Bone Changes But Vet Feels It's Not Osteo

My 8 year old male Berkeley started limping a few months ago. Put on a course of rest and deramaxx and the limp was gone, until this past week when I released him from his leash-walking and let him free in the yard. He came up lame again and then limped off and on so we brought him in for x-rays today.

The vet is "almost positive" it's not osteo. He thinks it's something caused by an old injury.

I saw the radiographs and I guess I can see why - it does not have the typical osteo look. Instead of having that "hollow" or loss of bone density appearance, he has an overgrowth at that spot - it's way TOO much bone instead of any loss of bone. But it's definitely not a normal bone either.

I took crappy cell phone pics of the x-rays:

Both legs - "good" leg on the right for comparison. Spot in question is near the wrist of the left leg.

2011-06-27_15-16-56_623.jpg

Left leg.

2011-06-27_15-16-51_245.jpg

Another reason the vet feels like it's not osteo - at least not currently - is that Berkeley's limping is off and on. Today he didn't limp almost at all, even without the deramaxx. The vet felt that osteo would present with a lot more pain, especially if we're at the point of seeing lesions. However, he does have a "bump" on his wrist is new as of this week right at the spot of the overgrowth which is more indicative of rapid changes.

The vet wants to put him on deramaxx for another two weeks and re-X-ray to see the changes to make a more final call on whether or not it's cancerous. I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait though.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Gratuitous picture of my boy:

BerkCloseup.jpg

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest MtnBikerChk

My 8 year old male Berkeley started limping a few months ago. Put on a course of rest and deramaxx and the limp was gone, until this past week when I released him from his leash-walking and let him free in the yard. He came up lame again and then limped off and on so we brought him in for x-rays today.

The vet is "almost positive" it's not osteo. He thinks it's something caused by an old injury.

I saw the radiographs and I guess I can see why - it does not have the typical osteo look. Instead of having that "hollow" or loss of bone density appearance, he has an overgrowth at that spot - it's way TOO much bone instead of any loss of bone. But it's definitely not a normal bone either.

Both legs - "good" leg on the right for comparison. Spot in question is near the wrist of the left leg.

Left leg.

Another reason the vet feels like it's not osteo - at least not currently - is that Berkeley's limping is off and on. Today he didn't limp almost at all, even without the deramaxx. The vet felt that osteo would present with a lot more pain, especially if we're at the point of seeing lesions. However, he does have a "bump" on his wrist is new as of this week right at the spot of the overgrowth which is more indicative of rapid changes.

The vet wants to put him on deramaxx for another two weeks and re-X-ray to see the changes to make a more final call on whether or not it's cancerous. I'm not sure I'm patient enough to wait though.

Gratuitous picture of my boy:

BerkCloseup.jpg

I know nothing about Osteo but I do see a nose and some teeth in the xray!

I would request a consult from the Greyhound Cancer team at OSU. You will need to email them the x-rays (or mail them to them if they are not available in digital form). There is currently no cost for an e-mail consult. They do over 20 greyhound consults a day -- most of them cancer, especially bone cancer. Go to the following website and fill out the consultation form:

https://greyhound.osu.edu/consultationservice/

Some people have said that when you fill out the form it takes you to a donation page. You do not need to donate to get a consult. If for some reason you can't get the form to go through, you can try them at greyosu@osu.edu. The form allows them to keep metrics and obtain funding, so that is the prefered method.

Jane

Guest LadyChester

I don't think I'd be patient enough, either. I'd think a consult with OSU would be helpful to rule out osteo.

I know it is a hike for you, but Veterinary Orthopedic Sports Medicine in Maryland is truly state of the art and wonderful to deal with. I took both Chester and Stretch there and was quite impressed. Of course you could crash here and I'd be happy to help with the driving :)

Hugs to Berk!

I should have added to the original post that I DO know about OSU and will need to get digital/electronic copies made first before I can get the films into their hands. (The last set of hard copy original x-rays I sent to OSU were never returned to my vet, so this time I would prefer it to be digital.)

With Buster Bloof (UCME Razorback 89B-51359) and Gingersnap Ginny (92D-59450). Missing Pepper, Berkeley, Ivy, Princess and Bauer at the bridge.

