Crateless Experiment

Guest SupersMom

Guest SupersMom

Our baby girl is very moody. Apparently she hasn't figured out that she's been spayed. There are days she is easy going, and days she is beyond stubborn about stupid stuff. DH came close to taking her back to the kennel last week because of her behavior and seemingly no rhyme or reason for it.

Today though, she had an incredible day. I didn't have to coax, trick or leash her to get her outside this morning. She sprinted to the back door and did her business without a fuss. She had a great day with DH while I was at work, he took her for a car ride and she jumped right in the back of the car (when moody she will refuse to go on a ride). We had a dinner with a friend planned and didn't want to wreck her good mood so we ran a little experiment: leaving her home for the first extended time uncrated.

So we went out....and came home to a wagging tail, kisses, and no evidence of disaster. No accidents, no chewed on furniture, and no evidence of counter surfing. Could it be that the Super Girl can be trusted in an empty house?

She willingly went outside when we got home, was playful all night---a good hour later she ran into the bedroom where I was watching TWC following the storm and barked at me, twice. (it didn't sound like an angry bark) I think she tried to roo outside after we got home. It was a sound I had never heard from her and she was happy as a clam and did a second round of zoomies in the back yard.

Could it be that she is ready? I know 1 time isn't definitive, but she handled it so impressively. Thoughts?

Guest twogreytkids

After my boy totally destroyed his crate, I decided to leave him out on his own when I had to leave the house. I did some dogproofing, but that was it. Came home to find the house just the way that I left it.

He hasn't been crated since.

Marcy

I have long been on record as saying crates are vastly overrated.

I only use them with doors open (when I have a shy foster) or for medical reasons. Baby gates are often a good in between crating and total freedom.

Lots and lots of hounds straight of the track, farm or hauler have come to me that were never crated. Some may not agree, but that's the way we roll. :blush

One Dallas group ask me to take a foster specifically because I don't generally crate. He had injured himself trying to get out of a crate so he came to me.

I agree she might be telling you something. Listen to her. I'm nobody special but I do try to think like a dog if that makes sense....

gallery_8149_3261_283.jpg

She could well be ready. Some people (me for one) never crate, and never would, except possibly for medical reasons.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Guest 4dogscrazy

I got my crates back out when I added in a new boy and they were establishing who was boss (?) when I first brought him home. They were fighting at night over beds, he was pushy and dominating and the girls, who were established, did not enjoy him. All is well now and I only used the crates for about four months until they settled down.

I wouldn't normally use crates, I use muzzles for when I'm not home. I actually gave all the crates to my group, with the exception of one to keep for medical emergencies. I did crate them when I first brought them home, but I don't think it was really necessary, just me being nervous and following directions. I think she'll be fine!

Just a note about her stubborn behaviors, mine are usually only stubborn when they are really really afraid or very confused! She will learn your routines and become more easy going as time passes.

Guest SupersMom

She woke up this morning a happy grey, pottied right away and is playing with one of her squeakies right now. She sure loves the squeakies. I actually enjoy listening to her playing with them (as long as it's not at 3am).

I stopped using crates for the fosters that were coming through here. In a crate they would bark/cry all night and be miserable. Without the crate they settle in faster and get used to my routine and seem to have less accidents (sometimes none at all).

Guest SupersMom

Super doesn't sleep in a crate, she has always slept on her bed next to ours. The only time we use a crate has been if we have to leave for more than 5 minutes. Last night we left her uncrated while we met a friend for dinner.

Guest Barbara

GPAMO lent me a crate when Allstun came to live with us, and he would go in when asked, but I stopped using it early on. He has never been a problem in the house. When I go out shopping, etc., he stays loose in the house with my two dachshunds. There has never been a problem among the dogs, but I know that there are dachshund-sized places where the little ones can go if they want to get away from him. It's more likely to be Allstun wanting to get away from them - he sometimes just goes and lies down in a back room.

Guest sheila

I had a crate for exactly one night when I adopted my first hound and I thought I was *supposed to*. The hound was crated for perhaps an hour when I decided, 'this is dumb' and I let the dog out. I returned the crate the next day for store credit for dog beds. That was six hounds ago and I haven't had a crate in my house since. Now of course there have been times when I've come home to things that were chewed on/peed on/pooped on and a few notable (and funny) stories of things that were robbed off counters. I just chalk it up to life with dogs.

Guest LindsaySF

I'm a big advocate of crating. With my numbers, and special circumstances (seizure dog, fosters in and out, etc), it would be irresponsible of me not to crate. That said, if your house is dog-proofed, and your pup is reliably housebroken and knows the routine, you might not need the crate anymore. :) How long have you had her? I would still limit her space with babygates, and make sure there's nothing she can get in to.

Dogs aren't "moody". If she doesn't want to go for a ride, go outside, etc, she's probably afraid or confused. Just from your first post and mentioning "coaxing" her, it sounds like she is a nervous dog. You might need to alter your approach, knowing that.

