Accommodating Mable's Disabilities

Guest Frannie

Last year when Fuzzy hurt his back, we had our trailer at the Jersey shore. We had our spot in the RV park reserved for the season, which ended in October after Dewey. Fuzzy could not do the stairs up to our trailer, nor travel comfortably in our truck.

Len tried lifting him, but it became five times a day and the Fuz does weigh 85 lbs of dead weight, since he doesn't help in the lifting process, at all. So, we packed up and pulled the trailer home.

Irene Ullmann w/Flying Odin and Mama Mia in Lower Delaware
Angels Brandy, John E, American Idol, Paul, Fuzzy and Shine
Handcrafted Greyhound and Custom Clocks http://www.houndtime.com
Zoom Doggies-Racing Coats for Racing Greyhounds

I think it's a shame your friend doesn't have someone to love as much as you love Mable. His life would be much richer.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

By the way, if you had a small dog that you could carry up to bed every night, would your friend think anything about it? Probably not. So why does he object to actions taken to accommodate large dogs?

I have two greyhounds. My living room has four dog beds in it--and one sofa. And there are nights when the sofa is occupied overnight by one human and two dogs.

15060353021_97558ce7da.jpg
Kathy and Q (CRT Qadeer from Fuzzy's Cannon and CRT Bonnie) and
Jane (WW's Aunt Jane from Trent Lee and Aunt M); photos to come.

Missing Silver (5.19.2005-10.27.2016), Tigger (4.5.2007-3.18.2016),
darling Sam (5.10.2000-8.8.2013), Jacey-Kasey (5.19.2003-8.22.2011), and Oreo (1997-3.30.2006)

What sort of "friend" would speak so disrespectfully and unkindly to you? It's one thing for a friend to have a different perspective but to express it to you in such a hurtful and unsympathetic way is cruel. I'd do exactly the same thing for a disabled dog without a moment's thought and XXX what anyone else thinks. The main reason we bought our bungalow and fully carpeted it thoughout was so that there were no stairs or slippery floors for the greys to negotiate or injure themselves on. We also sawed 6 inches off the legs of our bed so it was easier for them to jump up!

I wouldn't consider someone like that to be my friend.

SunnySophiePegsdon.jpg

When a relationship of love is disrupted, the relationship does not cease. The love continues; therefore, the relationship continues. The work of grief is to reconcile and redeem life to a different love relationship. ~ W Scott Lineberry

Always Greyhounds Home Boarding and Greyhounds With Love House Sitting

Take care of Mable as you see fit and get a new friend. ;)

THIS!!!!!

Your "friend" is not much of a friend. Good people take care of their family, 2 legs or 4, skin or fur, no matter.

Some people don't get it, and will never get it.

Don't lose one moment's sleep over the things that were said to you. You're good people, and you have plenty of

cyber-friends that are happy to tell you so.

Our best wishes, hugs, kisses, & a cookie for your beloved Mable.

Kathy, Desi, Skeeter

Blessed is the person who has earned the love of an old dog.

Guest BrianRke

I would be super angry if one of my "friends" said that to me. I would have to re-evaluate our friendship. I would not want to be friends with someone who WOULDNT do this for their dog, muchless someone who would condemn me for wanting to make my dog happy. This person is a POS in my opinion.

Guest Frannie

Wow, everyone's words have helped me so much. I think the reason that his comment was such a stab in the heart is that I have had to acknowledge in moving my sleeping quarters downstairs that Mable is, in some ways, entering the final phase of her life. And yes, more than anything, I really needed compassion from my friend. What he did instead was hit me with a double whammy--question my sanity and try and remind me that she's "only a dog" and it isn't normal to get this attached. Can I swear on the board? Bull** bull** bull**.

Here's something else, though. I adore Mable. I would move heaven and earth for her. And she has been a very special needs pup. She came to me as the most timid dog I have ever seen--could not get her to leave the house for the first two or three months, tried to bolt if a stranger passed us on the sidewalk. Spook does not begin to describe the dog I brought home in 2005. Lots of people told me that I really needed to bring her back to the kennel, including the owner of the kennel. But I worked with her. I was in love. We were a sisterhood. It was not easy. It still isn't easy. She has health problems--a whole bunch of them--that are chronic, and may very well be related to the level of stress that she carries in her sweet soul. So being her mom has taken a lot of energy, a lot of tears, sometimes it's felt very lonely.

