Bella

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Baby steps...............we need baby steps. Sweet, beautiful Bella, there are many prayers going out to the universe for you and your Momma.

Linda, Mom to Fuzz, Barkley, and the felines Miss Kitty, Simon and Joseph.Waiting at The Bridge: Alex, Josh, Harley, Nikki, Beemer, Anna, Frank, Rachel, my heart & soul, Suze and the best boy ever, Dalton.<p>

:candle ....for all those hounds that are sick, hurt, lost or waiting for their forever homes. SENIORS ROCK :rivethead

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:goodluck that Bella is showing some improvements.

Standard Poodle Daisy (12/13)
Missing Cora (RL Nevada 5/99-10/09), Piper (Cee Bar Easy 2/99-1/10), Tally (Thunder La La 9/99-3/10), Edie (Daring Reva 9/99-10/12), Dixie (Kiowa Secret Sue 11/01-1/13), Jessie (P's Real Time 11/98-3/13), token boy Graham (Zydeco Dancer 9/00-5/13), Cal (Back Already 12/99-11/13), Betsy (Back Kick Beth 11/98-12/13), Standard Poodles Minnie (1/99-1/14) + Perry (9/98-2/14), Annie (Do Marcia 9/03-10/14), Pink (Miss Pinky Baker 1/02-6/15), Poppy (Cmon Err Not 8/05-1/16), Kat (Jax Candy 5/05-5/17), Ivy (Jax Isis 10/07-7/21), Hildy (Braska Hildy 7/10-12/22), Opal (Jax Opal 7/08-4/23). Toodles (BL Toodles 7/09-4/24)

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

We have some improvement tonight :yay

I get Bella up about 5 or 6 times a day and we switch beds and also do clean up.

Tonight I rested her bum on the hassock that is at the end of the chaise and she was able to support herself like that for a good long while. Good long was like 5 minutes :)

She's getting much more stable on her front end so that is good new. I knew her hind end would be later coming along as she's weak back there anyway.

Her eye movement has continued to slow down and she's much better focusing.

She did take a cookie but just held it in her mouth then dropped it. So I think tomorrow will be the day for some food to get in her tummy. We will take it slow to not overwhelm her system.

So small baby steps but it's in the right direction.

Bella rested very well today and I was even able to head out for a bit as she was sound asleep and Kevin was home.

Fingers crossed tomorrow brings along more improvements.

I'm just now seeing this. Poor Bella.

Mimi had a bout of vestibular when she was about 12. She was fine one minute and then the next she tried to get up and couldn't. Head tilt, eyes wonky, legs were stiff, etc. I called my vet and he met me up at his office. We weren't sure what it was at first, but we took her home to see how she was the next day. There was a tiny improvement the next day, but it probably took her a good week before she was walking almost normally. I'd say it was a month or so before the head tilt totally went away.

She ended up being fine.

Hope Bella has as good of a recovery as Mimi did.

sig%20march%2015_zpsgicdhakq.jpg
Wingnut (DC Wingnut), Voo Doo (Voo Doo von Bonz), Barb (Myokie Barb) & Romey (Nose Stradamus)
at the bridge Molly (CM Blondie) 9/8/14, Maddy (Reuniting) 10/17/13, Rocky (Ranco Popeye) 1/7/12, Mimi (Flying Ringneck) 8/13/09 and RJ (RJ What For) 5/3/05

Come on Bella!!!

Thanks for the update was thinking of her all weekend. Had a talk with my two boys and we all prayed for good news today, and we got it, thank you. Please keep us posted with up dates, you have a lot of folks praying for your little girl.

Guest bethac

(((Bella))) and (((Heather))). Just reading this and sending prayers your way. I hope today is better and that you can get a few morsels of food in her.

BTW - I loved the article about Bella in CG magazine. DH and I are both sending positive energy to this special old gal. :hope

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

Thanks again to all for the good thoughts.

Bella is now able to raise her front end all on her own as I lift her rear. She's able to stand on the front end pretty well and will now take steps forward with my urging from behind.

Her hind end is still not with the program but she has always been a bit weak in the rear so I know it will take her longer to get that back in action.

No interest at all in food today :( I even tried to cook her up some home made chicken soup hoping at the very least she might lap at the broth. No go.

So tonight I force fed her some raw hamburger. Gawd I feel such a heal and rotten mommy as she hates it. But she needs to get back in the routine of eating again and I figure if she has even the tiniest bit of food in her tummy it could spark the interest to start eating.

Tomorrow I will BBQ some chicken and grill up some hamburgers to see if those smells help her along with wanting to start eating again.

I think tomorrow we will venture outside a bit. Just for the sun and fresh air. Should do her well.

It's all baby steps right now but there are signs of improvement and that's all we need to keep on keeping on.

Guest FullMetalFrank

Sending prayers for your girl. She couldn't be in better hands, now just eat, Bella! I hear your Mom is a pretty good cook, now is the time to take advantage of that :)

Guest bethac

Hoping today will be better for Miss Bella. I was running through all the things our hounds love to eat ... my DD, the nurse, is saying sometimes the strong smells make you feel sick. What about a little plain yogurt, Heather? Sending more healing energy your way. :hope

Edited by bethac

Guest GreysAndMoreGreys

I know I keep typing this but I really do thank you all for being there with Bella and myself during this time.