Left leg.

I forgot to add that when Phene's rear leg was x-rayed, my vet was pretty sure that it wasn't osteo. I insisted on sending the x-rays to OSU, where it was confirmed that it was osteo. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just trying to stress how lucky we are to have OSU as a resource.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

Thanks Robin - I know that it's always a possibility when there are bone abnormalities. I am not as positive about it not being cancer as my vet is, that's for sure.

He is a beautiful boy, Emma. I'm not there so it can be difficult to say for sure, but think I would feel more comfortable with a second opinion for Berkeley, after *possibly* waiting half that time to see if there is change in either direction.

Hugs, J

Old Dogs are the Best Dogs. :heartThank you, campers. Current enrollees:  Punkin. AnnIE Oooh M

Angels: Pal :heart. Segugio. Sorella (TPGIT). LadyBug. Zeke-aroni. MiMi Sizzle Pants. Gracie. Seamie :heart:brokenheart. (Foster)Sweet. Andy. PaddyALVIN!Mayhem. Bosco. Bruno. Dottie B. Trevor Double-Heart. Bea. Cletus, KLTO. Aiden 1-4.

:paw Upon reflection, our lives are often referenced in parts defined by the all-too-short lives of our dogs.

What would you do if it was osteo?

I would try to get the second opinion now, not later (sounds like you're already doing this).

Sending best thoughts for your pupper.

Star aka Starz Ovation (Ronco x Oneco Maggie*, litter #48538), Coco aka Low Key (Kiowa Mon Manny x Party Hardy, litter # 59881), and mom in Illinois
We miss Reko Batman (Trouper Zeke x Marque Louisiana), 11/15/95-6/29/06, Rocco the thistledown whippet, 04/29/93-10/14/08, Reko Zema (Mo Kick x Reko Princess), 8/16/98-4/18/10, the most beautiful girl in the whole USA, my good egg Joseph aka Won by a Nose (Oneco Cufflink x Buy Back), 09/22/2003-03/01/2013, and our gentle sweet Gidget (Digitizer, Dodgem by Design x Sobe Mulberry), 1/29/2006-11/22/2014, gone much too soon. Never forgetting CJC's Buckshot, 1/2/07-10/25/10.

Guest Shermanator

Not to scare you either, but that is how Sherman's osteo presented. He had been showing signs of pain for 2 months, but with no pattern, and so intermittent that I though maybe he pulled/strained a muscle. Then I noticed his front wrist was ever so slightly larger than the other one, but I thought I was seeing things. Then the limp started. My super-savvy greyhound vet took xrays, and there was a growth on his wrist, and it was osteo. He was only 9. Hindsight is 20/20, and when I put it all together, it was obviously osteo that was causing him discomfort all that time.

Guest snakes

Good luck for the second opinion! I hope it is not osteo. FedX started sporadically shrieking and limping for a few minutes when getting off the bed to greet me, that was a few weeks before his osteo diagnosis.

Guest jettcricket

Left leg.

I forgot to add that when Phene's rear leg was x-rayed, my vet was pretty sure that it wasn't osteo. I insisted on sending the x-rays to OSU, where it was confirmed that it was osteo. I'm not trying to scare you, I'm just trying to stress how lucky we are to have OSU as a resource.

yeah...unfortunately osteo can mask itself. With both my Chance and Cricket I was told there was no bone cancer. Sending good thoughts to your baby....

No worries about scaring me - I'm doing a fine enough job of that on my own. :)

I'll be picking up the x-rays and scanning them to get to OSU today.

The good news is he's acting normal and not limping, so at least his pain is at a manageable point right now.

