Why Do They Only Pee On Wool Rugs?

Guest BrianRke

Guest BrianRke

Has anyone else noticed a tendency for your dogs to pee only on wool rugs? All 3 of mine are housetrained for the most part but anytime they have had an accident, its always on a wool rug, not a synthetic fiber rug. I now only have one wool rug left in the house and I usually keep the doors shut to that part of the house. The other day I left the doors open and, once again, they had pee'd on that rug.

This has happened numerous times to different rugs (b4 I replaced them with synthetic rugs). I wonder if it has anything to do with wool coming from a sheep? maybe they smell the animal and want to mark it?

Diamond especially likes wool, and has never done anything on the synthetic ones.

just my thought for the day.

Guest KennelMom

wool is so processed by the time it ends up in a rug for sale commercially that I can't imagine it bears any resemblance (or smell) of the original animal. My guess is that it's a texture thing or a location thing. If it has anything to do with smell, maybe it's because it's a more natural smell and less "chemically" than a synthetic fabric rug :dunno

We may never know.... :huh

Yes! I had two, decorative wool area rugs in the dining room. Both times Wendy has had diarrhea, she went on the rugs! Needless to say, the rugs were cleaned and now are neatly rolled up in a closet.

Irene ~ Owned and Operated by Jenny (Jenny Rocks ~ 11/24/17) ~ JRo, Jenny from the Track

Lola (AMF Won't Forget ~ 04/29/15 -07/22/19) - My girl. I'll always love you.

Wendy (Lost Footing ~ 12/11/05 - 08/18/17) ~ Forever in our hearts. "I am yours, you are mine".

In your case, perhaps the dog smells the previous urine spot. It's REALLY tough to remove it to the point that a dog can't smell it.

And in my case, no, I have not found that to be the case at all. My dog's accidents are ALWAYS right next to the sliding glass door, because that's as close as he can get himself to being outside.

I have several wool area rugs for him to choose from, and he's never used them.

Edited by GeorgeofNE

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest borzoix4

Well, this might sound odd, but as a Trainer, I have found that 'wet wool' smells a bit like " dirt" Have you even noticed how dogs like to roll in dirt? Then if you watch them, they also like to roll on a wood rug. ;) As to " why"- that I have no idea but yes- there is a pattern.

Second- wool does absorb things easily. Hince why it can dyed so easily. So- its either something that feels like ' outside' or its a rentention of odors.

I have found the ' Bissel pet stain and odor" product to work very well. Better even than say vinegar.

Guest BrianRke

wool is so processed by the time it ends up in a rug for sale commercially that I can't imagine it bears any resemblance (or smell) of the original animal. My guess is that it's a texture thing or a location thing. If it has anything to do with smell, maybe it's because it's a more natural smell and less "chemically" than a synthetic fabric rug :dunno

We may never know.... :huh

Im pretty sure its not a location thing because when I replaced a wool rug on which they had pee'd, with a synthetic one, they never did it again in that room. The only wool rug I have left is a fairly new one I bought. Within a couple days of bringing it home, there were two urine spots. This time there would have been no previous urine smell.

Is it an Asian or Persian rug? Loca used to pee on mine all the time. I did some research and read that depending on where the rug was made, cow and/or sheep urine is still used when processing dyes.

Edited by robinw

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest firegypsy

Is it an Asian or Persian rug? Loca used to pee on mine all the time. I did some research and read that depending on where the rug was made, cow and/or sheep urine is still used when processing dyes.

I don't know...I think they can just smell money. I had a cast iron wood stove installed a few weeks ago and it took less than 24 hours for one of those hounds to pee on it. :rolleyes:

My guess is that the wool smells pricier than the synthetic. :P:lol

the answer is ALL of the above. my wool rug was destroyed by emily's first accident. it was cream and rust and promptly went to cream, neon yellow and rust(the urine stain never came out)! she never had an accident on the cotton durrie, just coincidence, but i like all of the answers above. maybe the expensive rugs are thicker and stimulate the urge....maybe the dogs have a consipiracy going...it must be a national track thing. we get info on bringing home our track dog, they get info on "good places to pee" :o

Guest BrianRke

Persian

Guest Swifthounds

It's probably not the original animal smell, but the fact that it is more absorbent than synthetics (so less splatter) and it will retain the urine or animal odor more than a synthetic would.

Guest Greytmommie

OMG - I had the same thing happen, had to get rid of the rug. I just joined and happened to see this forum. I thought it was weird but maybe not!

Persian

yep, could be sheep pee. mine, too :eek

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Guest BrianRke

Wow, this has been very enlightening. Im glad I am not the only one :) No more wool rugs for me!

Edited by BrianRke

Oh yeah. I haven't had a hard-to-housetrain hound, but whenever they've had the runs, or been unwell and vomited bile, it's been on a wool carpet. Susan, poor girl, ruined our hall carpet (a very pale beige) when she had kidney cancer.

They don't like to choose hard floors, that's for sure - perhaps it splashes too much? :P

GTAvatar-2015_zpsb0oqcimj.jpg

The plural of anecdote is not data

Brambleberry Greyhounds My Etsy Shop

No idea, but I ditched all wool rugs for synthetic ones with rubber backing, and I keep washable pee pads by the back door, just in case. If anyone has an accident they are considerate enough to go on the pee pads, doesn't happen often, but even the occasional accident will ruin a wool rug.

spud_karma_sig.jpgmed_gallery_2551_3357_5098.jpg

Ivon, Spud, Karma & Sasha

Missing Darla (05-22-96 03-01-2010)

Guest Audeamus

Maybe for traction? Like they feel less like they're going to wipe out on shiny/laminate/hardwood floors, so they pee on the thing that offers them the most of amount of stability for not falling down? :lol

Guest greysmitten

Wow - I thought I was just lucky, haha!

I got back from vacation and as soon as Azi walked in the house, she peed in the middle of my Iranian wool carpet!

A few days later, she had diarrhea and guess what .... she targeted the rug again. Even though it's not recommended, I took that carpet outside and hosed the bejesus out of it. Sure enough, the fibers smell just like a real sheep when wet. So I'm guessing the "natural" smell of carpet certainly has something to do with the dog's "love" for it.

Guest BrindleBabes

I have several wool rugs, some hand-knotted. My greyhounds have always steered clear of soiling them (tho they love to lie on them). I did catch a foster (known to mark) giving one a squirt.

A rug dealer told me urine is the only thing they can't remove once it's set, so cleaning it immediately is essential. I used Anti-Icky Poo followed by water. I wash my rugs in the driveway with my carpet steamer. Just vacuum on both sides, shampoo, rinse and let it dry in the sun. Vacuum again and you're ready to go.

:sheep