~Lindsay~

Each time we adopted and brought a new grey home (Bailey excluded due to her severe shyness), we set the crate up and let them decide if they want to go in or not. Needless to say, the crates stayed up for all of 20 minutes, even though both Ben and Brooke's foster homes had them in crates. I have no idea why once they reached our house, the pillows were preferred, even though the crate was an option. Brooke much preferred curling up with Ben on a pillow...can't say I blame her :)

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Without knowing how old this dog is or how long you've had her, I would say that crates just aren't the answer for every dog. My dog was utterly miserable in a crate. He has never done any damage (I never though a five year old dog would!) or gotten into any trouble.

I say just dog proof, remember anything that's remotely food-like needs to be put AWAY, make sure she has plenty of exercise, and see how it goes.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest dragontearz

Guinness was put in a crate the first few days-each day I'd come home to the sheets under the crate protecting the wood floors with blood on them-he hated the crate so much he messed his mouth up trying to chew his way out. Oberon was filmed in the crate to see how he would do, and he would not stop trying to force the door open by pushing his way through. After this we left the door open and it's now his favorite spot to roach and sleep. I really think it depends on the dog-safe bet for some, dangerous for others.

Guest Wasserbuffel

It definitely depends on the dog. My dog loves the crate. I don't even use the bottom latch to keep the door shut and she's never tried to force her way out of it. She's crated when we're gone and she sleeps in it at night. Originally she slept on a dog bed in our room while the crate was upstairs. This year she decided all on her own that she would much rather sleep in the crate and went to it after last turn out and refused to come to bed several times. I simply moved the crate to our room and she's happy as a lark.

My grey has broken the enamel off of his teeth due to being left in a crate. He had one upper canine pulled last week and the vet said they were all in very bad shape. So, he cannot have any deer antlers, frozen turkey necks or anything that is going to make it worse. I also do not put him in the crate, but he does not bother anything.

My first greyhound, Flossie loved her crate, kept it up for 7 yrs, door always open, until she passed away. 2nd greyhound, Kerri went into the crate once, didn't like it and never used it. 3rd greyhound, Abel, crated him in the begining, he busted out of it. no more crates here. If I need to separate the two, I use a baby gate and it works fine :)

gallery_1200_2898_10946.jpg

Guest Greyt_dog_lover

Well I would continue to crate because if your DH is ready to give the dog back because of tranistion problems, what will he do if you come home to torn up furnature, or accidents? Sounds like DH doesnt understand/accept full responsibility of owning a dog. Just my observation from your short post.

Guest SupersMom

Four greyt days...then I come home late from work. (school open house) DH is with her all day. She reverts back to moody dog status and AFTER last call outside proceeds to urinate in our bedroom again, this time on part of the blanket that was folded down to the floor.

I interrupted her mid-stream and she stopped. Our local adoption kennel advisor told us after her last urinating incident that she was being a twit.

What happens when I'm late because of Faculty meetings, trainings or (I'm a music teacher) a concert with the kids? Even though my DH is home, and repeatedly offers the back yard to her, walks her when I'm unable to and we both make she she has had a late night opportunity to relieve herself---it seems whenever something isn't to her liking we get the moody dog routine and she urinates in the bedroom. There is no way this is a lack of bladder control. This only happens in conjunction with the moody dog syndrome. Grrrrrr

She will learn and adapt. It might not be on your timeline, but it will be on hers. I've learned this first hand through Carl. She needs to learn to trust you and accept you and it doesn't come on a silver platter overnight, it comes with time and bonding. Work with her, walk with her, take an obedience class, spend more time bonding with her and while you are doing that...buy some rewashable pee pads and teach her where to go if she decides to release when you aren't home and she's in the house.

Sunsands Doodles: Doodles aka Claire, Bella Run Softly: Softy aka Bowie (the Diamond Dog)

Missing my beautiful boy Sunsands Carl 2.25.2003 - 4.1.2014

Guest LindsaySF

Again, dogs are not "moody". Clearly the change in routine/schedule was a problem for her, it probably confused her or caused anxiety. On days that you come home late, you might need to take her out a few more times than usual, or take her for a longer walk.

If your DH is there all day with the dog, he should be watching her so she can't pee in the house. If she won't go outside (fenced yard?) on her own, then have him take her for a walk to make sure she potties. If she won't go for a walk (or get into the car, etc), she is probably AFRAID, and that's something else that needs special attention.

Our local adoption kennel advisor told us after her last urinating incident that she was being a twit.

Umm.... Wow blink.gif

Well I would continue to crate because if your DH is ready to give the dog back because of tranistion problems, what will he do if you come home to torn up furnature, or accidents? Sounds like DH doesnt understand/accept full responsibility of owning a dog. Just my observation from your short post.

Was your DH on board with getting this dog? Because it doesn't seem like he wants the responsibility of caring for her when you're not home. Maybe the dog is afraid of your DH. From your posts she seems like a nervous dog. Calling her "moody" and assuming she's peeing intentionally because "something isn't to her liking" will not help. She probably doesn't understand yet that she needs to go outside. Track dogs are not housebroken, they are crate-trained. You can't be mad at her because she doesn't know any better.

I can't imagine not crating. Diesel LOVES his crate, in fact 90% of the time when I'm home he goes in there with the door open. Likely because the 2" memory foam is the most comfortable place in the house :). When I am getting ready for work he wait's by the door to get his dentabone treat :dogcookie , and goes right in. With seperation anxiety no way would I leave him loose when not home. The house and him would be destroyed...