Glad to see you are sending the x-rays to OSU. The moth eaten appearance isn't the only effect of osteo. There is also what's called lytic growth, or new bone that can appear as the bone expands outward. Unfortunately the x-rays aren't clear enough to really tell if the bone has damage, but it looks to me like there could be some and the larger size of that bone would have me worried. Being completely honest although I hate to say it. :(

As far as intermittent limping, I would like to strangle any and all vets at this point who don't understand that that is how osteo presents in the earlier stages and that if you have an older greyhound who has changes in the bone, you shouldn't blow off osteo - you should get better x-rays or consult with an oncologist or radiologist. My vet said the same thing and told me Neyla did not have bone cancer. Thankfully I took her for a second opinion, and then when that vet said wait 2 weeks and re-xray because something is fishy, thankfully folks on GT were there to tell me not to wait but to email Dr. Couto. And that's how we got our diagnosis. :(

If it is osteo, and I truly hope it's not, the potentially "good" news is that you may have caught it early given that the changes on the x-ray are subtle and the pain is intermittent. Neyla had 7 months with me after her diagnosis and there are more and more people getting more time iwth their pups. In fact, FedX's mom just posted in the osteo thread that they are approaching 6 months with palliative care. So you may have some good time left, or have a much better chance of success if you choose amputation.

Wow, I'm talking way too much about osteo, aren't I? :blush See what OSU says. :goodluck that it's not.

Edited by NeylasMom

gallery_12662_3351_862.jpg

Jen, CPDT-KA with Zuri, lab in a greyhound suit, Violet, formerly known as Faith, Skye, the permanent puppy, Cisco, resident cat, and my baby girl Neyla, forever in my heart

"The great thing about science is that you're free to disagree with it, but you'll be wrong."

I agree 100% with Jen's post. That is exactly how Jack presented but I still hope your boy's is not osteo!

Edited by Jackandgrey

gallery_7628_2929_17259.jpg

Susan, Jessie and Jordy NORTHERN SKY GREYHOUND ADOPTION ASSOCIATION

Jack, in my heart forever March 1999-Nov 21, 2008 My Dancing Queen Jilly with me always and forever Aug 12, 2003-Oct 15, 2010

Joshy I will love you always Aug 1, 2004-Feb 22,2013 Jonah my sweetheart May 2000 - Jan 2015

" You will never need to be alone again. I promise this. As your dog, I will sing this promise to you, and whisper it to you at night, every night, with my breath." Stanley Coren

Guest Tes623

Not to scare you either, but that is how Sherman's osteo presented. He had been showing signs of pain for 2 months, but with no pattern, and so intermittent that I though maybe he pulled/strained a muscle. Then I noticed his front wrist was ever so slightly larger than the other one, but I thought I was seeing things. Then the limp started. My super-savvy greyhound vet took xrays, and there was a growth on his wrist, and it was osteo. He was only 9. Hindsight is 20/20, and when I put it all together, it was obviously osteo that was causing him discomfort all that time.

That's how it was with Tawnie also--we thought she had pulled a muscle and treated it ourselves because it would come and go. We didn't find out it was osteo until DH took her in for her annual visit and the vet suggested x-rays :(

Glad to see you are sending the x-rays to OSU. The moth eaten appearance isn't the only effect of osteo. There is also what's called lytic growth, or new bone that can appear as the bone expands outward. Unfortunately the x-rays aren't clear enough to really tell if the bone has damage, but it looks to me like there could be some and the larger size of that bone would have me worried. Being completely honest although I hate to say it. :(

Jen, you've described what Phene's osteo looked like.

siggy_robinw_tbqslg.jpg
Xavi the galgo and Peter the cat. Missing Iker the galgo ?-Feb.9/19, Treasure (USS Treasure) April 12/01-May 6/13, Phoenix (Hallo Top Son) Dec.14/99-June 4/11 and Loca (Reko Swahili) Oct.9/95 - June 1/09, Allen the boss cat, died late November, 2021, age 19.

OSU can't determine if there it's osteo from the radiograph I sent (higher quality ones from what I posted but still not enough). I need to get a series of additional views for them before they can make a call on any potential lesions.

The poor guy hates the vet and the last thing I want to do is drag him back, but that's what we are going to have to do.

Guest LadyChester

Rats! Was hoping you'd just get a straight "all clear" answer from OSU. Sorry Berk needs more x-rays, and that you guys will have more witing to do :( Youre gonna need a LOT of chicken mcnuggets!

Ack- I was going to suggest addtional views. When doing limb films you always get 2 views-- one lateral and one AP (that would be the sphinx position). Just as an example, my girl broke a metatarsal bone-- the lateral view was fine but, the AP yikes, If the 2nd film wasn't done she never would have been diagnosed properly.

Your vet should be able to achieve the addtional views without sedation.