Cellulitis In A Greyhound

Our new grey arrived July 2, 2011. On June 22, 2011 she had warts removed from all of her four feet on the pads by the greyhound rescue group in southern CA. Last night when we got home from work her back foot was huge/swollen so off to the vet we went today. Vet thought it was cellulitis which is a serious bacterial skin infection. Never heard of this in a canine. My aunt died of this. Any one out there faced this with a pet before?

gallery_19161_3282_5037.jpg

Guest FreddyGirl

No, but, sending my best wishes for a speedy painfree recovery.

ETA: This poor girl really needs to catch a break already.

Edited by FreddyGirl

Guest FawnFan

One of my greyhounds recently battled MRSA, e-coli and some other bacterial infection in his one foot. The infection was at the site of his corn on that pad (my greyhound has 4 corns - one on each foot.) When I told a friend who is a Family Dr, he told me MRSA is everywhere and the dog could have picked it up anywhere.

We did have to take precautions, for our own health, when we were handling his meds. Other than that, there was considerable improvement seen at 2 weeks and then even more at 3 weeks.

Good luck! Hoping for a very quick recovery.

~Jean

None of my pets have had this but it is an odd coincidence that you posted today. Yesterday I actually did a GT search on cellulitis thinking I had read something on the forum in recent months. However, nothing turned up. I was searching because I was just diagnosed with this yesterday. Doc thinks it is related to one of the multiple tick bites I got recently when working in the woods despite trying to take precautions.

I see no reason why it couldn't happen in a dog. OK, I just ran a Google search & it appears there is some form that has happened in Italian Greyhounds. Also, it can happen to any dog of any breed. Still, I couldn't find it on Greytalk. Please be careful handling that foot. Though the dog may not object I can assure you this hurts. I was already on several different pain relieving drugs but the pain of this is what finally forced me to the doctors. It was just very wrong. Did the vet prescribe anything for pain? Not sure how vet's handle it but my doc made sure I am on an antiinflammatory, pain meds & antibiotic, in my case doxy.

Hope your pup heals quickly without further complications. Sounds like this one has already been through more than enough.

Absolutely a dog can get it.

Wishing your pup a speedy recovery.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

I posted about Beanie being diagnosed with cellulitis back in April. The swelling spread from her hock all the way down to her toes and up her thigh very rapidly. Her leg tripled in size. She was in an extreme amount of pain. Tramadol didn't even begin to touch it. She would cry out and shake with pain with every move she made. It took several weeks before she could move without being in pain, but she did get over it with time. The vet and I are pretty sure it started from a spider bite that got infected. It's not a good picture, but you can see the comparison between her two back legs.

I may be wrong, but I thought this was what Ranchie (Xtra Ranch) had and Pam battled so hard to treat, but sadly he didn't make it.

2011-04-21_16-19-35_77.jpg

What is the treatment for cellulitis? Antibiotics. Pain meds. Anything else? Good to hear that it can resolve.

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Guest BlackandBrindle

Amanda's Memphis had cellulitis and was on prednisone and antibiotics if I remember correctly.

Other than having to feed him outside because he IMMEDIATELY started to pee once fed, he had an uneventful healing.

It took a few weeks, maybe a month to heal completely, but he never had any problems with that foot afterwards.

I've had it, too. For me, antibiotics cleared up the pain, rash and itching in a matter of days, but it took months before the swelling stopped occurring as the day wore on. I resorted to a compression sock because I was getting frustrated.

Kate, with Nedra and Holly
Missing Greyhound Angels Mango, Takoda, Ruger, Delta, and Shiloh, kitty Angel Hoot, cat-tester extraordinaire, and Rocky, the stray cat who came to stay for a little while and then moved on.
Greyhounds Unlimited

My doc prescribed antibiotics (doxy for mine), antiinflammatory & tramadol.

ETA: problem cont'd to get worse during first 2 days on antibiotic but this morning it is finally looking & feeling better.

Edited by kudzu

ask your doc about using Pentoxifyline. It makes the blood more slippery (increases the viscosity?) and helps improve circulation in the extremities. Yardman had a mysterious bout of leg swelling last year. after 4 days in ICU he was released home. One of the bazillion meds that he was prescribed was Pentoxifyline. I beleive it did help in returning his legs back to normal, because once he started it, is when we began to see the quickest improvement.