But then I look at that face. Then I look back on the changes she has gone through: she can take walks now without having a meltdown if someone passes us. People can come to the house without her knocking over the furniture trying to get away from them. And in private, she has a truly rambunctious, goofy side.

So as we enter her 12th year, I really am going to need support. Sometimes I'm battle-weary. Sometimes I'm irritated. Sometimes I'm just so grateful to her for letting me be her mom. Sometimes I'm keenly in touch with the heartaches of the past several years, and the ones to come. There isn't time to dwell on them. So thank you, everybody. You have no idea how much this helps. The things my friend (okay, he's an ex-boyfriend) said to me were so undercutting, so dishonoring of all of this. I'm afraid whoever said I may need to reevaluate this friendship may very well be right.

I see nothing but love here.

I agree 100%. This sentence says it all. You do what you have to share the love and burden our pups bring us. When they need help, they only have us, and we are there for them just like you are being for Mable. There is something special about a senior pup who needs that extra attention and it only brings you closer.

As for adjusting one's home for their pup, we built a single story house just for ours. We love it now but had hesitation on building a 'bungalow' but we made it special and unique after finding the right plan. To add to this, we have a berm off our deck, not stairs, a berm for our Charlie (a tripod battling Osteo) and yeah it may not look, 'normal', we don't care. It's functional and fun for the pups and if someone thinks it's strange or comments, they are not welcome here. Our pups are our kids and I know some people would think us stupid based on the monies we have spent over the last year to help Charlie but he is our boy and we'll move heaven and earth for him.

We will be here for you and Mable no matter what.

Edited by Charlies_Dad

Kyle with Stewie ('Super C Ledoux, Super C Sampson x Sing It Blondie) and forever missing my three angels, Jack ('Roy Jack', Greys Flambeau x Miss Cobblepot) and Charlie ('CTR Midas Touch', Leo's Midas x Hallo Argentina) and Shelby ('Shari's Hooty', Flying Viper x Shari Carusi) running free across the bridge.

Gus an coinnich sinn a'rithist my boys and little girl.

Guest Frannie

About pain management... a true heartache! With her liver issues and sensitive gut, there are real limits to what she can take that works. Tramadol does zip, rimadyl is hard on the liver, and meloxicam and deramaxx make her violently ill. Thanks for asking. (I do have some lidocaine gel for her feet, but this, of course, is limited in the issues it can address.)

Frannie, I posted earlier but must add how incredibly articulate you are describing your journey with and love for Mable. I know you will say that you are the lucky one, but, Mable is lucky to have you for her mom. It's as simple as you are both incredibly fortunate to have found each other. With our seniors every day is a gift, and as you have seen, there are many here who share in that belief. Enjoy your sweet girl and don't question what you are doing. :grouphug

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M, Ebbie, HollyBeeBop (Betty Crocker).

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

Reading about everything the two of you have gone through together makes it even more understandable that you would make these changes for Mable, and even less understandable that your "friend" would make such hurtful comments :angry:

As for pain relief, have you tried acupuncture? It shouldn't affect her other health issues, might be a big help (or it might not, but it's worth a shot) I used it for my old girl who had arthritis & spinal issues, and it literally saved her life. She had reached a point where she couldn't walk, and the acupuncture gave her back about 85%-90% mobility.

:bighug

Guest eaglflyt

Never ever feel the need to apologize for having a compassionate and loving heart. Whether your are loving an adult human, a child or an animal ... compassion and love are always correct! It's what we are here for!

Those that do not understand compassion and love being unconditional for whatever person or creature .... those are the ones who are lacking. Truly.

Wow........that is NOT a friend. You are doing what feels right to you for something that you love. Friends accept our decisions and offer us comfort and a soft place to fall when we need it. Others criticize us and make us feel bad. Evaluate your "friendship" with this person and give your pup another hug. You are doing the right thing.

Karen

Guest LindsaySF

I think I see why this guy is an ex! Kudos to you for rearranging things for your pup. :) It's a shame that some "friends" don't understand. But at the end of the day, who cares what they think, just do what is right for you and your dog.