Eating The Leash

Guest greyt_learner

Guest greyt_learner

I got the following message from a friend who has a fairly new lab puppy - she's fairly new to puppy ownership too. I told her I'd try and see what I can find out and get back to her later. So, any ideas on this one, or is she just being a puppy? (been a long time since I had a puppy too:))

"I have a question. When I take Zoey for walks, sometimes she flips out and jumps up in circles trying to eat her leash. It happens out of nowwhere like a psycho dog. It was horrible tonight but I'm wondering if it's the new harness I put on her that I really can't adjust properly. She ate the last one which costs $25.00. Can't keep doing that **. So, what makes her flip out out of nowhere?? I'm at wits ends lately."

Thanks for any suggestions:)

Could be the harness -- I would suggest getting a different one if it can't be adjusted properly, or using a plain collar -- but could also be puppy sauce. How old is she, and how much training has she had?

If puppy sauce, tell your friend to carry a squeaky toy or one of those tennis-ball tails to give her something appropriate to chew / play with.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

It is a puppy thing. She should teach the dog to sit and bring treats on walks and when it starts going nuts, have it sit. Or bring a toy on the walk and distract the dog with the toy when misbehaving.

Also, tell her to find a Lupine dealer around her and buy a leash. The company has a life time guarantee even if chewed.

Sounds like a lab puppy to me. ;) That's pretty common in puppies and most all of them will just grow out of it. Just tell her not to feed into the behavior.

| Rachel | Dewty, Trigger, and Charlotte | Missing Dazzle, Echo, and Julio |

dewttrigsnowsig.jpg
Learn what your greyhound's life was like before becoming part of yours!
"The only thing better than the cutest kitty in the world is any dog." -Daniel Tosh

sounds like puppy behavior, the pup needs to learn to leave it, no bite. it takes time, patience and practice.

felix used to quietly scissor thru a leash if he was teathered as a pup.i tried teathering him next to the bed- the closet door at night and in 2 seconds he was up in bed w/ a tab hanging. but i teach my dog(do not do it often) to stand/stay while teathered. something i learned decades ago in obedience classes and it can come in handy. as a pup i remember unleashing felix and my other grey emily, both teathered for a minute. boy was i suprized to see emily's leash in 2 pieces. she was standing there(training paid off) w/ 2 ft of leash dangeling. i'm not saying teather your dog, but "leaving" a leash can be taught, felix stands w/o chomping away now and it can come in handy(ie camping).

for reasonable leather leashes try max200, it's an agility obedience site. excellent prices on all lenghts and widths of leather leashes w/ brass clasps. and yes, lupine sets for the lab are the answer or cotton webbed leashes, under $5.

I'd also agree it's a puppy thing and an excitement thing.

We have caught Kasey chewing his leash a couple times. It's usually when we are at the door ready for our walk and he gets excited.

I second the Lupine....lifetime warranty on those suckers. Kasey has never tried chewing the Lupine, but always goes after our soft alternate one that latches onto our harness (since it has a backwards lobster clip type latch that won't fit on a large ring).

Proudly owned by:
10 year old "Ryder" CR Redman Gotcha May 2010
12.5 year old Angel "Kasey" Goodbye Kasey Gotcha July 2005-Aug 1, 2015

The puppy is playing. It's very important to GENTLY work on teaching the dog to NEVER mouth the leash. The leash is a tool, not a toy.

If she stops walking (the human) and says "Naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!" at the puppy and takes the leash out of her mouth every single time, eventually the pup will get the point.

I don't understand how she thinks a harness will change chewing on the leash. The puppy can still get to the leash if she's determined.

Hamish-siggy1.jpg

Susan,  Hamish,  Mister Bigglesworth and Nikita Stanislav. Missing Ming, George, and Buck

Guest Swifthounds

I don't understand how she thinks a harness will change chewing on the leash. The puppy can still get to the leash if she's determined.

A harness actually makes chewing the leash easier for the dog.

Guest ReleaseTheHound

I've been trying to get Thorulf not to chew the leash (his or Kelly's, whichever one he can reach) for almost 8 years, but he still does it any time I stop walking. Unlike your puppy he is calm when he does it, so I think for him it is just something fun to do until we start walking again. He's usually sensitive to being corrected, but not for this.

Our greyhound Celeste had to be switched to a harness after she was diagnosed with a compressed disk in her neck. The first several walks, she would reach back and try to bite the leash - something she never tried to do when the leash was attached to the collar. So, I do think having a harness makes it easier for the dog to access the leash.

My BIL and SIL have a lab that would routinely chew through leashes. They eventually trained her not to do that - don't know how - but they also swear by the leashes made of climbing rope.

Laura with Celeste (ICU Celeste) and Galgos Beatrix and Encarna
The Horse - Gracie (MD Grace E)
Bridge Angels Faye Oops (Santa Fe Oops), Bonny (
Bonny Drive), Darcy (D's Zipperfoot)

Guest BlueCrab

Puppy, hmmm? ;)

I'd better be having a word with Miss Trixie, who does this as part of her zoomies - morning walk foolishness - crazy behavior. And she is no longer qualified to use the term "puppy". She has to grab Leyland's leash and gnaw on it like it's a big game. Big, doofy Leyland just gallumphs along with the whole thing.

Guest greyt_learner

Thanks everyone. I thought it was just a puppy thing - the pup is 6 months old, and like I said, she's a pretty new dog owner so she thought the dog was flipping out and biting at the leash in not a playful way. I guess it's hard to know without actually seeing the behaviour. She was getting the harness adjusted (she thought it might be bothering Zoey)so i'll ask if there has been any improvement. I'm pretty sure she has her in puppy class too.

Thanks everyone. I thought it was just a puppy thing - the pup is 6 months old, and like I said, she's a pretty new dog owner so she thought the dog was flipping out and biting at the leash in not a playful way. I guess it's hard to know without actually seeing the behaviour. She was getting the harness adjusted (she thought it might be bothering Zoey)so i'll ask if there has been any improvement. I'm pretty sure she has her in puppy class too.

Guest katethegreyt

I've always swopped to a chain lead for a while with any dogs that like to mouth a lead and they usually give up pretty fast and forget about doing it when you revert to a fabric lead.

That is a good common sense idea = ) The dog figures it out pretty quick and doesn't associate the unpleasantness with you. Worth a shot while working on the issue, I'd think.