapeutic dose of omega 3s, try that.

Thank you, I've been reading about what a good therapeutic dose for glucosamine/chondroitin is and have found varying ranges in the literature. Do you know of any large n studies that are well designed?

Where did you get that info about the Omega-6?

Thank you again!

ETA: My understanding of the benefits of Omega-6 is that you need to keep the dose low, relative to the dose of Omega-3, in order to avoid inflammatory effects.

Edited by vsrenard

YES to the acupuncture! It doesn't help all dogs, but when Sugar developed lower back problems (similar to spinal arthritis) at 11 1/2 and almost couldn't walk, acupuncture gave her great relief. After about a month, she was 90% back to normal. She was on all they supplements, and NSAIDs, but the acupuncture was what really did it. I have arthritis in my hips myownself, and acupuncture works great for me, too :)

ETA: My understanding of the benefits of Omega-6 is that you need to keep the dose low, relative to the dose of Omega-3, in order to avoid inflammatory effects.

If she's getting corn or corn fed animals in her food, she's probably getting more than enough Omega-6s.

Is medication an option you'd consider?

eta: On the days she's really sore, a heating pad on the joint for 20 minutes or so can really help, but I'd sit with her while it's on there.

Edited by PatricksMom

Beth, Petey (8 September 2018- ), and Faith (22 March 2019). Godspeed Patrick (28 April 1999 - 5 August 2012), Murphy (23 June 2004 - 27 July 2013), Leo (1 May 2009 - 27 January 2020), and Henry (10 August 2010 - 7 August 2020), you were loved more than you can know.

Thank you all. I would consider medication if it doesn't just knock her out. Rimadyl makes her loopy and I'd like to avoid that.

It shouldn't. It's an anti-inflammatory. Does't have any "loopy making" ingredients.

Have you tried Deramaxx? George takes that.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Thank you all. I would consider medication if it doesn't just knock her out. Rimadyl makes her loopy and I'd like to avoid that.

It shouldn't. It's an anti-inflammatory. Does't have any "loopy making" ingredients.

Have you tried Deramaxx? George takes that.

She gets lethargic with it and loses her apetite. Our vet said it's an uncommon but reported reaction.

I have not tried Deramaxx--I will look into it. Thx!

A couple of other options: laser therapy and methocarbamol (muscle relaxant). Pink has been getting both (plus an NSAID and Tramadol, neither of which was sufficient) thanks to a nasty hip/quad injury. Not only is she now sound, but she has actually started jumping into the car. The only other time she's done that in her 18 months here was one day when it was raining hard. :rolleyes:

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

I second the use of heat as an addition to the other ideas. Especially in cold weather, it seems to help my little Echo but I don't use a heating pad. I make rice bags and microwave them for a minute or two. They are too hot at first but I let them cool for a minute or two (until I can hold them on my neck without discomfort) and then put them on the hips. This way, I can leave if I want to because the worst that can happen it they tear up the rice bag.

One of my horses is on monthly Adequan and it has made a huge improvement.

I ran out last Novemeber and did not re-order...he was doing SO well.

But, by early February he was showing signs of being a bit sore.

I started him back on the loading dose and he was feeling fabulous in 3 weeks... and I won't let myself run out again!

I know several aged dogs who have excellent results with accupuncture.

Nancy...Mom to Sid (Peteles Tiger), Kibo (112 Carlota Galgos) and Joshi.  Missing Casey, Gomer, Mona, Penelope, BillieJean, Bandit, Nixon (Starz Sammie),  Ruby (Watch Me Dash) Nigel (Nigel), and especially little Mario, waiting at the Bridge.

SKJ-summer.jpg.31e290e1b8b0d604d47a8be586ae7361.jpg