Beth, I did try some boiled chicken yesterday and that is pretty bland and no interest. Also tried some of her favorite canned foods, nope, dry food, nope, bacon, nope, chicken soup, nope, Mc Donalds double cheese burger, nope. Basically anything and everything. Even some watered down broth was a no go. She took one sniff and turned up her nose.

But we will keep working on that and will give some tries at yogurt, plain and flavored as well. Might offer her up some of my smoothie once she wakes up :lol

There was HUGE strides of progression super early this morning. At 2:30 am she was a bit antsy. So I moved her to a new bed, got her some water, offered some cookies and such and she calmed down for a bit.

At 3:30 I woke up to find Bella about 5 steps away from her bed, standing up :eek yes on all 4 and she was pretty dang stable!

I was pretty sure I knew what was going on at this point. She was trying to make her way to the back door to get outside to poop.

So I went over, set up a towel on the floor and just supported her hind end. 2 seconds later POOP!

She then wanted to head to a new bed, got her all set up, water and she was out cold in about 3 minutes.

Now I know some are thinking, Umm Heather why didn't you just get her outside. Well the answer to that is the moment I was going to put any pressure on her tummy area the poop was going to come out. No way she was going to make it from the living room out the back door to the yard without pooping. So that is the reason. I know it's pretty gross to just have the dog poop on a towel in the living room but the options were limited.

It was either that or carry her out and have poop dropped from living room all through the kitchen. I chose easy clean up ;)

So the old lady had a bit of a late night and she's resting well into the morning. Today we venture outside!

That's a huge improvement! WTG Bella! Keep up the good work sweetie!

Judy, mom to Darth Vader, Bandita, And Angel

Forever in our hearts, DeeYoGee, Dani, Emmy, Andy, Heart, Saint, Valentino, Arrow, Gee, Bebe, Jilly Bean, Bullitt, Pistol, Junior, Sammie, Joey, Gizmo, Do Bee

Heather, that's a wonderful update. Standing up on her own is a huge improvement for Bella. If you haven't already, you could try discontinuing the Dramamine as decreased appetite can be one of the side affects. (It's a treatment for nausea & vomiting yet can affect the appetite - dunno.gif - sometimes you just can't win!)

Lots of good wishes for Bella to continue gaining strength & improving every day.

gallery_6279_2888_88479.jpg

Hobbes - April 2, 1994 to April 9, 2008-----Tasha - May 23, 2000 to March 31, 2013

Fiona - Aug 29, 2001 to May 5, 2014-----Bailey - March 22, 2001 to Jan 20, 2015

Zeke - June 1, 2004 - Jan 26, 2016----Callie - July 14, 2006 to July 27, 2019

Forever in my heart: Chooch, Molly, Dylan & Lucy

Just seeing this now. No clue how I missed it.

Me, too!!

Heather, hoping for continued improvements for your grand ol' lady!

At 3:30 I woke up to find Bella about 5 steps away from her bed, standing up :eek yes on all 4 and she was pretty dang stable!

I was pretty sure I knew what was going on at this point. She was trying to make her way to the back door to get outside to poop.

So I went over, set up a towel on the floor and just supported her hind end. 2 seconds later POOP!

She then wanted to head to a new bed, got her all set up, water and she was out cold in about 3 minutes.

Now I know some are thinking, Umm Heather why didn't you just get her outside. Well the answer to that is the moment I was going to put any pressure on her tummy area the poop was going to come out. No way she was going to make it from the living room out the back door to the yard without pooping. So that is the reason. I know it's pretty gross to just have the dog poop on a towel in the living room but the options were limited.

It was either that or carry her out and have poop dropped from living room all through the kitchen. I chose easy clean up ;)

So the old lady had a bit of a late night and she's resting well into the morning. Today we venture outside!

You know, I didn't think gross at all. What ran through my mind as I read this was what a loving person to worry more about what Bella was capable of at that moment than the resulting poop that would have to be cleaned up.

A difference I have noted between the greys who have been affected by Vestibular and Ozzy who had a brain tumor was Vestibular hit hard fast. It seemed they could walk one minute and not the next and the nyastagmus was quite noticeable. And seemed to clear up almost as quickly. With Ozzy he started out more with a "drunken" gate that progressed slowly. You also didn't see the darting eyes unless his head was turned in a certain direction at first. Unfortunately he never recovered.

Guest KennelMom
I know it's pretty gross to just have the dog poop on a towel in the living room but the options were limited.

Girlfriend, I've been there, done that...and it's never gross when you're taking care of a loved one :grouphug At least you had the foresight to have a towel handy. I'll never forget the first time I watched Ken catch dog vomit with his bare hands :lol

I hope you are taking care of yourself too! I know it can be a lot of stress when you have a hound that's not doing well. We're all here for you!