Scout

Guest KennelMom

Guest KennelMom

My dear Scouty. What an amazing dog that I feel so blessed to have shared my life with. The first time I ever saw her, I was walking through the racing kennel picking up a load of adoption hounds and she came flying up from the back of her crate. Her solid white eye startled the crap out of me! Shocked, I asked the trainer what was wrong with her...his reply - nothing. She came off the hauler like that and raced just fine. Surprising because it was her rail eye! She was the first dog I ever adopted right from the racing kennel (I owe a huge debt and thank you to Heather/greysandmoregreys for trusting us with her!). When I learned she was supposed to be picked up by an adoption group, but was swapped out at the last minute for another hound, I asked if we could bring her home.

The day we went to pick her up in Birmingham, she was roaching in her crate. And that was Scout. The happiest dog I've ever known...Her curly tail always wagging. At home, on a walk, at the vet...she was just always happy.

3124337717_bba728753f.jpg

Whereas most dogs blend right in with the pack, Scout always marched to the beat of her own drum...she was never a follower, always doing what she wanted to do. And she was loyal to her people. There are some dogs that you just know love you in a way other dogs don't. A special connection...That was Scouty. Always wanting to sleep right next to me during a nap or sit next to me on the sofa. She was one of those dogs that I think would crawl inside me if she could.

4019359460_d624d3202d.jpg

4071502007_6f5aff4743.jpg

She loved to watch TV and would jump up and catch low flying birds right out of the air. Impressive considering she had sight in only one eye, which I would think messed up her depth perception. But, no one ever told her she was handicapped in anyway. She even loved lure coursing (though she always ran singles because her limited vision might have been a danger to another dog)

3204248510_9d0139ce41.jpg

I remember when the news ran a spot on open field coursing...she was obsessed with that clip! She wanted to chase the bunnies too! (video)

OFC 018

And she gave the BEST hugs...something her trainer at the track had encouraged in her (and the reason the adoption group had passed her over). But, over time she learned to only give hugs when asked...and she would be SO happy when invited to do so.

3343443105_2244a385b0.jpg

She was just a fun, happy, interesting, challenging, really awesome greyhound. Taken by osteo much too soon. :cry1

4353190165_26de325dca.jpg

Thank you, Scout, for being the dog you were. I love you :kiss2 We will miss you forever...

3478724630_cc55061cbe.jpg

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a sweet and touching tribute to your beautiful girl. Scout was certainly a one-of-a-kind soul who lived a life where she was loved for her spirit and the joy she took in life. I am so sorry she had to leave you but she has left so many wonderful memories of her time with you.

flowers_pink.gifflowers_pink.gif

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Guest goofydog

Even knowing you would be helping her to cross the Bridge soon it still hurts my heart to see your post. Godspeed Scout, you were a beautiful girl.

What a lovely tribute to your special girlie. :heart I'm sorry the monster stole her from you. :cry1 Godspeed, sweet Scout... :gh_run

Jeanne with Remington & Scooter the cat
....and Beloved Bridge Angels Sandee, Shari, Wells, Derby, Phoenix, Jerry Lee and Finnian.....
If tears could build a stairway, and memories a lane, I'd walk right up to heaven
and bring you home again.

I am so sorry. :f_pink What a special girl who will always warm that special place in your heart. Godspeed, Scout.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

Another beautiful pups taken by this horrid disease, I am very sorry for your loss.

Run free Scout, run free...:gh_run

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest KennelMom

Thank you for your kind words, everyone...

Is Scout watching the Food Network in that photo? That's my kind of dog.

Oh yes, she loved shows with people...she also liked Cops

3203399811_b09db59584.jpg

And, OF COURSE, dog shows

3203399855_c9e459bd23.jpg

Heather and Ken, my heart sank when I saw Scout's thread closed in H and M. She must've been quite a character! I'm so sorry :f_red

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

I'm so sorry for your loss. What a wonderful, beautiful girl she was & too young to leave you. Godspeed Scout! flowers_yellow.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis