Recipe For Dog Version Of Meatloaf

Sorcha

When an old dog goes off their food and there is no medical reason for it, this recipe has not failed me yet. I used it for Tuna the greyhound, and a year after she passed away I am now making batches for my 18 year old Llewlyn setter.

Meatloaf for dogs:

2 pounds lean ground beef

3 eggs

2 to 3 cups crushed dry food (I use the blender to crush it)

1 cup peanut butter

Mix it all together. Usually I mix the beef, eggs and dog food first, then add in the peanut butter.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Bake in cupcake trays (the above ingredients make a total of 24) if you want individual servings, or else use meatloaf pans (be sure to first coat with non-stick cooking spray, I use the alcohol-free variety).

Optional: Top with a spoonful of crushed dog food if you have some left over.

Bake at 350 degrees for 40 to 45 minutes.

Once cooled, leftovers can be frozen to take out as needed.

I find myself in just that situation with my 10 year old Piper and have been trying various add ins to his kibble with reasonable success. I like the sound of this doggy meatloaf and will give it a try. Thanks for sharing it.

--Lucy

gallery_2398_3082_9958.jpg
Lucy with Greyhound Nate and OSH Tinker. With loving memories of MoMo (FTH Chyna Moon), Spirit, Miles the slinky kitty (OSH), Piper "The Perfect" (Oneco Chaplin), Winston, Yoda, Hector, and Claire.

hhhmmmm...I can smell a special birthday dinner. Brooke will be turning 5 pretty soon...thanks for sharing

Jan with precious pups Emmy (Stormin J Flag) and Simon (Nitro Si) and Abbey Field.  Missing my angels: Bailey Buffetbobleclair 11/11/98-17/12/09; Ben Task Rapid Wave 5/5/02-2/11/15; Brooke Glo's Destroyer 7/09/06-21/06/16 and Katie Crazykatiebug 12/11/06 -21/08/21. My blog about grief The reality is that you will grieve forever. You will not get over the loss of a loved one; you will learn to live with it. You will rebuild yourself around the loss you have suffered. You will be whole again but you will never be the same. Nor should you be the same, nor would you want to. Elisabeth Kübler-Ross

Guest KennelMom

I'm usually pretty "meh" over 'dog food' recipes, but I really like this one...using crushed dog food is very clever and much more nutrition than bread crumbs or other binders...

We used a food processor to crush kibble back when we were raising the puppies and it destroyed the blade...I'd probably use a ziploc bag and hammer :lol

Guest IrskasMom

Two Meatloafs are in the Oven as we type. My Morty is such a poor Eater and so it sounded good and easy enough for me. I'll give it a try. :):):)

Thank you Sara for posting this Recipe :)

Edited by IrskasMom

I am happy to share it, I hope it works for anyone that tries it for their dogs as well as it's worked for my dogs. I think I posted it last year, too, but after making a batch last night I thought it deserved to be shared again!

I did think I was pretty clever last year when I used the dry dog food that she had turned up her nose to, only to gobble it down once it was transformed into these "meatloafs"! I only use the blender because I don't have a food processor. I use the "pulse" option on high. It's survived many, many uses chopping up the dog food and the blades are still good to go.

Eirka: Let me know if it wins Morty over!

Oops, Erika sorry about the typo in your name in my last post!!

I guess blenders crush ice, so they're probably better equipPed to handle kibble....

I have to admit, I was laughing at the image of you pounding dry dog food in a baggie using a hammer! You know, you can get a blender these days for under $20 :lol

Your timing is perfect, thank you for sharing this recipe again. My two skinnies will be trying it out this weekend.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.