Fungal Infection In Sinus - Aspergillosis?

Guest burgerandfrey

Guest burgerandfrey

We should have confirmation next week, but we think that our 7-year-old boy Zeke has a fungal infection... possibly aspergillosis but could also be something else.

He raced in Colorado until he was 4 and then lived a foster homes in the Puget Sound region until we adopted him a couple of years ago. He has been a very healthy dog up until recently. His problems started a few months back when a cat attacked him on our walk. He was on a leash and the cat jumped him from a yard we walked past. He had a nasty infection with an abscess and had to take antibiotics for awhile. He quickly got better, but a couple of months ago we took him back to the vet because he had a brief and mild nosebleed. Then a few weeks ago we took him in because he was licking his rear a lot and his anus looked raw and painful. They figured it was an allergy (he has been cleaning up around our baby girl's high chair) and put him on Prednisone (which can suppress the immune system). Soon after the Prednisone started we noticed his left eye was discharging quite a bit. He always had trails from tearing going down that side of his face. He has had eye allergies in the past so we gave him some eye drops but they did not help. Then last Friday we noticed something that horrified and saddened us: A bulge protruding from his skull right behind his left eye (the one discharging and also the side of his nose that bled). We immediately thought cancer :cry1

We lost our previous greyhound at age 11 because of a rare form of cancer, so we have been incredibly stressed. We took him back to our vet and she examined his head and eye. Nothing jumped out at her. She thought yes... it could be cancer. Could be a fungus, although they are rare in dogs around here. It could also be remnants of the bacterial infection he had been treated for months earlier coming back...though she thought it was unlikely it would come back in a different place. She also thought it could be a sting or a bite. Rather than put him under general for a thorough set of x-rays she proposed starting him on some antibiotics and Benadryl. No change yet, but he has only been on them for four days. Our vet called us back yesterday and said that after doing some research she believes a fungal infection is most likely. She wants us to bring him in for a blood test, but we won't know anything until next week.

As far as behavior goes Zeke seems totally normal. No seizures and no mood changes. He doesn't appear to be in any pain (although it hurts him to press on the bulge). He sneezes sometimes, but not often. He still loves to go for long walks and chase his ball in the yard... and chase our female greyhound Lola. The Benadryl has made him sleep a bit more, but when he hears the leash or the cookie box he is up and at 'em even before Lola is.

Given that he still a young and healthy dog we want to pursue whatever treatment stands a good chance of working as long as it isn't extremely traumatic for Zeke. I know there are some surgical options for applying topical antifungals and attempting to remove the fungus. Our vet said that in advanced cases where the fungus grows out of the nasal cavity the treatment is usually an oral anti-fungal. She has warned us that treatment options can be quite expensive, but again...he's a young dog and a wonderful addition to our family so we want to do what we can if it has a shot.

If anyone has any past experience or advice it would be appreciated. A search just turned up the following post from 2007:

http://forum.greytalk.com/index.php/topic/177515-cancer-or-fungal/page__p__2928982__hl__%2Baspergillosis+%2B__fromsearch__1#entry2928982

Humm- interesting case- thanks for sharing. Agreed, it's funny how whatever this is flaired after starting the pred.

Has your vet mentioned a possible scan/MRI?

Please keep us posted on Zeke's progress!

Edited to ask-- is there any discharge that you might be able to culture??

Edited by tbhounds

I honestly would want the x-rays ASAP, and a culture of the discharge. Without specific testing / imaging, there's really no way to tell what the problem could be.

Sending lots of hugs and best luck.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest burgerandfrey

It was cancer. Sadly we had Zeke euthanized on Friday the 26th.

It was a very aggressive nasal/sinus cancer. Soon after I wrote my original message we saw more swelling, edema of the muzzle area, bleeding from both nostrils, seizures (including grand mal), a decreasing ability to walk, and a decreasing appetite. Valium controlled the seizures, and Tramadol controlled the pain for a bit. We decided it was time to say goodbye when he could no longer stand up, would no longer eat (except for a little yogurt), and the Tramadol was no longer controlling the pain as effectively. We probably should have let him go a few days earlier, but we were still hoping it was fungal even though a test for that came back negative (false negatives are common). We wanted to give the anti-fungal a couple more days to see if it would work, and for a couple of days he actually seemed to improve. Even just 24 hours before we said goodbye, I had convinced myself that he was getting better. Two weeks earlier he was going for multi-mile walks and seemed to feel fine.

This weekend we are taking our other greyhound, Lola, on a trip to get away. It was a trip we had hoped to take with both dogs, but I guess we will have to take it in honor of Zeke now. He will be missed.

Sean

Oh no. I'm so sorry, Sean. Sending gentle hugs to you and yours.

Godspeed, Zeke.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

Sean :cry1

I am so very sorry to read about Zeke. Last year, I lost my heartdog Indy to nasal cancer (I think I posted re nasal bleeding, etc). Indy presented a bit differently and actually lived almost 1-1/4 yrs (as in good quality of life) after the nosebleeds started. Early diagnostics were negative or inconclusive but eventually the nasal mass was confirmed via CT scan. Indy's cancer wasn't on such a fast track as Zeke's. But losing him totally broke my heart, so I understand.

Poor sweet babes. Sigh. Hugs to you and an eternity filled with an unlimited supply of biscuits for Zeke. :dogcookie That's what my Indy would have wished for. :brokenheart

Edited by IndyandHollyluv

I'm so sorry your lost your baby - way too young. sad.gif I hope you'll find your time away healing. grouphug.gif

gallery_7491_3326_2049.jpg

Deirdre with Conor (Daring Pocobueno), Keeva (Kiowa Mimi Mona), & kittehs Gemma & robthomas.

Our beloved angels Faolin & Liath, & kittehs Mona & Caesar. Remembering Bobby, Doc McCoy, & Chip McGrath.

"He feeds you, pets you, adores you, collects your poop in a bag. There's only one explanation: you are a hairy little god." Nick Galifinakis